V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

Dashboard Lights Error VCD SLIP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 09:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dashboard Lights Error VCD SLIP

Hello,

I have a Stillen Dual intake on my 07 G35x sedan and with the cold weather in Boston i'm not sure if it's too much for the car or there is a sensor that is dying. Currently when i start driving it seems like the e-brake light turns on, on my dash and then shortly after the VCD Off and SLIP lights turn on and stay on while the Brake light turns off.

This is the issue, when I'm in Park.

Attached Thumbnails Dashboard Lights Error  VCD SLIP-20150303_184329-1-.jpg  
Old 03-04-2015, 01:01 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Could just be worn brakes, or low brake fluid. If the fluid's low and there isn't a leak, check the pads before adding fluid, otherwise you'll overflow the reservoir when you replace the pads.

Old 03-08-2015, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Do you know how the brake pads are connected to the traction control lights etc...? I do think it is the brake pads as the brake fluid resevoir is perfectly fine. If i got new rotors and pads will the lights automatically turn off or do i need to reset an chips/sensors/computers?

Old 03-08-2015, 07:52 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
It is a common occurrence with these car for them to trip a whole array of lights (brake,vdc, slip, etc) on the dash when the brake fluid is even moderately low. It has nothing to do with the thickness of the brake pads, it is simply a sensor in the brake fluid reservoir which detects current fill level. Given that, any time someone new posts about a number of those lights going off simultaneously, it is just a given to have them try topping off the brake fluid FIRST!, Since is so easy to do and usually provides the solution, it saves a bunch of otherwise needless troubleshooting.

One thing you should know, is that for the brake fluid level to be low enough to trip the display of lights DOES NOT necessarily mean that you are ready for new brake pads. Many people just assume this, and as such, it is probably a great profit source for the dealerships. The first time my lights went off, I topped off the reservoir and continued to drive for another 12-15K miles before I needed to replace the pads.

Furthermore, some people will also tell you not to add fluid because then when you do replace your pads, you'll have too much brake fluid in the system and it will overflow the reservoir. Having worked on cars for more than 40 years, I can tell you that it is just basic knowledge that you need to observe reservoir fluid levels as you install the new pads, and is assumed that you may need to remove some so as NOT to overflow. Anyone that doesn't know this, probably shouldn't be doing brake work!

So that being said, NO, there is no connection between the pads and the traction control system per se, and nothing needs to be reset. If low fluid level is indeed the cause, you can either top off the fluid (which will raise the level directly), or you can replace the pads with newer/thicker ones (which will raise the level indirectly) but will potentially waste a significant portion of your otherwise perfectly good remaining pad life. Remember, they ARE NOT calibrated to coordinate pad wear and low fluid level!

Old 03-08-2015, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the heads up. The lights have been on fit a while and when i drove a couple hundred miles on a ski trip this weekend i started to hear my rear pads grinding which i know means there is almost zero pad left if anything at all. I just bought new cross drilled and slotted rotors and pads to be put on this week.

Thanks again for the help.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:07 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by jcardodeucedos
Thanks for the heads up. The lights have been on fit a while and when i drove a couple hundred miles on a ski trip this weekend i started to hear my rear pads grinding which i know means there is almost zero pad left if anything at all. I just bought new cross drilled and slotted rotors and pads to be put on this week.

Thanks again for the help.
Sounds like you know what you need to do then.

Old 05-05-2015, 03:07 PM
sorry to bring this up again, ive read all the other threads about this but i can figure mine out.

i have the vdc off and slip lights on as soon as i turn the car on. ive never had the brake light or the abs lights come on. the vdc/slip lights came on a few weeks ago while driving.

about 2 weeks ago i topped off the brake fluid and the lights remained.

last weekend i took the wheels off and checked all the brakes and theyre practically brand new.

since theyre on as soon as i turn the car on, does this mean its one of the wheel sensors? what else could it be?

Old 11-28-2015, 01:50 PM
I'm currently having the same issue. Consult III is throwing a few codes and I'm in the works of tracing the issue using Asist. There's a lot of electrical diag procedures that's a little over my head right now, especially with 4was. Has anyone faced similar problems?