How hard is it to change the auto transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 07:38 AM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
^ I think I did the aiming and the pleasing this time around

Old 09-07-2010, 11:05 AM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
LOL! Okay, thanks for pimping my site again!

Old 09-07-2010, 11:10 AM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
NP...thanks for having it! I did the Plasti-dip grille too.
I think I point a couple guys a week to it.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:23 AM
In that case, thanks and thanks again!

Anything to help everyone out! If i was making any money out of it, i'd share the cut.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:14 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Tweak,
I was in a rush when I posted the previous post. I know where the drain plug is. I wanted to see where the FILLER plug is. It is kind of awkward if you only can refill the fluid through the dip stick tube :-|

Old 09-12-2010, 06:50 PM
I let the car warm up for about 10 minutes. The draining took about an hour. However, I only got half gallon (2qts) of purple fluid (matic J?) out of the AT oil pan. How come I get so much less oil compare to the others? :-/

BTW, the drain plug is 19mm.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phalanx,

The refill was actually really easy, they have little skinny filler funnels at the autoparts stores that work perfect for the tranny dipstick tube. Thats what I used on the G and my wifes 05 Ford Escape and it worked like a charm both times, didnt spill a drop refilling.

As far as only draining 2 qts.. that seems really low to me. was it really cold? on a flat surface?

I DID notice I got an extra half quart or so by jacking the front up higher while it was draining (because the drain hole is kind of on an upward slant on the pan) but i got 4 qts by just leaving it sit draining on the flat garage floor. (an a low jack up front)

Old 09-12-2010, 10:27 PM
I jacked up my car just high enough so I can get under neath it.
I already refilled with 2 bottles of Matic S.
Maybe I'll drain and refill it again in the next 15k miles. :-|

Old 09-16-2010, 04:19 PM
Is it okay to switch to Wolfs Head ATF Synthetic fluid for tranny fluid replacement at 41km / 25k miles? Dealer says to use Nissan S or J Matic for warranty but Wolfs Head exceeds all requirements for all car trannies incl CVT. The garage I use will do the tranny replacement for $149, I realize I could do it myself but I just do not have the time,jacks and disposal of the oil is a hassle, wife just needs all services done and all I have left now is the tranny and rad.

When should diff fluid be replaced? Car will be 3yrs old in Oct and wondering about the radiator fluid, can one just go to reg green coolant with 50/50 mix using demineralized water or can I go with long life red/yellow option as that is what garage has that I go to.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:42 PM
FWIW, everytime i read of someone's tranny acting up, it's from using non-Nissan oil. A lot of aftermarket fluid meets or exceeds Nissan's spec, but for some reason only Nissan's actually work well in their vehicles. I, for one, would rather play it safe on a daily driver. Can't you just buy the fluid and give it to your garage mechanic?

As for coolant, take note this is an aluminum block, so use the proper fluid. I use Prestone 50/50.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by soundmike
FWIW, everytime i read of someone's tranny acting up, it's from using non-Nissan oil. A lot of aftermarket fluid meets or exceeds Nissan's spec, but for some reason only Nissan's actually work well in their vehicles. I, for one, would rather play it safe on a daily driver. Can't you just buy the fluid and give it to your garage mechanic?

As for coolant, take note this is an aluminum block, so use the proper fluid. I use Prestone 50/50.
thanks and that is exactly what I have decided to do buy the recommended Nissan ATF fluid and Prestone 50/50

How about the AWD diff fluid?

Old 09-16-2010, 11:25 PM
In the manual it said "Do not mix the Nissan transmission fluid with any other fluid." In my opinion, if you do a complete flush (close to 100% drain), you should be fine to use any fluid but this is your own risk.
The differential fluid and radiator fluid are recommended to be changed together with the transmission fluid.
For the radiator fluid, just use the same "green" fluid that is already with your car. I myself use 50/50 antifreeze coolant.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:49 AM
Thanks to everyone for the input in this matter, someone please post pictures were is the plug. Thanks

Old 10-05-2010, 02:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im not sure if auto is any different.

https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-...ange-pics.html

Old 10-05-2010, 08:52 PM
first raise the vehicle enough to go under.

locate the tranny oil pan. remove the drain plug using a 19mm. try measuring the fluid that is removed. then use that same amount to refill. use any milk jug or laundry detergent bottle. ALWAYS check you tranny dipstick either way. your fluid level shouldn't be any higher than the top line engraved on the dipstick. check fluid with the engine running.

then re-install the drain plug. i recommend replacing the drain lug gasket which is the metal washer on the drain plug.

then drop the vehicle

locate the dipstick which is on the rear passenger side of the engine. next to the battery compartment. with a 10mm socket and an extension remove the bolt that hold the dipstick in place then remove dipstick and start filling. i recommend using genuine nissan transmission fluid. you car requires J matic fluid which nissan replaced with S matic. so if you drop by your local nissan dealer, they will give you S matic fluid which is the same as J matic. find a funnle that fit in the dip stick tube. you dont want to spill the fluid all over the floor. $$$ it isnt cheap.

make sure your level is correct. then your all done! very simple.

Last edited by OriginalG; 10-05-2010 at 08:56 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How hard is it to change the auto transmission fluid?