V36 Interior, Exterior & Lighting Interior & Exterior - Tech, Modifications, Lighting, Gauges and More

Auto trans is going to get me killed! Hanging up between gears.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 05:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 G35 Journey Sedan no sunroof
How does the transmission decide which gear to choose when you downshift out of the DS mode? I tried it once on a steep downramp and rpms took off (wasn't watching the tach), so I'm afraid to try it again (esp since I'm in break-in period).

The transmission is plenty aggressive in D mode, it doesn't like to upshift. How long does it take for the learning algorithm to adjust to your driving style on a new car?

Old 05-27-2008, 07:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When you downshift out of DS mode, you're downshifted one gear below where DS mode is already in.

i'm not sure if it'll let you downshift into redline or into the revlimiter. Never tried it .

Old 05-27-2008, 10:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 G35 Journey Sedan no sunroof
But you never know for sure which DS gear you were in until you upshift or downshift, right?

I'll watch the tach carefully next time. I think 5000 rpm on the G is louder than 7000 rpm on my Q.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by greg_atlanta
But you never know for sure which DS gear you were in until you upshift or downshift, right?

I'll watch the tach carefully next time. I think 5000 rpm on the G is louder than 7000 rpm on my Q.
Using manual mode, pay attention to the tach for each gear. That's the best way to get a feel for it. Generally speaking, DS keeps you out of 5th gear (overdrive gear). I don't believe I've ever had DS put me into 5th, but as with all automatics, DS will eventually put you at the top gear (4th) so long as your vehicle speed is sufficient for it (higher gear tends to be better gas mileage when cruising). So if you've been cruising a while, you're likely in 4th gear.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:07 PM
I have the same issues. Maybe we can forward this thread to someone at Infiniti/Nissan so they can start working on it.

For those of us that know how to DRIVE, this is not only irritating, but also a bit dangerous at times.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:29 PM
bouncing off the rev limiter in the manual never leaves me hung up for more than a fraction of a second. for it to do such a thing to the auto is just laughable. wtg nisfiniti

Old 06-24-2008, 08:08 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I guess I'll be the jerk:

It's user error.

A manual wouldn't help you. You need to learn to drive your car. Now you know what happens when you bounce off the rev limiter. Don't do it while in traffic.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:05 AM
You're Despicable

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
For the people having this problem of hanging gears when downshifting, why don't you get to familiarize yourselves with which gears go through which speeds. I mean in a manual you wouldn't downshift without knowing roughly where the RPMs were going to stand. I know that at about 100km/h to around 110km/h its safe to downshift to 3rd without hitting the rev limiter, and vice versa for all other gears.

Get to know which gears sit where on your speedo before downshifting like mad because inevitably you'll hit the limiter if you don't know what you're doing. LEARN YOUR GEARING RATIOS. If you've driven a manual you'd probably be more familiar to how the car will react to do a perfect downshift. I just think its basic common sense if you know what you're doing and not just downshifting like a loon

Old 06-25-2008, 09:56 AM
While I appreciate the "learn how to drive" comment, for me I have been to no less than 6 driving schools over my 25 years of driving, and have spent much time at many tracks, here and in EU. The most recent being California Speedway in Fontana for two days at a special SRT Track experience. During those days we drove every SRT vehilce including both Vipers, one at 650hp.

So that comment does not really apply here.

I think all we're saying is that for a high revving engine the tranny could use a bit of work, in either regular or sport mode. And regardless of shift points and the rev limiter, the shifting is less than optimal. It seems after reading many threads, this is a common complaint.

When I drive my car - with windows up and no radio or a/c on...and listen and feel the cars engine and tranny...I can tell that the car is inconsistent when shifting. It's almost never the same from day to day. At first I thought it was my car, but decided it's more about the programming.

I've tuned the last 5 cars I have had, and i've seen what a good reflash to an ECU/ECM will do. My BSR PPC did wonders for my Saab 9-3 Aero, and both of my S60R's.

I do agree however, that you can manage it to some degree by being more proactive and more involved in the driving. But for those days when you are just kicked back and suddenly happen to need a quick kick down, and it's not there...that is just poor programming.

Yes...I still love my car.

My .02

Last edited by ParkStr8; 06-25-2008 at 12:34 PM.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:18 AM
You're Despicable

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Your comments could well be true, I've only had my car for a month so I can't really say I've had too much time in it, but on most occasions I've only had this problem once and learned my lesson since.

I have no idea what an ECU map would do but it may well help with this situation, and I can't comment on how good or bad the tranny is because I'm not knowledgeable in that area. You summed up what I wanted to say which is being a more proactive driver would probably help in eliminating/lessening this problem.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by ParkStr8
While I appreciate the "learn how to drive" comment, for me I have been to no less than 6 driving schools over my 25 years of driving, and have spent much time at many tracks, here and in EU. The most recent being California Speedway in Fontana for two days at a special SRT Track experience. During those days we drove every SRT vehilce including both Vipers, one at 650hp.

So that comment does not really apply here.

I think all we're saying is that for a high revving engine the tranny could use a bit of work, in either regular or sport mode. And regardless of shift points and the rev limiter, the shifting is less than optimal. It seems after reading many threads, this is a common complaint.

When I drive my car - with windows up and no radio or a/c on...and listen and feel the cars engine and tranny...I can tell that the car is inconsistent when shifting. It's almost never the same from day to day. At first I thought it was my car, but decided it's more about the programming.

I've tuned the last 5 cars I have had, and i've seen what a good reflash to an ECU/ECM will do. My BSR PPC did wonders for my Saab 9-3 Aero, and both of my S60R's.

I do agree however, that you can manage it to some degree by being more proactive and more involved in the driving. But for those days when you are just kicked back and suddenly happen to need a quick kick down, and it's not there...that is just poor programming.

Yes...I still love my car.

My .02
Pretty cool that you have racing experience.

Now learn to drive THIS car properly. The car is capable of what it's capable of. If you bounce off the limiter (driver error), you can't blame the car.

It's like the threads titled, "I turned off VDC and hit a mailbox." Yes, the car is VERY finicky without VDC. Scary sometimes in fact. That tail really likes to kick around. Nothing like my last car (450hp heads/cam 02 Trans Am). That thing was very controlled if the rear lost traction.

I do agree that the shift points (a different subject) need some fine tuning though. It shift too quickly out of 1st gear (especially after a u-turn or right turn) and the 2-3 shift is too harsh.

S60R: very sweet car. I could've flipped a coin in deciding between that car and my 07 G35. Honestly, I was going to buy the first one I found a better deal on (I was looking at used ones). I found the deal I needed on the G35 first.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by Defratos
For the people having this problem of hanging gears when downshifting, why don't you get to familiarize yourselves with which gears go through which speeds. I mean in a manual you wouldn't downshift without knowing roughly where the RPMs were going to stand. I know that at about 100km/h to around 110km/h its safe to downshift to 3rd without hitting the rev limiter, and vice versa for all other gears.

Get to know which gears sit where on your speedo before downshifting like mad because inevitably you'll hit the limiter if you don't know what you're doing. LEARN YOUR GEARING RATIOS. If you've driven a manual you'd probably be more familiar to how the car will react to do a perfect downshift. I just think its basic common sense if you know what you're doing and not just downshifting like a loon
Exactly!

But, people driving the autos (then playing with the manual mode) are used to not having to think about such things. So, they can get in trouble (hit the rev limiter, etc.).

When driving a manual, I'm always thinking about rpm and what gear I'm in, etc.

Just the fact that this auto will LET you stay in one gear and bounce off the rev limiter says something about the tranny. I like that it won't automatically shift for you. That gives you more control. If you want even more control...... turn VDC off.

But, then you'd better REALLY know how to drive this car properly.