torn between which exhaust to get..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 01:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
torn between which exhaust to get..

ok, i'm finally ready to get an exhaust for my 07 G35S. i already have HFC, and i REALLY REALLY don't want to take them off because after exhaust i'm going with the UPREV tune, and the stock cats are probably the most restrictive parts on the car so i would really be limiting my car if i took the HFC out.

only problem is, i want a CATBACK exhaust that is quiet under normal driving conditions (not too much louder than stock), but nice and exotic (but not TOO TOO loud) under hard acceleration. Fast Intentions gets heaps of praise all over this forum, and i've listened to every video on youtube i could possibly find of the FI exhaust w/ HFC, but i gotta say that i'm worried it's gonna be too loud for me. there are some vids where i think its perfect for me, and some where i'm just like no way, too loud. i'd love some detailed info about this setup from someone who, like me, prefers a mellow sounding exhaust under normal conditions, and who lives with it everyday. i'm not sure there is anyone out there that has this setup and likes to keep it classy.

i have considered other exhausts. the Borla sounds ok, i can't find a vid of the Borla w/ HFC, but i've heard it drones and i would imagine it would be worse with HFC. plus its super expensive.

i LOVE LOVE LOVEEE the sound of the Tanabe's. but its only an axle back, therefore i would still have the annoying exhaust rattle from my stock exhaust piping with the HFC, and the power gains would be limited. if tanabe made a catback wow would i be alllll over it, i just feel like their axle back sounds so exotic and G35-like under load.

i'm curious to see how the new invidia sounds, but there aren't any resonators and it sounds kind of raspy on the g37 so i'm thinking it probably won't be for me. it'll probably drone too with no resonators.

HKS = too loud.

Stillen = too loud and droney.

I've been waiting and waiting for the Fujitsubo to come out, but i'm sick of waiting, plus it will be super expensive even if it is made for the USA. and i'm pretty sure it's not a catback. i emailed Andy@HP about it a few weeks ago and he said theres no ETA on it but he will probably carry it if/when it comes out. but again, its not a catback, so limited gains.

i think i covered all of the options. i'm leaning most towards the Fast Intentions but everytime i listen to a video i'm always ehh about it. what i really need is to listen to it in person, but i don't think anybody near the Northern New Jersey/NYC area has it. i know theres a bunch of threads like this, but i couldn't find one that put emphasis on the exhaust being mellow and quiet during normal driving conditions, therefore i decided to make my own thread and see what people thought.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:55 AM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Robby's getting the Invidia soon, you may want to wait. As far as the rest, I think the Borla's loud too, probably louder than the FI. Stillen is loud too.

I would say either the FI or the Invidia.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:59 AM
I love my FI and being too loud was a concern of mine as well. I do not have an HFC. When talking to Tony over at FI, he told me the cat-back was the better choice when considering replacing one vs the other and which would lend to better performance. That would lead me to believe it is the most restrictive exhaust component. He also talked me out of the doing both given my concern over it being too loud.

Even without the HFC, it is a bit loud in the cabin for me, but most, even my wife, disagree. Outside the car it sounds fantastic under all driving conditions. When I dropped her off at the front door of a restaurant the other day, when I pulled away she said it turned heads and she thought it was a Ferrari or something by the sound (yeah right, I wish) and was trilled to see it was our car.

FI's target is a subtle increase in sound with the same "G" note, but still yielding power. I say they erred on the power side, but its nice and imo the most subtle of the cat-backs. Slightly louder than the G37 coupe is about the best I can say for a good comparison.

I can honestly say that the youtube stuff is pretty much useless. It's fun and all, but it really doesn't do you much good with making your decision if you ask me. When I listen to the FI w/o HFC one, it really only sounds similar.

Given all that, part of me wants to add the FI HFC after my R2C intake and tune it. See what this cars got. Ugh. I bet that's too loud.

Last edited by chapter29; 05-25-2009 at 08:12 AM.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:28 AM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
LOL.... what he said /\

I love the sound of my FI, but my wife is not a fan. She doesn't like the sound inside the cabin while slowly climbing hills on back roads.
Other than that, it's quiet until I get on it. I love it and if I had to do my exhaust all over again, without hesitation, it would be the FI setup.

I also want HFCs, but I'm concerned about sound and passing emissions tests as well.
I'll stay where I am until I have an intake installed and then make my next decision after that.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:36 AM
Interesting AesonVirus

That is the sound that annoys me as well, the funny part is my wife doesn't mind it. Its more of a resident noise or slight drone at low RPM with resistance. Not much you can do though outside of a flap to control the flow. If you are opening up your exhaust for more flow, this is the downside.

My next install will be my intake as well. Go from there, but I only really want to tune my car once. If I can even find someone who can do it. Perhaps Bullydog. I am just not sold it does much.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:00 AM
BullyDog is on order for me, so I'll keep you posted on that. After much consideration on UpRev and Cobb, I went this route. Both of the other options were going to cost much more and also required a shop to do the final tune. Although they may squeeze 2-5 more HP out with a custom tune, I'm hoping that BullyDog's claim of 22 hp and 24 ft.-lbs torque are close to realistic.(although I expect a bit less than that)
I also don't have a decent tuning shop within 100 miles of me.

As for slight drone, it sounds like it's resinating in the trunk.
With the windows open, the sound is absolutely perfect and EXACTLY what I wanted out of my car. I often wonder if I used a sound deadening mat in the trunk, if my cabin sound would decrease.
Ideally, I want growl and purr outside and silence inside. I'll open a window if I want to hear my exhaust.

I dunno. Maybe that's a project for a rainy day. I hate pulling carpet

Old 05-25-2009, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by markk132
I'm leaning most towards the Fast Intentions but everytime i listen to a video i'm always ehh about it. what i really need is to listen to it in person, but i don't think anybody near the Northern New Jersey/NYC area has it.
Hey Mark... are you going to the OCC meet in late June?
I'll be there and you are more than welcome to check out the exhaust on my car. We can even take a quick spin if you want.

Don't go by those vids. I was worried to. Listening to what's online, it doesn't do this exhaust justice. In person, my FI Cat-Back sounds like the FI Cat-Back with HFCs online.
I don't know why, but every vid online sounds a little more high pitched (tinny) and in person, this things sounds much more aggressive, without sounding like a riced-out fart can on wheels.
I will admit, I worried all the way up to and through my install. I dropped the car on the garage floor, started it up and immediately said "Thank God"! It sounded perfect.

If you decide to go to the OCC meet next month, PM me. I'll drop you my cell # so we can sync up.

-Scott

Old 05-25-2009, 11:13 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by san~man
Robby's getting the Invidia soon, you may want to wait. As far as the rest, I think the Borla's loud too, probably louder than the FI. Stillen is loud too.

I would say either the FI or the Invidia.
+1 on the Invidia.That Invidia model type is exactly what you're looking for. Had the same model type on my 350Z and had the same requirements as you do.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love my FI exhaust, it's just the right note. I was looking for an exhaust that wasn't too loud, but just loud enough to hear the engine and FI hit a home run. I was also concerned with it being too loud, but it's just right.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:57 AM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
FI no questions asked!

Old 05-25-2009, 12:01 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
^WHS
I'm soooo tempted to change out my magnaflow rears for an FI cat back.

Old 05-25-2009, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by InTgr8r
I'm soooo tempted....
Do it, do it

Old 05-25-2009, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by AesonVirus
Don't go by those vids. I was worried to. Listening to what's online, it doesn't do this exhaust justice. In person, my FI Cat-Back sounds like the FI Cat-Back with HFCs online.
I don't know why, but every vid online sounds a little more high pitched (tinny) and in person, this things sounds much more aggressive, without sounding like a riced-out fart can on wheels.
thats not a good sign lol. i think the FI w/HFC is a bit too loud online, to think it's gonna be even louder in person scares me even more

Old 05-25-2009, 02:11 PM
I think anything with an HFC will likely be too loud for you. For me I am almost sure of it.

I would consider just going cat-back or HFC, but not both.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:15 PM
This is the closest in regards to sound. (Alan's car)
I know how to embed vids, but can never get it to work...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: torn between which exhaust to get..