V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

Poeple need to explain the 5AT a little more.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 07:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Poeple need to explain the 5AT a little more.

I have an 07 G35X with 5AT. For over a year I have been reading threads about this car. And it is clear to see that the Automatic is a sophicated and high tech tranny. I have seen hundreds off guys praising the tranny and everyone says the same word. SOPHICATED.

I have never read anything or actually heard someone explain what is so special with this tranny. I finally have to post the thread, and ask.

WHAT IS SOOO SPECIAL ABOUT THE 5AT????

Many cars have tap shift. That is nothing new. I heard it uses algorythms to learn driving style and will change shift points as it adapts to the driver.

I just trying to understand how it all works, and what is so special when compared to a tranny in a pontiac or ford saden.

Just would like to hard facts to back the "SOPHICATED" claims that everyone makes.

can some please teach me.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:56 PM
brb getting cut
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SOPHICATED FTW!

Old 05-04-2008, 08:02 PM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
There isnt anything special about it. Its automatic, it has 5 gears, it has revmatched downshifting, and it has a sport mode. I dont think anyone has spoken about the 5AT how you say they have. Its reliable, thats all. What is that garbage u speak of?

Old 05-04-2008, 08:28 PM
HAHAHAHAHA. There is absolutely nothing SOPHICATED about this transmission. While we are at it, there are many things with this car that are SOPHISTICATED. One of them being the tranny. How it is SOPHISTICATED, someone else might be prepared to answer for you. I do know that the auto-rev matching feature is a great thing, and keeps you in the gear for optimal torque at the speed you are going. That is pretty kick-A$$ if you ask me. Previously, that was something you could only have if you were a good manual driver.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:40 PM
For the record, the IS series has 3 driving modes, snow, ect & power. The power mode holds revs high for optimal torque. I think having the option of these 3 modes that you choose when you want is sophisticated. The fact that everybody revs about this for the G is a prime example of how some of these magazines mislead people. Dont get me wrong, the G is a marvellous car but dont let these magazines cloud your judgement. Its good you asked the question, shows you think outside the box

Old 05-04-2008, 08:54 PM
Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts
Honda Accord
Do you have a linky to the threads talking about 5AT?

Old 05-04-2008, 09:14 PM
the 5at in our cars is one of the best autos ive ever driven. thats based on experience, i dnt care about the technical aspect. im judging straight from feeling.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by 306HP
For the record, the IS series has 3 driving modes, snow, ect & power. The power mode holds revs high for optimal torque. I think having the option of these 3 modes that you choose when you want is sophisticated. The fact that everybody revs about this for the G is a prime example of how some of these magazines mislead people. Dont get me wrong, the G is a marvellous car but dont let these magazines cloud your judgement. Its good you asked the question, shows you think outside the box
What's ECT? And do you mean 4 modes if you include normal mode? Also is the snow only in the awd model?

In any case, the g35x has 3 modes, D, DS, snow.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not sure about the 5AT, but I know the 7AT in the '09 model will be extremely 'SOPHICATED'.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:59 PM
Read what everyone just wrote, it shows, no one actually knows anything about this tranny. everything is just conjecture. No one actually knows how this thing was built and what makes it better from mos domestic cars.

Does anyone see where I am going with this.

We are making claims about stuff we know nothing about.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:00 AM
I'm not too impressed with the auto. It's short 1 gear and never seems to be where I want it or expect it in spirited driving. The most annoying is when I get off the gas and back on. The thing revs a lot without down shifting. Then when it does down shift, it's very unsophisticated.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:07 AM
Originally Posted by jl114
What's ECT? And do you mean 4 modes if you include normal mode? Also is the snow only in the awd model?

In any case, the g35x has 3 modes, D, DS, snow.
ECT is normal mode
Snow is available on RWD as well
Most automatic cars, including Hyundai Sonata have D & DS modes, D & DS modes are nothing worth writing home about these days.

Someone here concluded that no one knows what there are talking about regarding this "sophisticated" AT issue, I have to say I agree with that post 100%.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:31 AM
Originally Posted by Bambeezer
I'm not too impressed with the auto. It's short 1 gear and never seems to be where I want it or expect it in spirited driving. The most annoying is when I get off the gas and back on. The thing revs a lot without down shifting. Then when it does down shift, it's very unsophisticated.
yeah. I kinda wished nissan would lock the torque converter while in manual mode so that it would have a more direct feel like in the bmws.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:10 AM
Originally Posted by 306HP
ECT

Someone here concluded that no one knows what there are talking about regarding this "sophisticated" AT issue, I have to say I agree with that post 100%.

Finallly someone else sees what I am talking about. Thank you. I am glad I made this post.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:58 AM
Originally Posted by Bambeezer
You totally hit it bang on. I mentioned in another thread that I thought my tranny was flawed, but after driving 3 other 2nd gen g35's, i see its just the normal behaviour of the tranny.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Poeple need to explain the 5AT a little more.