West Serving AZ, CA, HI, NV

Honolulu maintenance costs...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 05:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honolulu maintenance costs...

I bought my sedan used, and wanted to take it in for its second maintenance service (just hit 7000 miles). I called the dealership, and they wanted $200! I asked what the maintenance entailed, and they said an oil/oil filter change, lube, and tire rotation.

Is that what the rest of you guys are paying? If that's the norm, I'm tempted to just do it myself. It looks easy enough, I just don't want to miss out on TSB's and recall fixes.

While I'm at it...I noticed I get about 240 miles with just below 1/4 tank remaining. It costs me about $32 bucks to fill the tank w/ super. No upgrades, yet. Are you guys getting around this kind of mileage too? I wasn't prepared for these gas costs, but eating home lunch a few times a week kinda off-sets it I guess...heheh. Just wondering if this is the norm.

Don't mean to sound like I'm complaining. I'm just concerned about keeping up w/ these costs. Wasn't prepared for it, that's all.

Old 11-13-2003, 11:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Honolulu maintenance costs...

I change my own oil and rotate my own tires. There's really nothing to "lube" on most modern cars.

Oil change is $30-40. Tire rotation is about $45, I think. The oil change is pricey for me, and the tire rotation cost is ridiculous. And that's at less than half of what your dealership wants. Of course, Hawaii is an expensive state.

Yeah, gas is a bit expensive. I generally get 15-16mpg. You can get better mileage if you drive carefully and not aggressively -- I can swing the mileage between 14 and 18 with driving style, but 14 is definately much more fun to experience. The car needs 91 octane. You don't gain anything by going to 93 or higher, and you don't save anything by going 89 or lower.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 11-13-2003, 01:22 PM

What kind of car do you drive? Where do you drive to/from? I live in Mililani and drive to Aiea, getting about 19-20mpg.

G35S 6MT
Diamond Graphite/Graphite
Premium Package

Old 11-13-2003, 02:49 PM

Thanks for the replies, all. At least I feel a little better about the gas mileage.

I have the 2003.0 Sedan, and basically drive from Manoa to Dole Cannery for work (about 10 miles each way?). Weekends I do some causal driving, but I'd say no more than 40 miles or so. I think I'm averaging about 17mpg, and I don't think I drive aggressively often. Sounds like that's the norm I guess. I just remember reading a post somewhere, and the guy said he got close to 350 miles. Made me wonder...

- NICNoobie

2003.0 (AT) Brilliant Silver Sedan
Leather & Premium Package
Clear Corners

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut"

Old 11-14-2003, 04:42 PM

Just gave my G its first feeding. 280mi w/ 1/4 tank remaining. $31.00 with 92octane.

G35S 6MT
Premium Package

Old 11-15-2003, 02:59 PM

You can get an oil change for about $35 at a Jiffy Lube or some quick lube place and tire rotations are freee at any Sears. Hope that helps you out .

As for gas I go to Chevron Middle St. super is only $2.19 a gallon.

Old 11-15-2003, 11:33 PM

Last I saw, Middle St. Chevron was at 2.14/gal. But, I've actually had better gas mileage and performance from Tesoro. Cheapest is in Mililani (next to Wal-Mart) at 2.11/Super.

G35S 6MT
Premium Package

Old 11-15-2003, 11:48 PM

I have been using costco gas eversince I had the G, so far no problems. $2.02

Desert Platinum2K3G35.0/LTH-AT/SPT/SRF/BOS/AER

Old 11-16-2003, 03:41 AM

Haven't heard bad things about Costco gas either. I just kinda hesitated when I saw the Aloha gas truck in there a few times. You do know that Costco gas is Aloha gas?

G35S 6MT
Premium Package

Old 11-17-2003, 04:16 AM

Thanks for the replies, gang! Feels a lot better knowing that my gas usage is about average...among G drivers anyway.

I went and bought my own car jack and jack stands w/ the $200 bucks I would have spent at Infiniti. I was planning to do an oil change this weekend, but Checker's didn't have our oil filter in stock. Probably a sign that a lot of other Hawaii G drivers do their own oil changes too..heheh.

Anyway, thanks again gang. See y'all on the road, and I'm sure I'll pop by a cruise or two. Can't make this one coming up since I'll be in LA, but I'm sure there will be many more.

Aloha,

- NICNoobie

2003.0 (AT) Brilliant Silver Sedan
Leather & Premium Package
Clear Corners

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut"

Old 11-18-2003, 02:12 AM

Tod I thought the G is your girlfriend's car and you drive a Lexus? Or is it the other way around, now that the G is in your life? You can always trade up to an INFINITI, lol

Old 11-18-2003, 02:13 AM

There is more to that... After I saw that long line at costco, I drove to the next close gas station I could Think of: 7eleven which surprise me that they too have aloha gas. : ( ...it's the weekend I understand.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Honolulu maintenance costs...