V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

Issues log for my 10,000km 07 G35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 03:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Issues log for my 10,000km 07 G35

Well, amazingly, i am a bit upset at some of the stupid and very unsafe things that could go wrong with this car. Having driven a 2006 300C for about 2 years (50,000kms) and having nothing serious and unsafe go wrong, i am quite surprised at some of these issues:

1. VDC/TRAC/ABS malfunction - of course when these lights come on, you DO NOT have ABS/TRAC control on, which was awful especially during the winter time. Finally the dealer stepped through and replaced a faulty brake switch and all is good, but i had about 1 month of driving like this in really bad weather.

2. Passenger air bag malfunction - I have no idea why, but when girls (lighter girls) sit in the passenger side, the airbag disable light comes on. The dealer replaced the lower seat cushion and sensors under warranty but it still happens.

3. Unable to start the vehicle - I am almost positive it has nothing to do with my alarm being installed, because the alarm is off. But 2 days ago, i was UNAbLE to start the car. It detected my key, but it was almost like i wasnt pressing the brake, and the vehicle would just go ot the on position without starting. THank god i had my remote starter, as thats the only way i could start the car. But all of a sudden the problems disappeared, and the vehicle starts with teh button again!!

4. TPMS light - i give up with this thing, i think i am just going to cut the stupid wire. its always on. I get it reset, and it comes back on again!! Not serious however

All three of these issues affect the drivabilty or safety of the vehicle. Now i am not the type to take my car in to the dealer for every little defect but the above is quite serious.

In comparison, my 300C only had stupid things go wrong such as windows not auto matically rolling down, climate control malfunctioning (my fault because of the stereo work i did), and some fit and finish.

Just on my personal experiences, i have had more troubles with this G35 in 10,000kms ownership than my modified 300C in 50,000kms of ownership.

The saga continues....

Old 03-21-2008, 09:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
its the first year of a compleate redesign. Every car mfg has this issue

Old 03-21-2008, 11:05 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
No problems with mine Ed. I only have 24,000 on it but runs like a top.

Too bad about your problems.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:48 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
Thumbs up Think positive...

Originally Posted by MiniRX7
2. Passenger air bag malfunction - I have no idea why, but when girls (lighter girls) sit in the passenger side, the airbag disable light comes on. The dealer replaced the lower seat cushion and sensors under warranty but it still happens.

4. TPMS light - i give up with this thing, i think i am just going to cut the stupid wire. its always on. I get it reset, and it comes back on again!! Not serious however
Hey miniRX,
I have been told by trusted sources that the airbag thing you mentioned is intentional, as the passenger airbag stays off, if the front passenger is less than 110lbs (pretty sure) heavy, on almost all new cars, i also have a 08 TL, TypeS which does the same thing when my sister sits in front, not a malfunction actually a safety feature where they beleive(after extensive testing of course...) that the airbag might actually harm that type of passenger more than protect, they have the car turn the bag off.

About the TPMS, it is silly but no big deal and yes the other issue does seem serious but glad you fought your way out of it!

hope you have a trouble free expereince from here on out as i have had for my 20,000mi with NO problems so far.

Last edited by kool_yaar; 03-21-2008 at 11:52 PM.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes that sounds very familiar I have read that somewhere about air bags being bad for people under a certain weight, I suggest you do some googling and put that issue to rest instead of keep thinking theres somethign wrong, also read the manual they may say something in there about it.

about the VDC, why did it take so long for it to be fixed? And u should usually get a loaner... in situations like that, I do not see why you have to drive around for a month with that situation unless you choose to do so.

I have had little problems so far, brought my car in for a realignment done, I am not too happy about how it doesnt really reverse in a str8 line but I could be imagining it or the guide lines could be screwing me up.. the wheel bearing noise in the front drivers wheel is being replace coz its makes a funny noise when 120kmph and up so thats about it.. all handled quite quickly and car was always offered to me but i refused I prefer to wait while they check or fix.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:48 AM
Premier Member

When you total this G just go buy another 300C. 3 totaled cars in ~4 years is not a good track record but hey at least you get new cars often.

Old 03-22-2008, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the input guys!

As for teh air bag, in my 300C, it was any weight under 40lbs. 110lbs is absolutely insane!! LOL!!... There is a friend of mine who when she is hungry, the airbag light comes one, and after we eat, the airbag light disappears!! LOL!!

As for the VDC< it was because we were waiting for the brake swtich and the new passenger seat to come in..

And the engine start, i am going ot keep waiting to see if it reoccurs.

All in all, As long as my engine doesn't burn oil and need replacing like my 03 maxima, then i would be okay!!

To be honest, i thought the 300C was bad with its 10000 computers onboard, this g35 is just straight up rediculous. I learned alot about the car during the alarm installation, and reading the service manuals.

we'll see what happens after 20,000kms. BTW, like all my cars, i drive them really hard. What surprised me was after numerous burnouts, drifts, and just killing my 300C it remained completely reliable. I am a bit more easier on this g35 (havent done a burnout)..

OH AND ANOTHER WEIRD THING, the tranny, for some reason seems to be misshifting 3rd gear. 1-2 shifts seem fine, but it seems as it hits 3rd gear it stays in for like 1 sec and then shifts to 4th like it was skipping 3rd.. THis is during part throttle.

Old 03-22-2008, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by stardust
When you total this G just go buy another 300C. 3 totaled cars in ~4 years is not a good track record but hey at least you get new cars often.

How did you know that!! LOL!!!

Yeah its been a pretty bad past few years... I actually got injured in my 300C after taking a side impact of 100km/h (fractured my ribs). I think if i was driving the G, because its a smaller car, i think my ribs would have been broken.

Old 03-22-2008, 02:11 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The airbag sensor isnt set to a pre-set weight. It is based on the load on the seat. (load and weight are related, but are not directly correlated)

If the airbag light is off, either your passenger is too light to sit in the front, or they're sitting really weird, because a few cases of water from Costco will turn my airbag on

Old 03-22-2008, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by Mike@RiversideInfiniti
The airbag sensor isnt set to a pre-set weight. It is based on the load on the seat. (load and weight are related, but are not directly correlated)

If the airbag light is off, either your passenger is too light to sit in the front, or they're sitting really weird, because a few cases of water from Costco will turn my airbag on
NOTED!! Next time a passenger sits in my car, and the light goes on, i will be like, "SHAKE DAT *** SHAKE DAT *** SHAKE IT!! "" hahaha

Old 03-22-2008, 02:54 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Thanks for the input guys!

As for teh air bag, in my 300C, it was any weight under 40lbs. 110lbs is absolutely insane!! LOL!!... There is a friend of mine who when she is hungry, the airbag light comes one, and after we eat, the airbag light disappears!! LOL!!
Thanks for the chuckle Ed

As to Stardust knowing about your past cars. Maybe he frequented max.org or tmec, or the Chrysler 300C forums .

Old 03-22-2008, 07:44 PM
Premier Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ been an org member for 7 years

How did you know that!! LOL!!!

Yeah its been a pretty bad past few years... I actually got injured in my 300C after taking a side impact of 100km/h (fractured my ribs). I think if i was driving the G, because its a smaller car, i think my ribs would have been broken.

Old 03-23-2008, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by treacherous
I wonder if #3 is related to the aftermarket remote start?

On #4 have you pulled a code when light comes on?
I was thinking that too, but the symptom was very unusual. I think it might be the brake switch (replaced by infiniti for the VDC crap). ITs like the car detects the key, but acts as though i am nto pressing the brake.

#4, no codes pulled yet... i am waiting fo rmy next oil change!