V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

Help someone

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2023, 03:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35s 6mt
Help someone

Ok so I just replaced my alternator and battery on my 2007 g35s sedan 6mt. It’s been running good for the past three days then it just gave out on me on the way home. I went to put it in first gear and it wouldn’t rev, But it would rev in neutral. Then my battery just drained and died. I jumped it and it started up and I put it in first gear while the cables were still hooked up and it revved in first. But as soon as I disconnected the jumper cables it wouldn’t rev anymore.I’m assuming it’s an electrical issue but I’m not sure. HELP PLS!

Old 03-18-2023, 05:57 AM
Received 410 Likes on 368 Posts
If your car wont stay running without jumper cables hooked up then your alternator is busted.

Next time u jumpstart it, disconnect the jumper cables and quickly measure the voltge at the battery terminals while the engine is still running. It should be close to 14 volts if the alternator is good. If its 12 volts or lower then the alternator is toast.

Old 03-18-2023, 10:36 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,473 Likes on 2,164 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Was the battery charge light on the dash turned on?

Old 03-18-2023, 11:20 AM
G35s 6mt
Originally Posted by cleric670
Was the battery charge light on the dash turned on?

no battery light was on. The E brake light kept flashing a day before this happened to me.

Old 03-18-2023, 11:26 AM
G35s 6mt
Originally Posted by Scorpi0
If your car wont stay running without jumper cables hooked up then your alternator is busted.

Next time u jumpstart it, disconnect the jumper cables and quickly measure the voltge at the battery terminals while the engine is still running. It should be close to 14 volts if the alternator is good. If its 12 volts or lower then the alternator is toast.

see I get that part. But would that be a reason on why my car won’t rev in first gear ? Or any of the 6gears? I rather it be an alternator issue the. Something else

Old 03-18-2023, 11:28 AM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Brake light flashing means a problem with the VDC/ABS/TCS computer, not the e-brake.

Get the car scanned at a local auto parts house, someone that can do B and C codes with an OBD2 scanner that supports protocol ISO 9141-2

As for the starting/charging problem. First charge the battery, see if it holds a charge. Should hold 12.5 volts.

Then verify the alternator is actually plugged in, check the fusible link to see if it blew the primary fuse, also check the IPDM to see if it blew the alternator voltage regulator control 10amp fuse.

Then start the car, while running it should be 14.5 volts.

Old 03-18-2023, 11:55 AM
G35s 6mt
Brake light flashing means a problem with the VDC/ABS/TCS computer, not the e-brake.

Get the car scanned at a local auto parts house, someone that can do B and C codes with an OBD2 scanner that supports protocol ISO 9141-2

As for the starting/charging problem. First charge the battery, see if it holds a charge. Should hold 12.5 volts.

Then verify the alternator is actually plugged in, check the fusible link to see if it blew the primary fuse, also check the IPDM to see if it blew the alternator voltage regulator control 10amp fuse.

Then start the car, while running it should be 14.5 volts.

I will do this as soon as I can get my car to an auto parts shop and get it checked. But I’ll double check and make sure my alternator is plugged in all the way. That’s the only thing that came in mind was if it was loose maybe. I just started my car up from leaving it sit over night and it started up. Died once I put it in first gear

Old 03-18-2023, 12:03 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
So it will start and run but as soon as you put it in gear it stalls out?

What if you go straight to neutral instead of reverse/drive?

Old 03-18-2023, 12:24 PM
G35s 6mt
So it will start and run but as soon as you put it in gear it stalls out?

What if you go straight to neutral instead of reverse/drive?

ok so yesterday I passed cables and turned the car on then turned it off. I guess it held charge over night. Turned it on just like an hour ago. It started but once I went from neutral to first gear it died. Didn’t stall but it died completely. Now I gotta pass cables again to get it to turn on. My car is a manual not an auto

Old 03-18-2023, 12:47 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Get a digital multimeter and check battery voltage once it's running. It should be 14.5 volts.

It's strange that it dies as soon as you go into gear though, does it happen even with the clutch still depressed or does it stall only when you try to release the clutch?

If it happens only when you release the clutch then what happens if you release the clutch very slowly. Can you feel the engine rpm's bog down at a certain point?

If you leave it in neutral will it stay running or will it stall eventually?

Can you put the car in neutral and roll it around? You might have a seized brake caliper that is literally just not letting the car move.

Old 03-18-2023, 01:13 PM
G35s 6mt
Get a digital multimeter and check battery voltage once it's running. It should be 14.5 volts.

It's strange that it dies as soon as you go into gear though, does it happen even with the clutch still depressed or does it stall only when you try to release the clutch?

If it happens only when you release the clutch then what happens if you release the clutch very slowly. Can you feel the engine rpm's bog down at a certain point?

If you leave it in neutral will it stay running or will it stall eventually?

Can you put the car in neutral and roll it around? You might have a seized brake caliper that is literally just not letting the car move.

I’ll have my nephew bring his from work on Monday as I don’t own one myself.

so when I turned it on it just completely died when I had the clutch pedal pressed In putting it in first. Rpm’s didn’t move or anything. But one thing I did noticed was that the rpm’s stayed at 2k when I turned the car on. Never seen it do that before.

I haven’t tried just leaving it running in neutral since last night. Last night i had it running in neutral then it just died on me.

the car moves fine in neutral. I pulled it to the house last night so I don’t think it’s anything to do with the calipers. Something is draining my battery or making my alternator short out. Cause it ran fine when u put in a new alternator and new battery. But now it’s just not holding charge for some reason