V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

Yellow Key Light on dash

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 09:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Yellow Key Light on dash

This morning I went to start up my 07 g35x after having it sit for almost 3 weeks (long story).

Click-click-click - the sound of a dead battery. The dash light lit dimly, the fogs and side lights turned on, but no headlights. I could NOT turn the car off or turn off the front lights. It took me about 20 minutes to find jumper cables (hidden under a blanket = duh).

During the time that I was looking for the jumpers, I could hear occasional clicking from the battery area as if the car was trying to start.

I jumped the car, it started right up. Left it running for 30 minutes of so. When I came back out all seemed normal, but the yellow "key" light was solid. I'm talking about the YELLOW light inside of the speedometer ring, not the red battery low warning that you get when the key's battery is low.

This happens with both of my keys.

I have not tried driving the car anything more than pulling it out of the garage and putting it back in. The light is sometimes on when the car is off, but always when it's running.

2-16 of the owner's manual ( see here ) says:
Intelligent Key warning
light
After the ignition switch is pushed to the
ON position, this light comes on for about
2 seconds and then turns off.
This light warns of a malfunction with the
electrical steering lock system or the Intelligent
Key system.
If the light comes on while the engine is
stopped, it may be impossible to free the
steering lock or to start the engine. If the
light comes on while the engine is running,
you can drive the vehicle. However
in these cases, contact an INFINITI dealer
for repair as soon as possible.
That's clear, but is there another way?? Everything was fine before the battery died. Did something get fried? Is the car just being stupid? Can this be fixed without Consult II? I don't think I can just ignore the light - or can I? I definitely don't want to have the car stop on me or have it be unstartable....

Thanks

Old 01-31-2016, 09:15 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
I would first try replacing the battery in the car as well as the batteries in both of the key fobs. I would also leave the battery cables off the new battery overnight before you hook up the new one. Then, with all new and fresh batteries, and cleared memory, see if the problem persists. If it does, then you may need to see a dealer.

Old 03-29-2016, 12:35 PM
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I had a similar problem once when I replaced the battery. Circumstances weren't exactly the same and I couldn't start my car at all. I had to have it towed to the dealer for them to reset which they were able to do without much work. There was a fear that I shorted out some of the security modules but I think they just had to reload some software. I thought it was going to cost a ton but ultimately it was a pretty cheap fix after my insurance gave me a free tow.

Old 11-10-2017, 06:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Steering Lock Unit

My G37S started in the garage just fine/normal. After backing it into the driveway to perform the parking brake adjustment procedure, my Intel-key light displayed solid and the car would not start.

After much head scratching I started to look up similar reports about the intel-key issue and the most common trouble reported was with the steering lock unit malfunctioning.

Now part of the parking brake adjustment procedure requires the removal of the rear wheels to access the adjusters in each brake disc/drum, and I had used tire blocks on the front wheels. I had also allowed the car to roll back and firm up the wheel blocks before jacking it up (auto trans).....did the adjustment and then tried to start the car = Intel-key light on a solid display and would not start.

I rocked the car to dislodge the front wheel blocks, moved the steering wheel slightly back and forth after removing the wheel blocks and tried to fire it up again..........it started as normal.

I believe in my case what I had done with the wheel blocks and rolling the car back (engine off, auto trans in neutral) that the Steering Lock Unit produced an error and prevented the start up.

Or, I just got lucky..............think I'll go golfing and see if my luck holds up!

Old 02-16-2020, 07:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G35X
Pain In The *** Yellow Light Did Anyone Fix It? 🤔🤔🤔🤔

Originally Posted by weinberk
this morning i went to start up my 07 g35x after having it sit for almost 3 weeks (long story).

Click-click-click - the sound of a dead battery. The dash light lit dimly, the fogs and side lights turned on, but no headlights. I could not turn the car off or turn off the front lights. It took me about 20 minutes to find jumper cables (hidden under a blanket = duh).

During the time that i was looking for the jumpers, i could hear occasional clicking from the battery area as if the car was trying to start.

I jumped the car, it started right up. Left it running for 30 minutes of so. When i came back out all seemed normal, but the yellow "key" light was solid. I'm talking about the yellow light inside of the speedometer ring, not the red battery low warning that you get when the key's battery is low.

This happens with both of my keys.

I have not tried driving the car anything more than pulling it out of the garage and putting it back in. The light is sometimes on when the car is off, but always when it's running.

2-16 of the owner's manual ( see here ) says:
Intelligent key warning
light
after the ignition switch is pushed to the
on position, this light comes on for about
2 seconds and then turns off.
This light warns of a malfunction with the
electrical steering lock system or the intelligent
key system.
If the light comes on while the engine is
stopped, it may be impossible to free the
steering lock or to start the engine. If the
light comes on while the engine is running,
you can drive the vehicle. However
in these cases, contact an infiniti dealer
for repair as soon as possible.

That's clear, but is there another way?? Everything was fine before the battery died. Did something get fried? Is the car just being stupid? Can this be fixed without consult ii? I don't think i can just ignore the light - or can i? I definitely don't want to have the car stop on me or have it be unstartable....

Thanks
🤔🤔🤔🤔

The following users liked this post:
Precious 4568 (06-13-2020)
Old 02-17-2020, 05:44 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Yes, you need to get the BCM reprogrammed, it "lost" the keys. Most reputable locksmiths can do this as well as the dealership.

Sometimes it's a BCM failure, sometimes it's the antenna for the keys, dealership can diagnose those issues with CONSULT-II/III

Old 06-13-2020, 03:18 PM
Infiniti G35 Sport
Cost for repair

I would like to know what a diagnosis and repair of this issue would cost. I know that the diagnosis depends on the Infiniti dealer but can anyone tell me what the average cost to fix this issue would be? I just spent 621.00 at the dealership to have my radiator hoses changed because car was overheating and now I have this same yellow Intelligent key light warning.
Originally Posted by cleric670
Yes, you need to get the BCM reprogrammed, it "lost" the keys. Most reputable locksmiths can do this as well as the dealership.

Sometimes it's a BCM failure, sometimes it's the antenna for the keys, dealership can diagnose those issues with CONSULT-II/III

Old 06-15-2020, 07:14 AM
Received 369 Likes on 337 Posts
$620 to replace radiator hoses?? Holy crap!!!

Old 06-15-2020, 08:09 AM
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts
1990 Mustang GT - 351W Lightning bored/stroked 383CI TFS heads 78mm Turbonetics huricane
I had the yellow key light when I bought my 08'. I replaced the FOB battery and put the FOB in the dash slot every time for a couple of days and I haven't had it pop up again. Could just be luck that it fixed itself.

Old 06-16-2020, 04:42 AM
Infiniti G35 Sport
Yes, $621.00

That's correct. The hoses themselves were less than $100.. it was the labor that cost close to $500. I had it towed to the Nissan dealership that I purchased the car from because I don't know any private mechanic that works on Infinitis and I can't afford to let just anyone work on it
and risk something else going wrong. I have so many things wrong with my Infiniti but I can't afford the repairs and these things aren't covered under my extended warranty. I wish I could just sell it honestly😥.
Originally Posted by Scorpi0
$620 to replace radiator hoses?? Holy crap!!!