cobb accessport vs bullydog power pup comparison

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2009 | 07:55 PM
|
cobb accessport vs bullydog power pup comparison

jsut a quick my own guide and comments to cobb accessport and bully dog powerpup

since having both the cobb accessport and the bully dog power pup i just want to send out some features of each and the differences.

i first got the powerpup because it was the only application available and cobb took forever to come out for soemthing for our cars. then shortly after we fond out that cobb came out with the tune for our cars.

for ease of use i say the bully dog is a lot easier to use. i mean i dont know ANYTHING about car diagnostics the powerpup is so simple an Y and a N button asks and up and down aka increase decrease. as simple as that.
big display and big unit to use easily for pretty much anyone. to use it its on a scale 1-10 hard the powerpup is a 2. if you used a computer before to browse internet or setup a dvd player for tv you can use this with no problem.

cobb is a alot smaller its the size of a ipod color graphics and a up down ok or cancel feature. the buttons are smaller and screen is mini also. i personally like the bullydog better for use.
to use cobb it has way more features so the use would be 3/4 if you can upload an ipod and use it you can sure use the accesport.

some differences
now bullydog lets you take off the speed limiter which is the main reason why i got it. and in cobb there isnt anything available yet.

cobb has a valet map easy download off their website, which limits your rpms to 3200 you can drive normally just will shift at 3200 so cant do burnout or whatever.
and bullydog lets you change the rev limiter by 25 rpms down to 3000. so you can have it valet mode at say 5000 rpm instead of the only 3200 available.

in a cobb tune increases your rpms to the 8000 limit. bullydog lets you increase it to that also by 25 rpm instead of the full 500. independently

bullydog can choose a automatic tune based on the fuel type your using cobb requires you to have minimum 91.

bully dog is known to directly work with our cars and all types of mods we have. i had no problems and my car is not stock. and cobb tune said that you can use the first map you need to have a stock intake or there may be incorrect car running or whatever.
i tried the cobb stage1 with my intake and automatically i got a check engine light and my afr went up to 18 at idle. from the regular 14.3 stock. with intake.

i used the bully dog and no issues at all with check engine or any weird idle or anything. and first setup with cobb with incorrect needed features and my car went whack within the first 1 minute.

cobb has a lot of tuning and car maps
you can check real time intake temp coolent temp exhaust manifold temp. i dont know what you would need to know all that but its there.

you can see real time current speed or rpms why you need that when we have the dash but its there.

you can see what the AFR is or the log the acceleration how far the pedal is pressed how many percent. why i would need that i dont know.

now some fun things with cobb is that you can dyno your car. you input the vehicle weight set your test gear and what rpm to start reading from and once you get to the gear ant the selected rpms it will read like a dyno for you, this seemed pretty accurate it was about 5 whp off from what i dynoed at.

also its like a portable g tech meter, test your 0-60 and 1/4 time tells you to stop and when you go it starts.

you can use cobb also like a shift light set the rpm and at when you reach it the port screen flashes. havent seen it helpful maybe if it was detachable who would drive with the cobb in the obd port and be like ooh time to shift.

with the price and looks quality and customer service and ease of use bully dog is overall winner and with the use of the tunes.

bullydog is simple easy huge power out the box

cobb has several features that i will never need or want to use. it is overpriced for that reason for many features. you need specific mods so it supports your car or it will not work. if you want to get a specific professionally vehicle tune with someone who knows how all that works then got cobb thats what im planning on doing is getting the most juice available without going forced induction for now. so once my exhaust comes in i can use the stage two map which calls for intake and full exhaust so i should be supported and shortly after bring in my car to a tuner and have them do magic to get the most out of it. and tunning costs another 600++ because it would take a whole day at the dyno to process all the map notes and everything.

hope this helped.

Old 05-07-2009 | 08:35 PM
Hey thanks so much for the write up it was great,

Wait so are you going to sell your bullydog? Also which one feels like there is more power?

Old 05-07-2009 | 08:52 PM
Thanks for the great writeup as im also in the mode of deciding on which one to go with between the two after getting some HFCs(or not.... hmmm) anyways this would help a lot thanks!

Old 05-07-2009 | 08:54 PM
|
i didnt get any power out of the cobb. all i did was play with all the features.
cobb stage 1 tune caused a ses in my car right away because i dont have stock intake. and for cobb stage 2 i need full exhaust so cobb app is waiting exhaust and full tune right after. specific to all my mods. obviously at a way bigger cost and way longer tune time and road and testing.

Old 05-07-2009 | 09:40 PM
Hey suby. Excellent write up. Thanks so much for sharing this.

Old 05-07-2009 | 09:59 PM
Is This the correct information for our cars? Cars meaning the VQHR motor??

Bully Dog - Power Pup
Color/Style Bully Dog - Power Pup
Vehicle 2008 Infiniti G35
Submodel 3.5L V6
SKU 3065393
Part # 44590

Update Quantity
Remove Item
Please enter a valid quantity Please enter a valid quantity $353.99
Ground - FREE
Ships by 05/08/2009 $353.99
Coupon Code Please enter a valid coupon code Please enter a valid coupon code Item Subtotal $353.99
Shipping FREE
Grand Total $353.99

Old 05-07-2009 | 10:42 PM
thanks for the write up, this was a much needed comparison

Old 05-07-2009 | 11:05 PM
Awesome write up. This makes me also feel better about my purchase of the Bullydog. I'm glad to see high quality write ups in this forum. Keep us posted for the dyno charts your get on your cobb tune.

Originally Posted by johnblaz2000
Is This the correct information for our cars? Cars meaning the VQHR motor??

Bully Dog - Power Pup
Color/Style Bully Dog - Power Pup
Vehicle 2008 Infiniti G35
Submodel 3.5L V6
SKU 3065393
Part # 44590

Update Quantity
Remove Item
Please enter a valid quantity Please enter a valid quantity $353.99
Ground - FREE
Ships by 05/08/2009 $353.99
Coupon Code Please enter a valid coupon code Please enter a valid coupon code Item Subtotal $353.99
Shipping FREE
Grand Total $353.99
Yes that is the right BullyDog.

Old 05-07-2009 | 11:07 PM
Thanks, I am about to place my order.

Old 05-08-2009 | 11:11 AM
Thanks for the writeup.
I wonder how the bullydog works at altitude. I live at 5k above sea level, and when I drive down to sea level, the power increase in huge (30 hp increase)
Doesn't bd claim 12 hp increase? Do they do a trail where you can send it back if your not happy?

Old 05-08-2009 | 11:13 AM
very nice comparison write up, But is it worth $355?

will i notice power gain rightaway? or do i need more performance parts?
can i save on gas?
can i switch maps while driving?

thanks

Old 05-08-2009 | 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by dmkhnr
Thanks for the writeup.
I wonder how the bullydog works at altitude. I live at 5k above sea level, and when I drive down to sea level, the power increase in huge (30 hp increase)
Doesn't bd claim 12 hp increase? Do they do a trail where you can send it back if your not happy?
I think they do have a trial for some of their diesel products. Not sure on the Nissan/Infiniti version. The problem with getting it from BullyDog directly is that their MSRP is roughly $430. as apposed to getting elsewhere for roughly $350-380.

Originally Posted by hrp783

can i save on gas?

thanks
You may want to read my writeup about the BullyDog First Impressions thread for my assessment. It's located in the Tech Area.

Old 05-08-2009 | 11:27 AM
|
thanks guys i tried.

Originally Posted by hrp783

can i save on gas?

thanks

gain right away yess
can you save gas yess. depends on how you drive.
no u cant make changes while driving it takes about 10 mins to load the ecu.the car needs to be off and key in on position so it wont work also playing with it while driving is super dangerous lol.

Old 05-08-2009 | 03:56 PM
You're Despicable
Premier Member
very nice write up, really appreciate the feedback as I'm in a dilemma as to what to get. But I think from your overall report I'll be going with Bully Dog .

But would this mean that the Bully dog unit would be able to remap itself every time I fitted a new part??

Old 05-08-2009 | 05:34 PM
It works on GCC G's?? ^^

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: cobb accessport vs bullydog power pup comparison