V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

Poeple need to explain the 5AT a little more.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 01:53 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice post. Sounds pretty sophisticated to me.

I'd love to AutoX this car and see how DS does on the course.

Old 06-13-2008, 02:27 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
To anyone who says the 5AT isn't sophisticated.

I'd like to see you take the 5AT apart and rebuild it. I'll even supply the manual.

Old 06-13-2008, 02:29 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
this thread lacks SOPHICATION

Old 06-13-2008, 02:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't leave your children or pets in the car with the windows up in the summer heat. They might die of SOPHICATION. lol sorry I had to.
DOMO

Old 06-13-2008, 05:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mal_TX
In DS mode the car uses a plethora of sensors to guess at what the desired shifting behavior is:

1. Lateral AND longitudinal G-sensors -- the car knows if you are mid-corner and how quickly you are accelerating or decelerating.

2. Steering wheel input -- the car knows how far you are turning the wheel and in which direction.

3. Throttle and brake position sensors -- the car knows how much gas you are applying and how much brake you are applying.

These sensors, combined with vehicle speed and engine data, give the transmisison an advantage in determining the desired gear ratio for the conditions. For example, if the car is under lateral G load with the steering wheel turned 45 degrees to the right, and the car sees the driver straightening the wheel and applying more throttle, it is apparent to the transmission that the driver is exiting a corner. Similarly, if the car is accelerating in a straight line and suddenly the brakes are applied, followed by steering input and then a transition off the brakes and onto the throttle, the car can discern that the driver is likely entering and progressing through a corner.

Most cars do not have this level of sophistication in their transmissions. I'm too lazy to quote my sources for this information but it is in various Infiniti marketing brochures.

Finally. mal_TX thank you someone finally has given me some solid info. And I didn't know that, It is really difficult to find solid indo, if you look at this thread this is the only reply to my post that acutally answers my questions. I don't know what it is, I think most people driving G35's aren't car buffs, I have an F150 and finding info is so easy. Mind you F150 are everywhere, and buyers tend to work on the own vehicles, more so then G35 drivers. Thanks for the info once again, and people take a lesson from this guy.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:20 AM
Just thought I'd follow up with another non-technical/subjective comment about this gearbox, and what makes it special from Edmunds comparison test of the G35S, Cadillac CTS, Lexus IS350, Mercedes C350 and BMW 335i - all with automatics:

"The G's five-speed tranny not only responds quickest to the throttle, but also has the sharpest, most aggressive gearchanges (with rev-matched downshifts) of any automatic we've ever driven. And it feels as comfortable while blasting between gears with hard-hitting precision at full throttle as it does swapping cogs with a simple switch and slide in commuter traffic."

The full review is available here:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...leId=123235#14

This may be subjective, but I've test driven a lot of cars including several of those they compared, and Edmunds' description above is spot on. The only 'automatic' gearbox I've come across that shifts more quickly is not an automatic, but rather Volkswagen's DSG transmission, which I must admit is absolutely amazing - if only it could handle a little more HP....

Cheers
Tamir

Old 06-17-2008, 12:56 AM
Here's a little bit of information from the service manual. It doesnt talk about everything I've read in the Infiniti marketing but it is interesting anyway.

Attached Thumbnails Poeple need to explain the 5AT a little more.-g35tranny.gif  
Old 06-17-2008, 12:21 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
in the G when in manual mode it will not up-shift for you. as in any Lexus or some BMW all i know is the 3 series or new altimas. even in manual mode in other cars once you stay at redline for a few seconds it upshifts for you. and with the G the AT does act like a manual because you can hit redline and it will just continue to hit the rev limiter without upshifting which in turn takes out the whole point of a manual shift.