V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

Anyone ready to go TT on their HR?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 08:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mike@RiversideInfiniti
15k is realistic.

Most people only factor in the COST of the turbo kit when they go turbo. Then they have issues and end up spending 20k to get it done right.

ANYONE planning on going turbo should be ready to spend at least 10k to get it done properly.
i would have to agree, all my friends with turbo is's have spent at least 12k from turbo/exhaust/labor/suspension/tuning piping/engine management. 15k for a tt aint bad but it is way to much.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by _evilMonkey_
if you think about it, for FULL TO THE MAX twin turbo kit WITH installation, 15k doesnt sound bad. look at the things your getting...

GTM-HRG35AT-TURBO KIT STAGE 1 - $6254.00
F CON VPRO INSTALL WITH KNOCK AMP DUEL WIDE BAND SENSOR - $4175.00
TUNNING - $600.00
FUEL SYSTEM - $1261.00
LABOR - $2700.00
and intercooler, injectors, single BOV

i still think labor and tunning should be lower, $2900 for that is bit too much... im sure greddy or hks maybe even turbonetics is going to come out with tt kit under 7k but no installation and tunning.
you prob dont even need vpro, jsut go with haltech and save some money, just find a good tuner.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:11 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by terrycs
I can save you some emails ... Greddy (located very close to me) is currently not planning on doing an A/T. Their plans are to do HR and VHR with M/T only. My guess is that their manifold won't clear the larger A/T. But if you have an M/T ... you're in good shape!

lol, dont be suprised when you see an 80shot 5at 07 G running around in a few months . this is rediculous. I thought my sentra specV was slow getting parts out in the first THREE YEARS !

that would be right around 350whp/350wtq...nice

i am seriously looking into doing a dual safc2 setup since the US market tuning companies have us on the backburner. this would GREATLY assist me in setting up a reliable nitrous spray.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Labour is about right because they do have to hardwire in the V-pro to the car. There is no harness for the HR yet. As well, they will probably drop the motor and subframe to install the kit so it is not a quick process for these cars. And to say there are other standalones available for the HR...there aren't. Right now the only company that has gotten an EMS to work on the HR motors and released it has been GTM with a hardwired V-pro.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by Wei
i personally wouldn't pay 15k to get 400 whp, because for that amount, i can easily buy another used car that's already 400 whp, a car that i can track and beat up

but the price is fair for people who values time

- pretty comparable to other kit's out there, i haven't seen the specs, but obviously you can get the parts cheaper by selecting the type of turbo and where to look

If you have seen their thread on my350z you would not say they are the same as other kits out there.

http://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298225
http://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=340895

- this i find to be on the higher side, because there's probably much cheaper standalones out there, but they've done the work, so this fits, wiring's done, good to go

They don't exist yet. This is not a DE motor. The BASE system will cost you around $3K. A little extra for labour to hardwire it in is within reason.

TUNNING - $600.00
- absolutely normal, tune a standalone and this is pretty much how much it costs

FUEL SYSTEM - $1261.00
- not sure what fuel system this refers to, but i guess you can cheap out and just get a walbro fuel pump

Your talking out of your *** here. Do you know what a fuel system on these cars consists of ?? A Walbro pump upgrade is not going to cut it. If you want the car to run and tune correctly, a return system is a must.

LABOR - $2700.00
- maybe on the high side, but their time is worth money too, they're not working on some janky jdm swap for a car that's 15 years old...

If you have seen GTM's work they are well worth the money. Some of the best out there currently.

(post not directed to anyone, just my 2 cents...)

Just my 2c

Last edited by g35_6gear; 04-01-2008 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:36 PM
Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts
Honda Accord
^Very well put! I agree with you.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:56 PM
Wei
haha, I'm not here to e-battle, lol

I'm not knocking on their quality or their price because I think that their quality is top notch from what I've seen and the price is fair for people who values time, but I'm also doing some reasonableness check for 15k for those who think that this is overpriced especially those who can get parts themselves and know of shops they can work with...

In the end, this is for those people who's got the itch really bad and don't have the time/space/skills/tools to do it, and they can do it all at one spot with no worries, so it's worth it to some

Originally Posted by g35_6gear
Just my 2c
Originally Posted by Wei
i personally wouldn't pay 15k to get 400 whp, because for that amount, i can easily buy another used car that's already 400 whp, a car that i can track and beat up

but the price is fair for people who values time

- pretty comparable to other kit's out there, i haven't seen the specs, but obviously you can get the parts cheaper by selecting the type of turbo and where to look

If you have seen their thread on my350z you would not say they are the same as other kits out there.

http://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298225
http://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=340895

according to your links above, the 6k price is basically:
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...876-Medium.jpg

-Dual Core, Bar & Plate Intercooler
-Twin Garret GT2861RS Water cooled Ball Bearing Turbos
-Twin 38mm TiAL external waste gates
-3" Down Pipes
-Mandrel Bent Stainless Steel turbo piping

price this out yourself, and it's not 6k, hardly anyone pays retail, most of this price is for fab work... so price is especially lower if you know peeps that can do fabrication

- this i find to be on the higher side, because there's probably much cheaper standalones out there, but they've done the work, so this fits, wiring's done, good to go

They don't exist yet. This is not a DE motor. The base system will cost you around $3K. A little extra for labour to hardwire it in is within reason.

I know they don't exist, but there will be something out there, just like the DE, eventually we'll hear from aem/haltech/motec/utec/xyztec... in either case, 4k (or even your 3k base) is on the high side for a standalone, most people never pay retail anyways... just like my old apex pfc standalone, they're selling for 1k at an authorized distributor, much much less than retail... most of the price is the wiring, so I understand that the price is for the labor involved, but once someone makes a harness (for any ems), the price will be significantly lower

TUNNING - $600.00
- absolutely normal, tune a standalone and this is pretty much how much it costs

FUEL SYSTEM - $1261.00
- not sure what fuel system this refers to, but i guess you can cheap out and just get a walbro fuel pump

Your talking out of your *** here. Do you know what a fuel system on these cars consists of ?? A Walbro pump upgrade is not going to cut it. If you want the car to run and tune correctly, a return system is a must.

true, I never said I knew what their fuel system consists of, but according to that second link, they do use walbro fuel pump... so even if you add a return system, fpr, how much would that cost?

LABOR - $2700.00
- maybe on the high side, but their time is worth money too, they're not working on some janky jdm swap for a car that's 15 years old...

If you have seen GTM's work they are well worth the money. Some of the best out there currently.

(post not directed to anyone, just my 2 cents...)

Old 04-01-2008, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by Wei
haha, I'm not here to e-battle, lol

I'm not knocking on their quality or their price because I think that their quality is top notch from what I've seen and the price is fair for people who values time, but I'm also doing some reasonableness check for 15k for those who think that this is overpriced especially those who can get parts themselves and know of shops they can work with...

In the end, this is for those people who's got the itch really bad and don't have the time/space/skills/tools to do it, and they can do it all at one spot with no worries, so it's worth it to some
don't forget the fact that the customer has only one person/entity to turn to when(if) there are problems. How many turbo setup dramas have you read about where you had several chefs in the kitchen? I know I have read too many to count.