torn between which exhaust to get..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 02:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AesonVirus
This is the closest in regards to sound. (Alan's car)
I know how to embed vids, but can never get it to work...

Here's the link
that video, plus his video of the FI w/HFC are the two videos i watch the most. the one with HFC actually doesn't sound much louder than without HFC, but i do like the tone a bit more without HFC. but again, i really wanna avoid taking my HFC out.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the FI exhaust sitting in my garage awaiting my HFCs which should be shipped out any day now from Tony.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:04 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by markk132
that video, plus his video of the FI w/HFC are the two videos i watch the most. the one with HFC actually doesn't sound much louder than without HFC, but i do like the tone a bit more without HFC. but again, i really wanna avoid taking my HFC out.
I know that I felt an obvious plus in performance after installing my FI.
I figure, go with the FI and if you don't like the sound, sell your HFCs.
Either way, you'll be happy with the outcome.
I also love the way they look...

Old 05-25-2009, 08:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Fast Intentions is definitely the best sound that is going.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by celwin
+1 on the Invidia.That Invidia model type is exactly what you're looking for. Had the same model type on my 350Z and had the same requirements as you do.
I think the Q300 for the 350Z, and the one for the V36 sedan produce different sounds. The 350z system has one muffler, while the sedan on has two oval mufflers. I do think it will sound good though, however, I'm waiting for a clip and review.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by AesonVirus
I know that I felt an obvious plus in performance after installing my FI.
I figure, go with the FI and if you don't like the sound, sell your HFCs.
Either way, you'll be happy with the outcome.
I also love the way they look...
i get what your saying, and that makes sense. but again, i REALLY don't want to have to sell my HFC, and i feel like theres a pretty decent chance i might have to do that because i think it might be too loud. if i can find an exhaust that is known to be more mellow, than i'd rather take my chance buying that rather than the FI. i'm definitely not going to make a move before i see how the Invidia sounds, but i'm not keeping my hopes up.

btw, thanks everyone for the input, keep it coming, i am feeling better about the FI system now, but still not completely sold that it's for me..

Old 05-25-2009, 10:11 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
I hear ya.

I had the same exact wants and I just took the opposite approach.
I decided to order the FI cat-back and I did this while Tony was having his first big sale.
I made a deal with him where if I wasn't happy with the sound, he'd also hook me up with a great price on his HFCs.
I installed the exhaust in my garage on a Friday (took the day off)
As soon as I started the car, I knew that the HFCs were not in my near future.

I'd love them for the added performance, but I'm in no need of them in terms of sound.
If I ever come across another G sedan with FI cats and exhaust, I'll pay close attention to the sound. For now, I'm happy.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:59 AM
I absolutely love my Stillen, but I'm not gonna get involved cuz I can tell I won't win this war. All you FI fanboys! haha

Honestly, I don't think you'll find anything fitting exactly what you want in a cat-back system. FI is a bit more tame than the Stillen, but IMO the stillen looks 100x better and I love the sound, especially since I don't want to deal with HFCs. I wouldn't ever trade my Stillen for anything, but for you - it does sound like FI may closer to what you're looking for.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:28 AM
forgive me for being a bit off topic but does anybody know of any sites that have a good deal on the FI's?

Old 05-26-2009, 03:51 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got Stillens Cat-back first. Then got FI HFC's from Tony!(Has Great Cutomer Service!) With just the Stillens Cat-back. sound wise was not loud or drony. Nice and deep the way I like it. But wanted more HP after seeing good gains from HFC's! After the HFC Install. the Stillen Exhaust became louder. Not so loud it is obnoxious! But it definately can tell it louder than before. At around like 3000 RPM's when I shift normally, theres some raspier? or should I call it more pronounced sound at that RPM. But Under FUll THrottle the sound is Awesome! Not like a Honda fart can sound, but the exotic VQ engine sound! I love it. and there is a slight drone at low RPM's, but it's not irrtating kind, like some say it is? It's still has that deep rumble the stillen was made with. So hope that helps if you want HFC or which Cat-back to get! Good Luck

Old 05-26-2009, 04:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First FI is the best! I did have the FI in my car with stock cats. I felt a big difference and sound was great. I sold it and put the stock exhaust with the FI HFCs. Great sound for daily driving and a lot of kick!. Then I put a custom y-pipe, more kick. Then I eliminate the y-pipe and put h-pipe with stock resonators, sound is not so good but more power is on. I now will try eliminating the stock resonators and install the magnaflow 11385 to have a better flow and test the x-pipe that it has internally.

Ps: I have the bullydog now in premium setup with +2deg and 7900 rpm. Ummm very good, today I kick a 2009 BMW 750 A$$.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:17 AM
Originally Posted by kendroz
First FI is the best! I did have the FI in my car with stock cats. I felt a big difference and sound was great. I sold it and put the stock exhaust with the FI HFCs. Great sound for daily driving and a lot of kick!. Then I put a custom y-pipe, more kick. Then I eliminate the y-pipe and put h-pipe with stock resonators, sound is not so good but more power is on. I now will try eliminating the stock resonators and install the magnaflow 11385 to have a better flow and test the x-pipe that it has internally.

Ps: I have the bullydog now in premium setup with +2deg and 7900 rpm. Ummm very good, today I kick a 2009 BMW 750 A$$.
Can you clarify why you think that? Especially since you got rid of it...

I think it's just personal choice between the two, either way the buyer's going to love it - it just comes down to personal opinion. There's really not that much difference between them.

and "beating" a 750 isn't too impressive... those things are heavy as ****. not made for straight line speed and I can't imagine many buyers of it that actually want to race..

Old 05-26-2009, 08:31 AM
You're Despicable

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
ugh this thread has gotten me more confused now, I'm in a similar dilemma, I got Berks HFC and I don't want to take them off, at the same time I want a cat-back exhaust that isn't too load, so I'm in the same boat as the OP, I'll wait to see how the new systems stack up

Old 05-26-2009, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by kendroz

why did u decide to put stock exhaust with FI hfc's? was the sound better than FI exhaust? Do you have a clip of this by any chance?

Old 05-26-2009, 12:56 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Is there a big difference in sound between the FI Catback and Axle back? if i decide to go full catback later can i just purchase the midpipe later?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: torn between which exhaust to get..