V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

Newb G35S owner -- what's the easiest mod to start with?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2008 | 11:42 PM
|
Newb G35S owner -- what's the easiest mod to start with?

Other than getting some new wheels, what's an easy mod to start with for someone who doesn't know much about cars? Do most of y'all do your own mods or do y'all take your G's to a mechanic?

Thanks for the input.

Old 04-11-2008 | 01:32 AM
I'd say intakes.

I have a set of K&N's and they're pretty much the only mods I'll have for another year or so.

Old 04-11-2008 | 04:55 AM
spring!! it'll look nice and your gonna end up getting soon or later.

intake, it'll sound nice but with gas price so high... its gonna cost you to hear your car roar!!

Old 04-11-2008 | 05:10 AM
I would say either springs or an intake. Either/or would most likely be the first done.

There is always however, forced induction

Old 04-11-2008 | 08:04 AM
|
Are springs and/or intakes pretty easy for someone (whose knowledge of cars is limited to changing fluids and filters) to do?

Say I change the springs to lower the car, would the stock 18" wheels and tires look weird?

Old 04-11-2008 | 08:19 AM
Intakes are for the most part pretty simple. Springs would generally be a little harder (most people say the rear being the harder part, if i can recall). You would need a spring compressor as well for the springs. But as looks would be concerned.. if you like the way your car looks right now, you'll like it even more when it's lowered. It shouldn't/won't look weird.

Old 04-11-2008 | 08:22 AM
|
I do think the G would look even nicer a bit lower. Any recommendations on which springs to get if I keep the stock 18" wheels for now? Would I have to get new springs if I get some 19" or 20" wheels later on?

Thanks for the input!

Old 04-11-2008 | 08:34 AM
A lot of people like:

Tein S-Techs
Tein H-Techs (350Z model, I think for the spring rate)

And so on, so forth. If you did a search for springs, there should be quite a number of threads/posts in regards to which certain springs people are using.

I personally have S-Techs on my coupe (that I've used with my old 20" iForged's and my 19" Rays I have on now) however, I also have some Tein Basics waiting to get put on too. My shocks are pretty much done for, but I've had the springs on my car foreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeever

Old 04-11-2008 | 08:53 AM
Moderation-free
Staff Alumni
De-badging

Old 04-11-2008 | 08:56 AM
i have been looking for a worth while mod and still have not found anything that can be justified with $ or hp/tq gains. maybe springs for a lowered look but i like my ground clearance. and as g35now! said de-badging is cool. im just too afraid to do mine and not like it.

Old 04-11-2008 | 10:22 AM
Changing your interior (license plate as well) bulbs to LEDs.

Old 04-11-2008 | 02:40 PM
Wei
springs are pretty easy, need to rent a spring compressor for some auto shop, here in cali, we can rent it for free
it'll help alot if you have air tools or major muscle because some of the bolts are torqued pretty high
easiest is if you can find a coilover, replaces entire unit, no need to get the shocks out..

intake is beyond simple, kinda like a strut bar, from a difficulty scale of 1-10, both of them are 0

exhaust/hfc isn't that hard either, it would be so much easier if you can do it at a shop with lift/tools, but i've done it on my old car on 4 jackstands, hard part about exhaust is that it's freaking heavy and you have to align it underneath

Old 04-11-2008 | 03:23 PM
Out of many - one people
I would have to say the very first mod to do would be a tint job. Instant gratification IMO. Interior and exterior lighting upgrades and intake would be the next upgrades.

Old 04-11-2008 | 04:33 PM
|
Originally Posted by rupdog326
I would have to say the very first mod to do would be a tint job. Instant gratification IMO. Interior and exterior lighting upgrades and intake would be the next upgrades.
I do have the tint covered. I keep thinking I should have gone darker. Oh well.

Interior lighting? Like the convenience lights? You can actually make that stuff look cooler?

Old 04-11-2008 | 04:35 PM
|
Originally Posted by Wei
springs are pretty easy, need to rent a spring compressor for some auto shop, here in cali, we can rent it for free
it'll help alot if you have air tools or major muscle because some of the bolts are torqued pretty high
easiest is if you can find a coilover, replaces entire unit, no need to get the shocks out..

intake is beyond simple, kinda like a strut bar, from a difficulty scale of 1-10, both of them are 0

exhaust/hfc isn't that hard either, it would be so much easier if you can do it at a shop with lift/tools, but i've done it on my old car on 4 jackstands, hard part about exhaust is that it's freaking heavy and you have to align it underneath
Bro, the more I read these messages, the more I feel like a REAL noob! I might have to buy a car parts dictionary or something like that!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Newb G35S owner -- what's the easiest mod to start with?