V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

Auto Headlight Sensitivity

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 08:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Auto Headlight Sensitivity

Hey all, I am wondering if my light sensor is faulty. I have the sensitivity of Auto mode for my headlights set to the highest it can go, however even in pretty overcast days they do not turn on. For example morning it was pretty overcast and the lights still didn't turn on.

I am coming from my 06 BMW which had overly sensitive sensors which may be why I am a bit off from it, but it seems like at the highest sensitivity they would turn themselves on during overcast days. I honestly cannot tell the difference between the lowest setting and the highest setting, and I've played with the feature at different times of the day outside.

The lights don't turn on when the wipers are on? I believe most the cars that have had auto headlights would do this. I think its to conform to laws in some states (CA has one) that if your wipers are on the headlights need to be on.

Is this something I should bring it in for, maybe a bad light sensor, or is this normal?

Old 01-05-2009, 09:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does it turn on by itself at night though? Usually it doesn't' turn on for overcast days for me too, but once dusk rolls in it does, mine is like the 2nd highest setting.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Csquared
Does it turn on by itself at night though? Usually it doesn't' turn on for overcast days for me too, but once dusk rolls in it does, mine is like the 2nd highest setting.
Yea, they turn on automatically at night. I just had thought that at the highest sensitivity it would be.. well.. more sensitive than what it is.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:17 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
If you find the light sensor (can't remember where it is), sometimes they can be gimmicked by putting a piece of tint over them - that way it always thinks it's darker than it really is.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:16 AM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
If you try the tint idea, the sensor is on the passanger side on top of the dash board near the bottom of the windsheild, it looks like a black circular button....

Btw mone seem to work just right and when it should even on overcast days, setting one less than the highest

Old 01-08-2009, 11:51 AM
The tint idea works but make sure there is no "light leakage" around the edges...the sensitivity of the Infiniti system is not great (compared to my prior Audi A4). I did a DRL mod for the fogs (covered here at G35Driver) to give some added safety on dank days. I also had the diagnostics hooked up to my G to see if the settings in the computer effected auto headlight sensitivity differently but they actually mirror exactly what the settings on the display do.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wasnt aware the headlight sensitivity for the Auto mode was adjustable. Can someone please tell me where this is set?

Thanks

n00b

Old 01-09-2009, 12:19 PM
^+1, it can be adjusted? mine is usually ok, but i hate when you hit a small patch of darkness or w/e they immidately come on, wearing down the bulbs :/

Old 01-09-2009, 12:24 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by PSXBatou
The lights don't turn on when the wipers are on? I believe most the cars that have had auto headlights would do this. I think its to conform to laws in some states (CA has one) that if your wipers are on the headlights need to be on.
It makes absolutely no sense for an automaker to make the headlights turn on with the wipers. The law in Cali states that because they want people to turn on their damn headlights in bad weather. That way, people can see you from in front and unlike daytime running headlights, people can see you better from behind too.

Why it makes no sense for them to make the headlights turn on and off with your wipers is because of the wear you put on your xenons. The ballasts and bulbs have to warm up, and although the ballasts in the G are digital, I don't think the system was designed to take that much abuse. With the older designs like the Bosch ballasts Bimmers used, turning your xenons on and off like that enough times could easily set you back a couple thousand dollars.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:43 PM
FluffyG - I might need to send you the e-version of the G35 Owners Manual...I'm pretty particular as you can see by past posts and it pains me to think you haven't read the owners manual cover to cover...BUT, I'm here to help.

In the 7" center dash display go to:

SETTINGS>COMFORT & CONV>AUTO HEADLIGHT SENSITIVITY>

GOING TO THE (+) SIDE MAKES THE HEADLIGHTS COME ON EARLIER (WITH LESS DARKNESS) and (-) SIDE REQUIRES PRETTY MUCH TOTAL DARKNESS BEFORE THEY "ILLUMINATE".

You should set all the way to the (+) side for safety...See Owners Manual pages 4-18 and 4-19...

I'll forgive you...THIS time...

P.S. See this DRL Mod for additional "safety" and a discount from your insurance company - in most cases - for permanent DRLs

https://g35driver.com/forums/tech-07...us-models.html

Last edited by klossfam; 01-09-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:33 AM
ohh... this isint on an 05 is it haha

Old 06-16-2009, 04:42 PM
Cool Auto Headlights are Very Frustrating!

It seems to me that the Auto Headlights sensitivity functions the same regardless of the setting. I have repeatedly tried to change the sensitivity in an attempt to get them not to go on, when for example going under a highway overpass.

But even more frustrating is when I do go under a highway overpass they will of course go on. But then when I am back in a brightly lit open area, they STAY ON. I can drive for several miles before they go off again (maybe). Being really frustrated under these circumstances, I will often turn the headlight switch to Off for a few seconds, and then back to Auto. Then the lights will STAY OFF. One would think that as soon as you enter brightly lit area, they would go off automatically. This process repeats itself as I travel from shaded to brightly lit areas.

This seems to occur most often in the early morning or late afternoon when the sun is at a steep angle. But regardless, it is still bright enough outside that they should go off automatically.

Anyone experience this? It is driving me nuts!

Regards,

Old 06-16-2009, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by gstais
It seems to me that the Auto Headlights sensitivity functions the same regardless of the setting. I have repeatedly tried to change the sensitivity in an attempt to get them not to go on, when for example going under a highway overpass.

But even more frustrating is when I do go under a highway overpass they will of course go on. But then when I am back in a brightly lit open area, they STAY ON. I can drive for several miles before they go off again (maybe). Being really frustrated under these circumstances, I will often turn the headlight switch to Off for a few seconds, and then back to Auto. Then the lights will STAY OFF. One would think that as soon as you enter brightly lit area, they would go off automatically. This process repeats itself as I travel from shaded to brightly lit areas.

This seems to occur most often in the early morning or late afternoon when the sun is at a steep angle. But regardless, it is still bright enough outside that they should go off automatically.

Regards,
Sounds like the light sensor on the dash might need to be swapped out...The lights should turn back off with no issues once the ambient light is sufficient. With my 08 - I set at maximum sensitivity and leave on AUTO. I did the DRL mod, so I know I've visible at all times (especially important in the middle of the day during the work week when the seniors are out in full force). I would like the headlights to come on a little earlier but overall a lot better than my wife's 2008 Highlander on AUTO (it has to be pretty dark - and I had the factory setting changed to most sensitive at the dealer). About the only time I manually turn on the headlights on the G is when it rains during the day and is still fairly light out.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:10 AM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Originally Posted by gstais

Regards,
Mine seem similar to yours. I have them set to the least sensitive setting and they still come on under overpasses and even turn on in my garage. Most of the time I manually turn them off. And what is even more aggravating is that they won't come on on overcast rainy days which we get a lot of in Florida.