V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

Whats The Trick to Removing Push Rivets?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 07:04 AM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Whats The Trick to Removing Push Rivets?

I changed the oil on my '07 G35 for the first time last weekend, & in removing the plastic underpan, I managed to destroy two of the three plastic push rivets in center of pan in using a screw driver to remove. And I've noticed the same type of rivets are used all over the car to retain various plastic panels (notice in battery compartment).

Can someone advise me as to the proper technique for removing them without damaging them so badly they are not reliable for reuse? Is there a special tool (they are extremely difficult to get to in some locations)?

Thanks for any advice.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:57 AM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I just gently use a flat-head screwdriver, and pry them out from one side, then finish on the other. That pops it out enough to remove - to remove the pin completely for reinsertion, I use pliers with one jaw on the base, and the other on the point of the pin. Squeeze gently, and they pop out. Haven't broken one in a long time.

To put them back, squeeze the open prongs back together for a sec, put the base (with prongs) in, then the pin.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:31 AM
Originally Posted by G35Now!
I just gently use a flat-head screwdriver, and pry them out from one side, then finish on the other. That pops it out enough to remove - to remove the pin completely for reinsertion, I use pliers with one jaw on the base, and the other on the point of the pin. Squeeze gently, and they pop out. Haven't broken one in a long time.

To put them back, squeeze the open prongs back together for a sec, put the base (with prongs) in, then the pin.
Thanks for the tips! I'll give that a try next time.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:32 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i work at nissan in smyrna tn.... those pins are great to use in a production setting when fresh out of a bag....nice and smooth, sliding gently and smoothly into their intended locations.

its amazing how much they harden up and become fragile after a year or so. I have found they will break if they wanna break. Try to do as G35Now! said and do one side at a time going a millimeter on each side. the 2-4 mm you get is enough to pull it out. if you get the pin slid up some, you can pull on the panel itself(the one its holding) and it will pop out even easier.

we do have tools that are called a "crows foot". its got a screw driver style handle and the metal prong that comes of the end has and anged edge in the shape of a V. it allows you to slide it under the pin head and around the shaft....then all you do is pry it up....finally slide it under the base and pry the whole pin out. they should have those in a parts store or a tool providers catalog.

Last edited by IvoryPearl07G; 11-09-2007 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:37 AM
^ Outstanding! Even more good tips. Many thanks.

Due to their commonality on the G, & my ham-handed mechanical abilities, I'm about to order a handfull of them from:
http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/p-10...-in-rivet.aspx

But I'm wondering if it wouldn't be simpler just to run a self-threading bolt into these locations, & forget the chintzy plastic push rivet? I know we're talking about very thin aluminum here so that might be difficult.

I'm wondering why Nissan did this in the first place? After securing this underpan with 5280 little 10mm bolts, why not three crummy more in the middle of the pan?

Old 11-10-2007, 09:03 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lol cost savings man....save on putting a pocket nut there and save and the said 10mm bolts. thats a few cent's! add that to every bit of profit made to the model thusfar....

it adds up

Old 11-10-2007, 08:28 PM
Received 137 Likes on 128 Posts
XR400R, not sure about the X, but our 07 Journey has a hinge on the engine undercover and you just have to remove the back 4 bolts and fold the cover back to expose the oil pan & filter.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i just brought a "door upholstery remover" from sears for 8.99. sears also sells a set of removers.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:34 PM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
hell with taking them out, I wanna know how the hell do you put them back IN!!

thats the hard part, cuz 1 or 2 of those 4 fins is always bent outta shape after taking it out and I have to use a tool to clamp them back together so they get stuck to the pin again and then just hammer it back in.... I hate those pins, it's like 50 year old technology and it seems they could have something a lot simpler and easier to operate

Old 11-12-2007, 08:42 PM
Received 137 Likes on 128 Posts
Nice pic of your access door. Our Journey has a different setup, the entire width of the plastic undercover has an indent about 3/4 of the way back and you just remove the rear 4 bolts and bend the cover back to expose the entire oil pan & filter.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you look at those rivets, you'll notice that the center pulls out. If you pop this center out (with a pick set or a screwdriver) it will let the outer wings collapse. After you do this, they will slide out easily.

To put them back in, just do the reverse. Pull the center out, put the rivet in, and then push the center in. I couldn't find a picture of the exact ones that I have, but these are pretty close.