Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

A couple of questions: rims, spacers, studs, and the lack of standardization

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 02:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A couple of questions: rims, spacers, studs, and the lack of standardization

Hello everyone,

I've gone through a trek and a half to figure out how to put these rims on my car...I think we came up with a suitable solution but I would like input:

-These are a set of black Axis 20" rims x10 in the back and 9 in the front I want to put on my 2007 G sedan. the back wheels fit perfect but on the front wheels, the calipers are too big for the rim, so the rim needs to be spaced out about ~8-9mm.
-Although a 10mm spacer would work, I bought a 15mm IchibaUSA hubcentric spacer because the 10's would have taken longer to come in...the problem with these is that the spacer takes up too much thread on the studs, not leaving enough for the lugnuts to grab...
-ET lugnuts wont work because the holes on the rims are too narrow for the lugnuts to fit through...they would need to be machined out, but that's a last resort I think.
-I managed to get my hands on a set of Project KICS spacers with nuts that sit flush with the spacer, and these ones have their own studs, so technically that should have worked but the G35 studs are TOO LONG and stick out further than the spacer...
-the current solution is to order new longer studs (have to wait till wednesday) and just replace them, then put on the IchibaUSA spacers and be done with it. I'm just pissed I have to wait..

any thoughts? I never thought things would be so unstandardized in this industry..what with lugnuts, studs, rims, and everything else being a different size, i'm surprised anyone gets anything done.