Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Tire Install - TPS Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 08:02 AM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Tire Install - TPS Problem

I dropped my car off last night to have some new tires installed on the OEM rims. I got a call this morning saying that they can't install the tires because of the OEM TPS sensors. They say that they need a 'kit' to do the job the right way, and that there isn't a kit availible for our car (they say its a dealer part).

Anyone run in to this? They are basically saying that they need to detach the sensor before removing the wheel, and in doing so they will need to replace a rubber seal.

They also told me that the TPS sensor might not work with my slightly larger tire (255-45-18). I have heard of VDC issues with different sized tires but never TPS issues.

Anyone know anything about this?

Old 05-08-2007, 10:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BS. If you only change the tire and not the rim then there should be no problem. If they do need to remove the sensor then a 10mm (I think) should do the job just fine. Not only I got new tire for my car but also switch the sensor into my new rim without any tool at all.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:59 AM
Banned
Did you reuse the same rubber seal or did you replace it?

The "kit" that they were talking about contains a new rubber seal (grommet), a new nut (sleeve), and a new TPS cap (with O-ring).

Old 05-08-2007, 11:08 AM
Looks like you got a case of dumbasses on your hand. Putting new tires on the stock wheels requires no special tools or techniques. Just some caution while removing your old tires and also tilting the tires so it doesn't hit the TPS during install of the new tires. That's it. If they need to remove the TPS, there's something wrong.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:18 PM
tps

For oem wheel that not a year old everything is still good included the seal. Just take precauion not to bend the tps. Either unscrew it and let it drop inside the wheel or press the tire down away from the rim using the tire changer machine so that you could reach in side and take it out completely after you removed the nut while the tire still on the rim. For aftermarket rim is something you have to try to see if it fit or not.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:56 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
I had to install the TPS on my Volks with a kit that puts the sensors inside the wheel at a 90-degree angle and does not use the valve on them.

There is no reason they would need to do anything with the sensors for this. They are morons.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by ttrank
I had to install the TPS on my Volks with a kit that puts the sensors inside the wheel at a 90-degree angle and does not use the valve on them.

There is no reason they would need to do anything with the sensors for this. They are morons.

you know what that kit is called? cuz i'm planning on changing my rims pretty soon and want the TPS still on there.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:35 PM
Banned
The sensors seal by compressing the rubber grommet. It's really never a good idea to reuse a compression seal, especially one that has been compressed for >3 years. For $5 I would much rather buy news ones then reuse the old ones.

I could probably reuse them, but the particular shop I took my car to recomended that I replace them. They have had problems with them resealing in the past and I can see how. They weren't trying to 'rip me off' or anything like that, as I purchased the parts directly from the Nissan dealership (a part that they stock so they can replace them when they do tires). Also, it is the shops policy to remove EVERY TPS before taking the tire off. This is due to the liability of breaking the TPS, something that happens quite frequently when they are left on, even when being careful.

Again, it cost me $5 to replace the rubber grommet that is responsible for sealing the tire. How does that make anyone a moron or a dumbass?

Old 05-08-2007, 06:45 PM
Banned

This is what I am talking about. The grommet is the little black washer looking thing that goes around the sensor. This is from the Nissan service manual.

Please note at the bottom that Nissan recomends replacing this grommet EVERY time you change the sensors. Hopefully this will clear up my issue.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:49 AM
Good info

+1 on the pic.

I'm about to replace my OEM tires (at 13k miles the rears are shot), and want to get the kit from a nearby Infiniti/Nissan dealer.

Anybody know the part number for this kit ?

$20 or $30 for doing it right seems like the good choice....

TIA /

Old 05-22-2007, 04:35 PM
Banned
The guy at the Nissan dealership new exactly what I was talking about when I called him, so it seems like it is a fairly common part. I don't have the actual part number, but the dealership should be able to find it easily.

Old 05-22-2007, 04:40 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by KPierson
The guy at the Nissan dealership new exactly what I was talking about when I called him, so it seems like it is a fairly common part. I don't have the actual part number, but the dealership should be able to find it easily.
I think ttrank's point is for aftermarket wheels using a banding or bracket method which doesn't apply in this situation since you are just replacing tires on the OEM wheels

Old 05-22-2007, 04:51 PM
Banned
That response was to dbmaven.

Old 05-22-2007, 04:56 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by KPierson
That response was to dbmaven.
oops, quoted the wrong post, i was referring to the one you posted about "morons"

Old 05-22-2007, 09:45 PM
Thanks - a little deep digging and I think I found it:

http://www.courtesyparts.com/betasit...ducts_id=14024

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tire Install - TPS Problem