V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

Car barely drivable, no power, barely moves

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 09:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good luck!

Old 03-17-2009, 09:54 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ThirstyTurtle
nah it's not the clutch. It's the driver's side MAF sensor. THere was a piece of debris wrapped around it (a wire or something) that caused it to fail. I'm having big FREAKING issues with it to because I just bought it from a place called Auction Direct (like a CarMax) about a month ago and the Infiniti dealership says that the air filters were recently replaced and that's when something must have gotten passed the filter and gotten attached to the sensor. So anyways, I'm 100% sure that Auction Direct changed the filters and caused this problem but the service guy there is an ******* and wants to have a look at the car before he gives the go-ahead to pay for the replacement part and labor ($588!!). So here's the problem, it's at the Infiniti place, I have a loaner, if I get it towed to Auction Direct for the guy to look at it, I have to turn in the loaner (now I have no car), then when the guys probably tells me that they didn't do it and aren't going to pay for it, I have to have it towed back to Infiniti and it's EFFING RETARDED. So what should I do?

I was thinking of having Infiniti fix it so I have a damn car, then taking the old MAF to Auction Direct and showing them that they either directly caused this problem or failed to catch it in there one billion point inspection prior to selling the car to me.

makes me wonder what got past the sensor and into the valves and pistons.

if/when the auction takes responsibility, get that in writing and keep it in case a rock shows up later on in the head of the mota.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by snowcrossmxz
makes me wonder what got past the sensor and into the valves and pistons.

if/when the auction takes responsibility, get that in writing and keep it in case a rock shows up later on in the head of the mota.
^^ya i thought about that too. The tech guy said he's seen that happen, but this thing is MINUTE. I looked at it for myself and it looks kind of like the wick from a Zippo lighter, it's a woven strand of metal with some fibers in it as well, maybe .25" long, VERY tiny but it went DIRECTLY into the sensor itself, thus destroying it.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It may not be Auction Direct's fault. I don't understand how this problem would happen by simply replacing an air filter unless the backside of the airfilter had this piece stuck to it, they ran it without the filter, or someone intentionally did it.

It's possible that piece was in there when they got the car. Didn't you have the car for a while before this happened (like a week). I'd think the vacuum of the engine would suck that thing all the way into the engine immediately so maybe it got introduced some other way or was somehow stuck to the filter.

It may be more of a manufacturing defect from the filter company or something happened where something got stuck to it.

In today's economy I doubt any company would man-up to that since it's so unusual.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by BrianV
It may not be Auction Direct's fault. I don't understand how this problem would happen by simply replacing an air filter unless the backside of the airfilter had this piece stuck to it, they ran it without the filter, or someone intentionally did it.

It's possible that piece was in there when they got the car. Didn't you have the car for a while before this happened (like a week). I'd think the vacuum of the engine would suck that thing all the way into the engine immediately so maybe it got introduced some other way or was somehow stuck to the filter.

It may be more of a manufacturing defect from the filter company or something happened where something got stuck to it.

In today's economy I doubt any company would man-up to that since it's so unusual.
have you seen the MAF sensor? If you haven't, there's a little hole through it where the actual sensor itself is. I think that this metal piece was stuck in the hole right in front of the metal sensors and slowly got sucked into the metal sensor piece. Auction Direct may not be personally responsible for the piece being in the intake, but I feel like this should have been caught in there like 200 point inspection, one point of which is engine intake ducts and filtration system. We'll see, I hope I get some cash money.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:17 AM
Any update with the auction house?

Old 04-05-2009, 06:11 PM
ya I've actually been getting lots of things together and I have a meeting scheduled for Wednesday with the General Manager, I'll let you know how it goes, thanks for checking up on me:0)

Old 04-06-2009, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by 05DGx
Sounds like your clutch is slipping bad. But I'm kinda stumped b/c you said you have 20k miles on it....there is no way a clutch should go bad in 20k miles unless its been driven very hard.
I read this thread and could not believe it took 7 posts for someone to say it's a slipping clutch.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by EWG35
I read this thread and could not believe it took 7 posts for someone to say it's a slipping clutch.
well did you continue to read to discover that it wasn't the clutch and had nothing to do with the clutch at all? That's probably why it took so long for people to suggest it, because that wasn't the problem, just a bad MAF sensor

Old 04-06-2009, 08:15 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
^ lol EWG35 got served! j/k