V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

07 sedan hi flow cat

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 05:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lucky_One
i havent not posted my mod yet, but i just recently installed berk's HFC. i havent yet got it dynoed, just waiting till my next day off, which i dont know when that is. my car is bone stock performance wise except for the HFC. but i have to tell u, my car sounds AWESOME! im trying to tweak it a little before i post anything up.
Hey! need advice

So Berk's HFC is fits perfectly to the stock exhaust?
Where can i order?

Thx!!

Old 06-23-2008, 05:52 PM
Smile

Hey!! All,
Just read all of this and have a question.Due to yearly inspection by DMV
Should the HFC be remove before any INSPECTION?

Special THX to all.

Old 06-23-2008, 06:14 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ugaexploder
you say speaking from experience that the custom exhaust made the most power...you're probably right regarding that specific trans am exhaust, but did you actually test each exhaust system and the gains from every manufacturer? i highly doubt it...

and we are talking about 2 different beasts, the VQ is far more sophisticated in terms of engine technology than the LS1 or LT1 that you had in your trans am...making it more difficult to get any gains from any exhaust setup....

i'm just trying to point out from the previous poster, that how does anyone really know what the "best" exhaust setup is unless they've actually tested all of them?

most consumers do NOT know what the best product is because most consumers will not go out and buy every product and test every product.
most consumers, including myself, will buy a product they research and then justify why it is a great product because they just spent a lot of hard-earned money on something...

even with something like dynamat, how do you know what the best is by just trying the product? unless you do actual testing of all the products, you just can't say stuff like, "this is the best exhaust system because i tried it and it is custom"
Now you're getting waaaay to technical. In answer to your question about the "best...."

NO

Without lots of R&D you cannot PROVE which is the "best."

However, making more power with exhausts is simple. More flow, less bends, less restriction.

Custom work does this...... for much less $$. Can I guarantee or prove that muffler shop X will make the "most power?" Nope. But I can guarantee that it'll make comparable power and cost way less. (from history of every car ever.)

FWIW, the VQ's exhaust is no more "sophisticated" than an '84 Geo Metro.

Old 06-23-2008, 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by Phalanx
Best exhaust system = least restrictive + least back pressure + highest flow velocity of the exhaust gas
No exhaust shop will custom your headers. They only do from the down pipe to the muffler. And by "expert" I meant they have lots of experiences and the know exactly what they are doing. You may trust companies with their rip off products but I don't. For example, cold air intake from Injen runs about $550 while I can make the similar intake myself for less than $100. I myself want to spend my money wisely and not wasting any buck out of my pocket. A pair of catalytic converters for $500+ is a damn waste of money to me. Sorry if I hurt someone's feeling but it is true. Why don't you guys just buy a pair of Magna flow CAT for $150 and call it a day ?
or why not just stay OEM and quit adding cheap crap to your car that is less than OEM standard

Old 06-23-2008, 06:16 PM
Best exhaust system = least restrictive + least back pressure + highest flow velocity of the exhaust gas
No exhaust shop will custom your headers. They only do from the down pipe to the muffler. And by "expert" I meant they have lots of experiences and the know exactly what they are doing. You may trust companies with their rip off products but I don't. For example, cold air intake from Injen runs about $550 while I can make the similar intake myself for less than $100. I myself want to spend my money wisely and not wasting any buck out of my pocket. A pair of catalytic converters for $500+ is a damn waste of money to me. Sorry if I hurt someone's feeling but it is true. Why don't you guys just buy a pair of Magna flow CAT for $150 and call it a day ?
Dead on.

I try to talk people OUT of buying expensive catbacks and exhaust sytems all the time. If you care about bang/buck and sound, skip the catback, do a muffler swap. It'll make similar power (within a couple hp, unless you seriously mod the car) and sound the same.

Old 06-23-2008, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by silverG2007
Now you're getting waaaay to technical. In answer to your question about the "best...."

NO

Without lots of R&D you cannot PROVE which is the "best."

However, making more power with exhausts is simple. More flow, less bends, less restriction.

Custom work does this...... for much less $$. Can I guarantee or prove that muffler shop X will make the "most power?" Nope. But I can guarantee that it'll make comparable power and cost way less. (from history of every car ever.)

FWIW, the VQ's exhaust is no more "sophisticated" than an '84 Geo Metro.
if you can't prove to me why you think an exhaust system fabricated from an "expert" exhaust shop is better than all these "ripoffs"...then don't say it. and no i'm not getting technical at all, i'm describing to you how you can't say crap like, "this is the best exhaust system" with no evidence...do you write essays with no works cited? it's the same thing man

when i used the term sophisticated, i believe i used it to describe ENGINE TECHNOLOGY

Old 06-23-2008, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by earth0
Hey!! All,
Just read all of this and have a question.Due to yearly inspection by DMV
Should the HFC be remove before any INSPECTION?

Special THX to all.
It depends on how good they are.

Modifying or moving the cats in any way is illegal.

Old 06-23-2008, 06:21 PM
when i used the term sophisticated, i believe i used it to describe ENGINE TECHNOLOGY
I know.

However, Engine technology has nothing to do with what we're talking about. I was just pointing that out.

The only part where engine technology is involved with exhausts is with the feedback from your front o2 sensors that help determine A/F ratio at part throttle and cruise. However, o2 feedback is ignored when an engine enters power enrichment mode (higher rpm and throttle positions) so it will be completely neglected at full throttle and have no affect on HP gains on a dyno at full throttle.

Old 06-23-2008, 06:23 PM
or why not just stay OEM and quit adding cheap crap to your car that is less than OEM standard
That's a personal decision that people will have to make with their own wallets. If you're talking bang/buck.... cheap crap wins!

If you're opening your hood at car shows, I don't know that they'll be impressed with your homemade intake.

Old 06-23-2008, 06:25 PM
how does best exhaust = etc? from my understanding, best exhaust means that it HAS to be better than another product...am i wrong? i can see how

cost-effective exhaust = least restrictive + least back pressure + highest flow velocity of the exhaust gas

but how can you keep saying BEST. that's my only issue...i do understand that there are other cost-effective ways to make ur own exhaust and it may outperform another exhaust product...but like i said before, you can't just throw around terms like "best" because you don't know if it really is period

Old 06-23-2008, 06:28 PM
if you can't prove to me why you think an exhaust system fabricated from an "expert" exhaust shop is better than all these "ripoffs"...then don't say it. and no i'm not getting technical at all, i'm describing to you how you can't say crap like, "this is the best exhaust system" with no evidence...do you write essays with no works cited? it's the same thing man

I'm not one who mentioned "expert..." I just said take it to a muffler shop for custom work.

You're asking for works cited and saying you're not getting "technical?"

Please go back and read what I wrote. I never said, "expert" or "best."

I'm only talking about bang/buck. That's it. I did note that on my last car custom work made the most power.

I also said that you may lose a couple hp by going "cheap." (NOT THE BEST!!!!)

Old 06-23-2008, 06:30 PM
how does best exhaust = etc? from my understanding, best exhaust means that it HAS to be better than another product...am i wrong? i can see how

cost-effective exhaust = least restrictive + least back pressure + highest flow velocity of the exhaust gas

but how can you keep saying BEST. that's my only issue...i do understand that there are other cost-effective ways to make ur own exhaust and it may outperform another exhaust product...but like i said before, you can't just throw around terms like "best" because you don't know if it really is period
You really are hung up about this "best" thing.

He's trying to speak very generally about exhausts. And generally, what he mentioned, makes more power, and is "best" in that regard.

"Best" could mean many things. Like some catbacks are stainless steel. Is that the best? (it has nothing to do with power, but it's expensive).

Old 06-23-2008, 06:35 PM
I'm not one who mentioned "expert..." I just said take it to a muffler shop for custom work.

You're asking for works cited and saying you're not getting "technical?"

Please go back and read what I wrote. I never said, "expert" or "best."

I'm only talking about bang/buck. That's it. I did note that on my last car custom work made the most power.

I also said that you may lose a couple hp by going "cheap." (NOT THE BEST!!!!)
first off, i never accused you of saying "best" in ANY of my posts in this thread. also, my first post was addressed to phalanx so i don't know wtf you're talking about in that aspect

secondly, i never asked for any of your works cited. i was just saying how you need evidence of your writings sometimes, similar to essays. you're the one telling me to go back and read when you can't even decipher simple analogies like that?

Old 06-23-2008, 06:37 PM

He's trying to speak very generally about exhausts. And generally, what he mentioned, makes more power, and is "best" in that regard.

"Best" could mean many things. Like some catbacks are stainless steel. Is that the best? (it has nothing to do with power, but it's expensive).
you're right, i am hung up about it because i'm sick and tired of people saying crap like that. it's not fair to the vendors who do spend a lot of time doing research and development on their products to have some kid say some crap like, "the best exhaust system can be had from a local expert exhaust shop"...it's just not true and i am willing to take my time to clarify things

Old 06-23-2008, 06:40 PM

you're absolutely right about how best can mean many things, but for the sake of argument...we were not talking about the latter in your comment...we are talking best performance, in which again you can't say unless you actually have the proof...or i guess in my case, your works cited

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 07 sedan hi flow cat