Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Nitrogen Tires,I'm sold.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 01:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by G35_TX
Actually the car can handle better with Nitrogen. The main reason is Nitrogen doesn't change tire PSI with temp. The hotter the tire gets, the higher the PSI gets. Just like racing, you need to play with your tire pressures to find the optimal one. Once you find it you have to keep changing it if the tire gets hot or cold to keep it handling good. With nitrogen it stays in that PSI whatever the temperature might be.

So in a way yes it can make the car handle better.

nitrogen pressure will change with temp, just not as much. and unless he is driving his g top speed on a hot day after storing it in a cool garage the difference will be unnoticeable. the difference in pure nitrogen aned air(mostly nitrogen)is a small percentage.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:59 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Actually the car can handle better with Nitrogen. The main reason is Nitrogen doesn't change tire PSI with temp. The hotter the tire gets, the higher the PSI gets. Just like racing, you need to play with your tire pressures to find the optimal one. Once you find it you have to keep changing it if the tire gets hot or cold to keep it handling good. With nitrogen it stays in that PSI whatever the temperature might be.

Really? I guess my freshman chemistry teacher should be fired! . Quick question, what percentage of air is nitrogen?

Old 08-06-2007, 02:45 PM
Premier Member

Here you go for the mis-informed people.

----

Nitrogen is an inert, dry, non-flammable gas that’s used by NASCAR racers, the aircraft industry, the U.S. military, Formula One racers and others to inflate tires. So why do the tires on a truck or the family sedan have “plain old air” in them?

Well, it’s probably because the owners didn’t know about nitrogen and the benefits of using it instead of “plain old air”. And frankly, it hasn’t been readily available at local tire stores because there hasn’t been a way to produce or provide nitrogen to the average user.

Nitrogen is all around us. The air we breathe is 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen and the rest is small amounts of other gasses. When it comes to tires, oxygen is the culprit. Nitrogen in tires instead of “plain old air” maximizes the vehicle’s handling, fuel efficiency and tire life through better tire pressure retention, improved fuel economy and cooler running tire temperatures.

What immediate benefits can be expected from Nitrogen filled tires?

Better Maintenance of Tire Air Pressure
Because of the larger molecular size of Nitrogen, it migrates through a tire 3 to 4 times slower than oxygen.

Lower Fuel Consumption
Better tire air pressures improve rolling resistance and reduce the risk of running tires under-inflated.

Is having Nitrogen in my tires dangerous?

Absolutely not. Nitrogen is an inert gas, which means that it does not support combustion.

What are the long-term benefits of Nitrogen filled tires?

Extended Tire Life
With tires maintaining better pressure, tire life can be significantly extended.

Oxidation is Eliminated
With Nitrogen, there is no more oxidation of inner liners, belt packages, valve stem hardware or air pressure monitoring devices.

No More Rim Rust
Nitrogen is completely dry. Condensation is eliminated.

On the Road Reliability
Decreased tire failures reduce costly down time.

What if one of my tires is low and I’m not close to a service center that has nitrogen?

It won’t harm your tires to “top them off” with regular air if necessary… but the more air you put in, the less benefit you’ll get from the remaining Nitrogen in your tire. It is important to get your tire re-filled with Nitrogen when possible.

Is Nitrogen harmful to the environment?

No, Nitrogen is a natural inert gas that makes up 79% of the air we breathe.

What are the Overall Benefits of Nitrogen?

Better tire pressure retention – nitrogen migrates through a tire 3 to 4 times slower than oxygen. It may take 6 months to lose 2 psi with nitrogen compared to less than a month with oxygen.

Improved fuel economy – a result of having the proper air pressure which lessens the rolling resistance. Under-inflated tires have a greater rolling resistance.

Cooler running tires – tires inflated with nitrogen run cooler than tires inflated with regular air.

Removal of oxidation – oxygen is a highly reactive element at high temperatures and pressures. Replacing the oxygen with nitrogen helps eliminate the oxidation that damages inner liners and belt packages.

Elimination of rim rust – since nitrogen is completely dry, condensation is eliminated which eliminates rim rust.

On-the-road reliability – tire failures can be significantly reduced while reducing down time and Nitrogen Tire Inflation Systems costly service calls.

Old 08-06-2007, 02:56 PM
i think youre the one who is misinformed. of course proper tire pressures will make a car handle better. nitrogen at 33psi will not handle better than air at 33psi. simple fact. the tire pressure in your G will not change very much with air based on driving. the main factor to cause pressure change based on temp would be weather(summer to winter) or in extreme cases such as those in a nascar race where the tires start out pretty cool but heat up to extreme temps way past what you will see in your G, or in an airplane. again, the difference is minimal in any case, but whatever you feel gives you the edge

Old 08-06-2007, 03:51 PM
Premier Member

Oh, then I guess all the information on the Internet about Nitrogen in tires and on race cars is wrong right? lol.

Like it says, it keeps the tires cooler.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:53 PM
not all of it, just the stuff you posted that was put out by the people marketing the stuff.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:55 PM
Premier Member

More off the net..

---
Nitrogen inflation has been used in racing car tires for a long time. The advantage what I have personally observed is nitrogen has a more predictable change in pressure as temperature increases. This is because you do not have the unknown factor of the amount of moisture in the compressed air. This is important because you are looking for an optimal "hot" pressure and you start off the race with a "cold" tire. To contradict what someone else said, all gases change pressure as temperature changes. Nitrogen will not have a constant pressure over a temperature range, just be more predictable.

For road cars the only real advantage that I see is that you do not have any oxygen or water inside the tire. This might prolong the life of the internal structure of the tire by preventing corrosion, or it might not. I don't think it would make a difference over a few years. I do inflate my trailer tires with nitrogen, because I never use my trailers enough to wear the tread off the tire before they fail from tread separation, dry rot, or cords slipping.

For a couple hundred bucks or less you can have your very own nitrogen setup for refilling your tires.

Last edited by G35_TX; 08-06-2007 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:00 PM
copying and pasting a nitrogen sales flier doesn't make you any more "informed". Can you explain how nitrogen doesn't change pressure with temperature? Last time I checked, it was still makes up the majority of the air, are you saying the ~21% of air that is oxygen is causing the expansion due to temperature increases?

Old 08-06-2007, 04:01 PM
Premier Member

Those were not nitrogen sales flyers. lol. Tell ya what. Do a search with google, and type in Nitrogen Filled tires better handling....

Damn you get alot of info.

Nascar, Indy cars, and many other racers use Nitrogen for a reason.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:02 PM

More off the net..

---
Nitrogen inflation has been used in racing car tires for a long time. The advantage what I have personally observed is nitrogen has a more predictable change in pressure as temperature increases. This is because you do not have the unknown factor of the amount of moisture in the compressed air. This is important because you are looking for an optimal "hot" pressure and you start off the race with a "cold" tire. To contradict what someone else said, all gases change pressure as temperature changes. Nitrogen will not have a constant pressure over a temperature range, just be more predictable.

For road cars the only real advantage that I see is that you do not have any oxygen or water inside the tire. This might prolong the life of the internal structure of the tire by preventing corrosion, or it might not. I don't think it would make a difference over a few years. I do inflate my trailer tires with nitrogen, because I never use my trailers enough to wear the tread off the tire before they fail from tread separation, dry rot, or cords slipping.

For a couple hundred bucks or less you can have your very own nitrogen setup for refilling your tires.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:06 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by redlude97
More off the net..

Okay, it doesn't change as much. How about that? Happy?

Old 08-06-2007, 04:07 PM
Those were not nitrogen sales flyers. lol. Tell ya what. Do a search with google, and type in Nitrogen Filled tires better handling....

They use it because it is more predictable, not because it offers better handling. Your posts from the net even state that. 33psi is 33psi, wether its nitrogen, air, helium, hydrogen, xenon. Once the tires reach their operating temperature, and you bleed off/add air to set the pressure, IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE WHAT GAS IS IN THERE.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:18 PM

they will use anything that will give them the slightest advantage. for your G, there would be zero performance advantage.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:22 PM
Nitrogen is all around us. The air we breathe is 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen and the rest is small amounts of other gasses. When it comes to tires, oxygen is the culprit. Nitrogen in tires instead of “plain old air” maximizes the vehicle’s handling, fuel efficiency and tire life through better tire pressure retention, improved fuel economy and cooler running tire temperatures.

this look like a sales site to me

http://www.getnitrogen.org/index.php

Old 08-06-2007, 04:59 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Guys no sense on arguing. The main thing is: if you can get your tires nitrogen filled easily then it is definitely the way to go. It does have some benifits over air filled tires, period

Last edited by GEE35FX; 08-06-2007 at 05:32 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Nitrogen Tires,I'm sold.