V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

07 sedan hi flow cat

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 04:13 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
07 sedan hi flow cat

any idea if this will have a performance increase with a stock exhaust setup??

http://www.g35parts.com/9083/osc/pro...roducts_id=713

Old 06-21-2008, 05:12 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I wouldn't buy those ****s even it gives me 10hp. You can always make your custom exhaust by bringing your car to an expert exhaust shop. They will put in the best exhaust system with Magna Flow CAT for around the same price for those CATs.

Old 06-21-2008, 05:18 PM
ya thats a good way to go if i were to do all that.
i do not want to change my exhaust or mufflers or any other pipes. just get these HFC's or any other company for that matter.
will i have any gains? thats my question.

Old 06-21-2008, 06:40 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i havent not posted my mod yet, but i just recently installed berk's HFC. i havent yet got it dynoed, just waiting till my next day off, which i dont know when that is. my car is bone stock performance wise except for the HFC. but i have to tell u, my car sounds AWESOME! im trying to tweak it a little before i post anything up.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:50 PM
awww cmon you have to post or send me a clip bro. i want to do it really bad but deff want to hear it. even before your dyno.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:55 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Holy crap those are expensive!!

Going completely without cats you may gain 5-7hp. (and would sound like absolute garbage)

If I had to guess, on a stock car, HFCs may be worth 3hp. If you're going to do it, do it for sound...... and buy cheaper cats. Just like any other bolt on mod internet claim..... the 9hp claim..... yeah right.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Phalanx
I wouldn't buy those ****s even it gives me 10hp. You can always make your custom exhaust by bringing your car to an expert exhaust shop. They will put in the best exhaust system with Magna Flow CAT for around the same price for those CATs.
lol expert exhaust shops........they might be experts in the general fields of exhausts which is just a little bit of thermodynamics but other than that...they're definitely not experts in HR motors and G35 exhausts.

I would pay a little extra money to the companies out there doing research and tuning into our cars rather than take it to an "expert" exhaust shop that just works on random cars that find their way to the shop. they probably look at the diameter of tubing and see how the stock system might be restricted and change it accordingly. I doubt they do any calculations and test it via dyno at most of these exhaust shops.

Also, how do you know that a random "expert" exhaust shop will put in the best exhaust system?

Old 06-23-2008, 02:39 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ugaexploder
lol expert exhaust shops........they might be experts in the general fields of exhausts which is just a little bit of thermodynamics but other than that...they're definitely not experts in HR motors and G35 exhausts.

I would pay a little extra money to the companies out there doing research and tuning into our cars rather than take it to an "expert" exhaust shop that just works on random cars that find their way to the shop. they probably look at the diameter of tubing and see how the stock system might be restricted and change it accordingly. I doubt they do any calculations and test it via dyno at most of these exhaust shops.

Also, how do you know that a random "expert" exhaust shop will put in the best exhaust system?

If you're talking about properly tuning headers or designing an intake manifold.....I'd agree with you.

If you're talking about catback exhaust pipes.....It's not exactly rocket science.

Look at pretty much any car out there with multiple exhaust options. All catbacks make pretty much the same power. The muffler choice makes the most difference.

Speaking from experience with my last car (02 Trans AM). The custom exhausts definitely made the most power. And they weren't the most expensive either.

With our cars, the exhaust is DEFINITELY more about sound than power either way. If I could swap mufflers for $200 and get the sound I want, I'd do it and be done. Rather than spend $800 on an expensive exhaust and net an extra 1 hp, if that.

Old 06-23-2008, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by silverG2007
If you're talking about properly tuning headers or designing an intake manifold.....I'd agree with you.

If you're talking about catback exhaust pipes.....It's not exactly rocket science.

Look at pretty much any car out there with multiple exhaust options. All catbacks make pretty much the same power. The muffler choice makes the most difference.

Speaking from experience with my last car (02 Trans AM). The custom exhausts definitely made the most power. And they weren't the most expensive either.

With our cars, the exhaust is DEFINITELY more about sound than power either way. If I could swap mufflers for $200 and get the sound I want, I'd do it and be done. Rather than spend $800 on an expensive exhaust and net an extra 1 hp, if that.
you say speaking from experience that the custom exhaust made the most power...you're probably right regarding that specific trans am exhaust, but did you actually test each exhaust system and the gains from every manufacturer? i highly doubt it...

and we are talking about 2 different beasts, the VQ is far more sophisticated in terms of engine technology than the LS1 or LT1 that you had in your trans am...making it more difficult to get any gains from any exhaust setup....

i'm just trying to point out from the previous poster, that how does anyone really know what the "best" exhaust setup is unless they've actually tested all of them?

most consumers do NOT know what the best product is because most consumers will not go out and buy every product and test every product.
most consumers, including myself, will buy a product they research and then justify why it is a great product because they just spent a lot of hard-earned money on something...

even with something like dynamat, how do you know what the best is by just trying the product? unless you do actual testing of all the products, you just can't say stuff like, "this is the best exhaust system because i tried it and it is custom"

Last edited by ugaexploder; 06-23-2008 at 03:10 PM.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:35 PM
great points guys. so leaving the entire exhaust setup stock and swapping out the cats to high flow cats. will i gain and performance hp+tq???

Old 06-23-2008, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by suby01
great points guys. so leaving the entire exhaust setup stock and swapping out the cats to high flow cats. will i gain and performance hp+tq???
definitely

Old 06-23-2008, 04:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got a 6whp/6wtq gain from the Berk HFC's and no other mods.

Old 06-23-2008, 04:22 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Cali G
I got a 6whp/6wtq gain from the Berk HFC's and no other mods.
im assuming u got it dynoed. do u have a post of stock dyno and hfc dyno. i have the same set up as u, but i couldnt get a stock dyno in, and im planning to get my hfc dyno soon. wanna see stock number if possible? thanks

Old 06-23-2008, 04:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your gonna go with those Stillen HFC's Buy them at Stillens website..their cheaper on sale and Free shipping i got mine today... Their a bit under $500

Old 06-23-2008, 05:22 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Best exhaust system = least restrictive + least back pressure + highest flow velocity of the exhaust gas
No exhaust shop will custom your headers. They only do from the down pipe to the muffler. And by "expert" I meant they have lots of experiences and the know exactly what they are doing. You may trust companies with their rip off products but I don't. For example, cold air intake from Injen runs about $550 while I can make the similar intake myself for less than $100. I myself want to spend my money wisely and not wasting any buck out of my pocket. A pair of catalytic converters for $500+ is a damn waste of money to me. Sorry if I hurt someone's feeling but it is true. Why don't you guys just buy a pair of Magna flow CAT for $150 and call it a day ?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 07 sedan hi flow cat