V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

Synthetic oil change interval?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 08:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I went with Mobil1 Extended Performance & the matching Mobil1 Extended Performance M108 Filter. It's rated as one of the best fully synthetic oils you can get. It's recommended interval is 15K miles and it's also the least expensive oil you can buy @ $26 for 5 qt, and pickup an extra quart to cover the extra 1/8-1/4 needed. and I was able to get 4 filters for $8.99 at pep-boys.

So for less then $35 you can't beat it- everything else is 2x the price and I would suspect any benefits over Mobil1.

I waited until 16K to switch over to syntetic, mainly because I had to bring the car in for other services between 10K - 16K and each time I went in they did a full oil change, so I had 4 oil changes in 6K miles and 10 oil changes in 16K, all at no charge

I plan on changing this first synthetic at 3400 primarily because that's when I'll hit the 20,000 mile mark and then I'll go on a 5K schedule at that point.

In the big picture, I'm not sure any of this matters at all... most people will never have the car longer then this engine could run. and changing the oil atleast once a year (with any kind of oil) is going to give you 300K miles without issue. These engines are built to outlast the user.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=gary c]
Originally Posted by oughttoreturn
A good way is to look at the oil via the dipstick every so often to see how clean the oil is, if it looks dirty then change it.

Finally someone that uses his brain! If you use synthentic oil change it every
4K miles or when it looks dirty. If you don't care how your G35 runs it doesn't
matter when you change it, sell it to someone that does care....

Actually, this is one of the most idiotic statements ever regarding automobile engine oil. You absolutely positively CANNOT tell what condition your oil is by looking at it or feeling it. The only way to tell what condition your oil is in is to have an oil analysis done at a lab like Blackstone. Every single engine oil on the market including the venerable Amsoil, Redline, etc. will turn dark within a short period of time. I personally have used Amsoil since the early 1990's and have always used long drain intervals. I have been able to get as much as 20k on a vehicle with reports coming back from Blackstone showing good results. Normally I go 10k intervals or 1 year, whichever comes first. VQ's in general are good for up to 15k intervals, but the only way to know it YOUR VQ can go 15k is to send samples into Blackstone.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:09 AM
I've used a variety of synthetics and had oil test done on RP and M1 before the extended came out, RP was definitely better over extended drains, but I'm going to go Amsoil I think, grab 4 gallons or so and live the good life.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:39 AM
Originally Posted by releasedtruth
I've used a variety of synthetics and had oil test done on RP and M1 before the extended came out, RP was definitely better over extended drains, but I'm going to go Amsoil I think, grab 4 gallons or so and live the good life.
According to oil analysis, RP is a horrible oil to use for extended drain intervals. This is backed up by lots of data on Bobistheoilguy.com and maxima.org. I've never seen a good extended drain interval from a VQ35 engine with RP. Many times it breaks down more quickly than Castrol GTX. Redline does well, Amsoil does well and Mobil 1 EP does pretty good too.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:49 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mobil1 extended is actually what regular mobil1 was a few years ago before they got cheap.

still good oil. extended is a load of crap. Oil gets contaminated regardless. Fresh oil and filter every 3k has always been a good idea and nothing has changed in that regard

Old 04-12-2008, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by EncoreCestMoi
mobil1 extended is actually what regular mobil1 was a few years ago before they got cheap.

still good oil. extended is a load of crap. Oil gets contaminated regardless. Fresh oil and filter every 3k has always been a good idea and nothing has changed in that regard
Absolutely not true. Mobil 1 EP has an entirely different chemical makeup. Mobil 1 is the same oil it's always been and still retains the same chemical composition. You are correct in your statement that all oil gets contaminiated, but at what point this occurs the most important aspect. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to change Mobil 1, Mobil 1 EP, Redline or Amsoil at 3k change intervals. Even 5k is a complete waste of time and money. Regular Mobil 1 is good for at least 10k. Even the good dino oils can go 5k. Jiffy Lube is the company that brainwashed the public into the 3k change intervals. My suggestion is if you prefer to know the truth about motor oils, visit bobistheoilguy.com. You will find FACTUAL information to backup claims. Trust, but verify!

Old 04-23-2008, 09:29 AM
FWIW, I was just turned on to RP by someone who owns a speed shop. I took it to Mobil for the oil change and the manager nearly shat. Said he's never seen anyone bring it in. He uses it in his cars and told me it was better than M1.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by shelton
FWIW, I was just turned on to RP by someone who owns a speed shop. I took it to Mobil for the oil change and the manager nearly shat. Said he's never seen anyone bring it in. He uses it in his cars and told me it was better than M1.
Trust, me he's as easily dupped as the next guy is. A good analogy of this: Most people would assume that if a doctor told you not to take any vitamins because they are a waste of time, it must be true. However, doctors are not required to take ANY nutritional education courses during their education. The speed shop owner may know alot about building engines, but he most likely doesn't know much about the chemical makeup of motor oils.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Running M1 5-30 with a Mobil 1 filter..samples to Blackstone Labs shows my changing oil and filter every 7000K is conservative. Oil is still in fine shape.
YMMV.