Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Eibach's bouncy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 02:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eibach's bouncy

I don't do a whole lot of freeway driving living here in Las Vegas. I noticed that with my current setup of Eibach Pro Kit springs and 20's, the car tends to have excessive "reflex" on larger bumps during highway driving. Basically, after hitting a larger bump, the car acts as if it is riding on cut coil springs, bouncing two or three times and scraping the top of the tires against the top of the wheelwell (in the front).

Also, the Eibach's feel much less stiff going over obstacles like speed bumps.

I'm considering swapping them out to a different brand that has a firmer spring rate. Does anyone have a recommendation? I've heard the Sprint Springs for the G are firmer and could be a possibility

Old 02-18-2004, 03:28 AM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Eibach's bouncy

Is your car a non sport by chance? The peak rates on the Eibach's aren't much different than stock and the progressive part with the softer intial rates certainly are softer than stock, so I"m not suprised on the soft comment. But that same progressive spring design, should be isolating you against bounce. How many miles do you have on the springs? Has the car alway's felt this way?

This is how the Eibach's sedan spring rates stack up to the oem rates.

oem spring rates
G35 sedan with sport: 357/407
G35 sedan non sport* 296/370 (*new info)

Eibach springs for the sedan 259/334 front 359/413 rear

Tein H-tech for G35 Coupe & Sedan (note very soft rear rates)
F/R Progressive spring rates listed rates are final rates
324/263

S-tech
358/274

If you were to use the Teins ment for the Z these are the spring rates, ADD 7/8" front and 1 1/8" rear to the published drop amounts to get real sedan lowering amounts.

Tein H-tech for 350Z
F/R Progressvie spring rates listed rates are final rates
H-tech
358/375

S-tech
386/402

Another choice RSR springs, the only linear spring choice.
They drop the Z .6"
345 front 417 rear

"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

G35 6mt

Old 02-18-2004, 03:59 AM

My car did have the sport suspension package on it. I only have about 3k miles on the car, but have done very limited freeway driving. Is there a possibility the springs are not installed correctly? When I hit large bumps at slow speeds, I get a strange rattling from the left front suspension. The car has always acted in this manner.

It looks like the S-Tech Springs may be the way to go for stiffer ride. I also think the Eibach's lower the car more than 1.1".

The reason I mentioned the Sprint springs was because another member on the forum has a sedan with the same wheels, and does not rub, and is pretty happy with the ride quality, although it is stiffer according to him.

The strange thing with the Sprint springs is that my car sits almost exactly the same and they are advertised at 1.75" of drop.

Whoa.... why are the rear spring rates on those options so much lower than stock? <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by gdupg35 on 02/18/04 01:06 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 02-18-2004, 08:35 AM

gdupg35

i had eibachs on my old car (t-bird) and they were bouncy over bumps @ highway speeds with the stock shocks, so i switched my shocks to bilstiens and it helped alot.
so maybe a good after market shock foir our g's may help. if you feel your springs are upside down look under the car and make sure the eibach logo and part number on the the springs are right side up, if they are upside down then your spring are upside down.
hope that helps.

Old 02-18-2004, 09:08 AM
Deep Sea Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about replacing the struts? I thought whenever you put in aftermarket springs you should upgrade your factory struts. I know we've got good struts already but they were designed for a certain range of travel and when you lower, even with the same spring rate, you're causing more stress on the oem struts. Eventually you'll wear out your struts and start looking like most of the "civics" that cut springs or used lowering springs but have blown out their struts. Bouncin like a '64 in a Dr Dre video.

Russ

Black 6MT Coupe
Jax, FL
PS2 and Headrest Monitors Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 02:24 AM

Well, the springs are on correctly. I want to change the springs first and foremost, but I am sure the shocks/struts will make a difference as well. Any recommendations on new shocks/struts for a lowered G?

Thanks!

Old 02-19-2004, 02:54 AM

Koni sports $629.44 set of 4 free shipping
800-683-2890 www.shox.com

"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

G35 6mt

Old 02-19-2004, 03:12 AM

That's pretty expensive. I don't understand why struts are so much on cars. I miss the days of owning a 4x4 and changing the shocks out for $40 each.

I'd rather go with the cheapest coilovers. Aren't the Tein Basics going for close to that?

Old 02-19-2004, 03:38 AM

Yeah the basic's are close at $780. But the Koni's do at least give you dampener adjustability, the Koni's are adjustable for rebound. Tein basic dampeners are not adjustable, it's springs only adjust for ride height. And on the sedan you have to be ok with the drop range the Tein basic's give. On the sedan Tein's recommended setup drops the sedan 2.5" front and 1.1" rear, that's way way to low for me. If I were to use them I'd be buying softer (and taller) front springs, otherwise you end up moving to much spring stiffness to the front.

Tein Basic Coilovers
350Z/G35 Coupe & Sedan
F/R spring rates Linear springs
504/504
Front to rear spring rate balance change VS OEM on
350Z/G35 Coupe
+45% stiffer front and +20% rear (25% transfer to front)
G35 Sedan w/sport +41% front +24% rear (17% transfer to front)

If 448lbs springs are run in front balance VS OEM
changes to: Setup would use same rates as the Nismo S-tune suspension btw.
350Z/G35 Coupe +29% front +20% rear (9% transfer to front)
G35 sedan w/sport +25% front +24% (1% transfer to front)

On the Tein spec page they say the min and max drop range for the Basic's are front 1.6" and 3.7" rear 0" and 1.4". With how I'd use them, it would be front .6" to 2.7" same in the rear.I'd use them will 1" taller and slighly softer front springs, ($165)

Edmund Burke

G35 6mt

Old 02-19-2004, 03:56 AM

Thanks for the info. Do you have any specs for the Sprint Springs?

Old 02-19-2004, 02:53 PM

No, a call to Sprint isn't one I've made. I had a real hard time getting them to spill the beans on spring rates for a older car. At first they held up the "it's privileged info" sign, not sure what sign they'll hold up on a new platform. Guss I should call them.

I just tried to find their web page to get a phone number, I can't find it. I'll keep on looking.

Edmund Burke

G35 6mt

Old 02-21-2004, 12:43 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Lowering springs + sports car + super low profile 20's = bouncy ride...

geee.. would have never guessed that was going to happen

"Don't sweat the petty, Pet the sweaty"

2003 BLK/BLK 6-spd Injen clear corners

Old 02-21-2004, 02:24 PM

Coupe suspension is 1" lower than the sedan via shorter springs, and it doesn't bounce.

lowering springs + any type of vehicle + any tire profile + poor shock control = bounce. Their are lot's of sports car's on the road that don't have bounce, having it is unexceptable. Get the shock's right or change out the springs to one's that match the dampning abilities of the shocks. While the Eibach's progressive design, should insolate against bounce, this is not the case for this owner. We can brush it off as that's just the way things are, or we can look at cause and effect, either the oem shock's are fading, or never had enough dampning in the first place. But you have to be willing to make the investment to get the car right, performance shocks are a investment.

The thing about lowered suspensions is that the people that have them, have differing abilities to discern and diagnose issues that deal with bad behavior. Mix in the opinion factor and it really gets difficult, plus people tend to overlook short comings after having spent the money to lower the car. Which doesn't help those looking to follow with the same setup. One guys "rides just like stock" is another guys, "my car has bounce". Since people tend to paint rosy pictures, I'm inclined to believe the guy reporting something wrong to a higher degree.

Edmund Burke

G35 6mt

Old 02-21-2004, 04:58 PM

XCELR8 - I assume your keen suspensions engineering skills are the impetus for your insightful comments. NOT. It's simple. If you have nothing valid to contribute stay off the forums. Your insolence and downright rudeness belongs on Mustang forums.

Gsedan35: I appreciate your help in the matter. I'm assuming the major issue in my case deals with the progressive nature of the Eibach's. My car doesn't have enough miles for the struts to be the major issue at this point. I think a linear spring may cure the soft/bouncy nature of my suspension at slower speeds but I'm not sure how this would effect the highway ride. I do however, want to maintain the drop that the Eibach's offer. Thanks again for all your help.

Old 02-22-2004, 12:21 AM

No actually your more likely to bounce on linear springs, that's what's puzzling about your situation. Progressive springs in place of linear should be less likely to bounce.
Of couse the easiest test for you to run is to simply install the oem springs and see if the bounce goes away, or you could find a set of 350Z/G35 Coupe springs which would lower the car about a inch and test them. I have a set of 350Z springs, pm me if interested as I'd like to know how they are on oem sport struts myself.

Edmund Burke

G35 6mt

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Eibach's bouncy