RPi Intake Scoops and Exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 11:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Csquared
RIght after the cats the Y pipe is 1.75 then i think it goes back to 2.5 as the y pipe meets and then back to 1.75 after the resonators.
Ya after the Cats the pipes get really small and then go into the y pipe which is also a small size for the 2 pipes to meet but after the Y pipe i think they become 2.25 all the way out to the mufflers... ill have them take a look at it when i go in. But what would you guys like better, since the full exhaust is very pricey im gonna see if they can either make an Axle- Back.
Or something like this: (it replaces the pipes from the cat-back to the end of the Y pipe)
RPi Intake Scoops and Exhaust-phpthumb_generated_thumbnailjpg.jpg

Old 03-17-2009, 01:29 PM
I understand the concept of the scope but, They would only be helpful once speeds increase and air pressure increases. They would have zero effect off the line and on a dyno where the car is not even moving I can't imagine they would increase anything. Airflow being crammed into the intake as with a supercharger of turbo works because air is forced into the engine, which would not happy with these on a dyno, could not increase horsepower.

Am I missing something? There are bolt on scope but the intake is stock, right?

Old 03-17-2009, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by EWG35
I understand the concept of the scope but, They would only be helpful once speeds increase and air pressure increases. They would have zero effect off the line and on a dyno where the car is not even moving I can't imagine they would increase anything. Airflow being crammed into the intake as with a supercharger of turbo works because air is forced into the engine, which would not happy with these on a dyno, could not increase horsepower.

they have fans that they turn up to 60 mph and test then intake scoops.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:06 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by EWG35

Originally Posted by G35 {skyline}
they have fans that they turn up to 60 mph and test then intake scoops.
Alright since this thread is being pushed along, I'll elaborate on my earlier post.
The company itself was great to deal with.
I dealt directly with Eloy, he seemed like a great guy.

The problem with fans for dyno testing is they don't simulate the real world.
Ram air is variable dependent on speed, where the fans are not.
This skews the dyno results to be more favorable at the bottom end.

This is JMO, based on my personal experience & other Z4 owners......

As far as the product goes, I just don't believe in it after my experience with my Z4M.
I felt absolutely no gains on the street & as I said I removed it after a couple of weeks.
Several of the guys on the Z4 forums tested these at the strip & got ZERO time improvements.

The other thing that many were disappointed in was the fit & finish quality.
All it is, is a piece of sheet metal pop riveted together.
It looked like a DIY project.

...YMMV, good luck

Old 03-17-2009, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by InTgr8r
Alright since this thread is being pushed along, I'll elaborate on my earlier post.

As far as the product goes, I just don't believe in it after my experience with my Z4M.
I felt absolutely no gains on the street & as I said I removed it after a couple of weeks.
Several of the guys on the Z4 forums tested these at the strip & got ZERO time improvements.

...YMMV, good luck
I have friends that have the scoops on their cars... M3 and 535i that said they actually felt a differnce..(going at about 50+)
I guess its different on different cars. we will just have to wait and see.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:23 AM
Im going in tomorrow so they can get sizes and other details for the scoops and hopefully a cheaper exhaust option. Ill keep you guys updates.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:51 PM
Just got back from RPi.... They said that the Scoops are possible to make and that they would need me to come back and leave my car so they can try different approaches until they find what gives the best gain.... Once they are finished with testing it on my car, they would need 2 other cars to test the product on to see if the results are constant.

Requirements to be a test car:
-G35 HR 2007+
-Stock (No performance mods)
-Live in Socal area, or can get to RPi: 7029 Marcelle Street
Paramount, CA 90723

What you get out of it:
-Depending on the price of R&D, you will get the scoops for free or for a very low price. You also get dyno numbers for your car

Last edited by G35 {skyline}; 03-18-2009 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:43 PM
We have one more spot open!!!!

Old 03-18-2009, 10:19 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
sounds good awaiting results soon....

Old 03-18-2009, 11:56 PM

That's what I'm thinking. If you ram 60 mph air into the car on a dyno, it's going to look more powerful across the power band when in reality it would only get more ram effect the faster the car goes in real world. This could only be simulated on a dyno if the fan blew 0 to 60 mph wind as the cars speedo did 0 to 60. Any dyno measurement with fan will be bogus. I could see these helping on the track possibly, not hardly at all in the real world.

You could hook up a leaf blow to the car on a dyno and get a bigger effect.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:29 AM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
On the other hand, if all things are equal (closed hood, fan in the same place pointing the same direction, at the same speed, etc.) then it's at least a good way to see if there are gains to be had.

Not necessarily a good way to judge how much HP you're actually gaining over any given range, but good enough to see the difference between two set-ups--OEM and the aftermarket scoop. Since the OEM intake works on the ram effect and gets air from the same general vicinity as these scoops, then it should be a rather fair comparison, i think.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:24 AM
I think that the proper question here is "are these scoops worth the $120"

even thought 120 isn't much for most G drivers, I wouldn't pay it if it looks like recycled aluminum coke cans, and offered no real world gains.....BUT if it is a good quality product with even a 2whp increase, then bring it on.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:42 PM
The stock intake systems are hard to beat. Induction type systems have been out in the market for years and thats why most people buy them. Do they work? I havent seen one work in years. Dyno graphs posted to sell product are always questionable due to testing procedures (open hood with fan blowing at the filter), etc. A few years ago, I tried to do something different. I wanted to improve airflow to the stock system and thats where our ram induction comes in. Justin has offered his car to us for testing so that will be nice. We will still need a few more cars to test though. This will help insure that gains are true and they are not by accident. Those who are local and want to volunteer can call us at 562-630-5966.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:55 PM

...YMMV, good luck
im sorry that it didnt work for you. Our v2 scoops for the Z4 were actually welded and powdercoated. The biggest challenge for the Z4 scoop is that they have to be installed perfectly. It is a tricky install so it could be difficult to get just right.

hours of dyno testing and datalogging go into the development process. Our ram induction has been test in France, Germany, Egypt, etc and they all see the same results as us. I would be happy to send you an updated Z4 scoop if you still have the car. And, I will personally walk you through the install over the phone. They also tested in Europe that our ram air scoop for the Z4 improved highway mpg by 1. Its not a whole lot but every little bit counts right?

Originally Posted by Big8Gx
I think that the proper question here is "are these scoops worth the $120"

even thought 120 isn't much for most G drivers, I wouldn't pay it if it looks like recycled aluminum coke cans, and offered no real world gains.....BUT if it is a good quality product with even a 2whp increase, then bring it on.
We are open to what we call "open house" testing. We had other forum members come to watch our testing. Sometimes we lose power, sometimes we gain. We dont hide results. We simply go back to the drawing board if we dont see what we want to see. If it makes 2whp, chances are we wouldnt make it. I would aim to see atleast 5-7whp on the G35 if we were going to put it into production. Also, the same gains would have to apply on several test cars.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:28 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
Are these scoops compatible with aftermarket intake systems? Specifically, a STILLEN gen 3 intake?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: RPi Intake Scoops and Exhaust