What are the cons of removing exhaust Heat shields?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 12:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What are the cons of removing exhaust Heat shields?

Well my heat shields are rattling around and its' annoying the crap out of me, I don't really want to spend 400 bucks to get a new y pipe or like 600 bucks for the rest of the cat back so I was wondering what cons would there be to removing the heat shields on the exhaust? Plus anyone know how to do it? Thanks in advance!

Old 03-06-2009, 01:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
heat...

Old 03-06-2009, 01:06 PM
Lol but would the heat damage anything? Would the pipe corrode faster?!

Old 03-06-2009, 01:29 PM
I would think that the heat wouldn't damage anything since the HFC doesn't have a heat shield and the cat is hotter than the Y-pipe (which is what I am assuming you are talking about here). I think that our exhaust is all stainless so I don't think that the sheilds are offering much additional protection. Probably very small effect but hot exhaust takes up more volume so it travels faster down the pipe which increases scavenging, retaining as much heat in the exhaust is better which tranlsates to keeping the heat shield is better, by 0.0001% .

Tha heat shields on the Y-Pipe are clamped on so maybe the clamps are just loose? All things being equal, I would keep the heat shields on if possible. The transmission tunnel would get warm everytime you drive without them.

If the shields are hitting with your HFC then maybe just trim them a little.

If you do need to remover them, maybe use some of that adhesive backed insulation from ThermoTec or Heat Shield?

My 2 cents. Good luck. Let us know how you solved it.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
g35 exhaust.pdf (77.4 KB, 226 views)
Old 03-06-2009, 02:29 PM
Thanks Rustyeleio, i guess it is best to keep the heat shields on, but most aftermarket y pipes don't have a heat shield though. Would it damage the transmission if the transmission tunnel gets hot?

Old 03-06-2009, 02:39 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Like you said, most if not all aftermarket exhaust systems do not have heat shields. I doubt your tunnel would be damaged. Mine has been fine with a couple of turbos and test pipes in there.

On a side note ... isn't your car still under warranty? Get the dealer to fix the noise!

Originally Posted by Csquared
Thanks Rustyeleio, i guess it is best to keep the heat shields on, but most aftermarket y pipes don't have a heat shield though. Would it damage the transmission if the transmission tunnel gets hot?

Old 03-06-2009, 03:14 PM
Hmmmm.... I guess I can try to get the dealer to try to fix it but they might point to the tanabe mufflers or the HFCs and be like umm it's that.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:21 PM

You may be right, the HFC might raise an eyebrow if the dealer is not mod friendly.
QUOTE=Csquared;3986666]Hmmmm.... I guess I can try to get the dealer to try to fix it but they might point to the tanabe mufflers or the HFCs and be like umm it's that.[/QUOTE]

Old 03-06-2009, 05:13 PM
Maybe put your car up on stands, start her up and roll under there to listen (just watch where you put your hands ). Bring a wood stick with you and touch things you suspect and if the noise stops then you know...and knowing is half the battle...Yo Joe! (Did I just date myself?). You can add more stainless straps if the vibration is not near a factory strap. Just some thoughts.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:36 PM
Thanks guys, I dont' have stands or anything, But i'll check out later thanks so much. And terry, I installed the my HFcs at my dealership haha i'm sure they'll blame that.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:09 PM

Dude ... if they put the HFC on there, you should be good to go! Have them fixt it!
Originally Posted by Csquared
Thanks guys, I dont' have stands or anything, But i'll check out later thanks so much. And terry, I installed the my HFcs at my dealership haha i'm sure they'll blame that.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:36 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
i'd attempt a fix before I'd rip them off. I'm almost positive you don't NEED the shield, but it must be somewhat beneficial. from my experience, they don't throw extra parts on a car unless it's useful, every penny of savings counts to a manufacturer.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:58 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
You'll feel more heat inside the cabin than before (if you remove them), especially around the trans tunnel.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:29 AM
Hmm does a piece of metal clamped onto the pipe make that much of a differnece, My main worry is just damaging something.

Old 03-08-2009, 01:31 AM
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Oh yeah, exhaust heat shields can make a huge difference in cabin heat. I pulled the heat shields off the exhaust on my Porsche a few years ago due to them constantly rattling, like you believe yours are, and now my right foot and calf get all hot and sweaty after only 10 or 15 minutes of driving, especially when I lean my leg against the drive-shaft tunnel... Guess that's what A/C is for, but unfortuantely the A/C doesn't work in that car.

Not sure how bad the heat in the cabin would be in if you removed the heat shields from the resonators on your car, but I wouldn't think you would notice it much in the front of the cabin, but your back seat passengers may suffer on a hot day, since the resonators are basically under the rear seats. But, of course, it's your car, and your the driver, so who freakin' cares about the passenger's comfort?!?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What are the cons of removing exhaust Heat shields?