Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Lowering Springs = Increased Tire Wear?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 04:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lowering Springs = Increased Tire Wear?

Hey guys.

I bought a set of Tein S-Tech's a couple weeks ago, but havent installed them because of some reoccuring concerns. My father has been in the automotive buisiness (parts distributor) for 20+ years and he has pretty much seen it all. I asked him if he knew a good place to install my springs and he instinctively told me that I shouldn't install them at all.

He said that no matter how small the drop, there will be significant tire wear even with an alignment. I know that if I bought a set of Camber Arms for the front and back it would remedy this problem, but I just don't have that kind of money. So my question is, Will installing these springs really cause significant uneven tire wear? Will I be losing a couple thousand miles of usable tread for my tires? What are the real consquences of the install?

Btw, the Tein S-Techs have a 1.2" Drop Front and 0.9" Drop Back.

Twilight Blue G35 Coupe 6MT
Premium - Nav - Aero - Trunk Mat
Injen CAI

Old 03-15-2004, 07:50 AM
Deep Sea Moderator
Re: Lowering Springs = Increased Tire Wear?

One of the guys I know from Tampa has the same wheels as I do but his is lowered. He's already had to sway is tires from side to side, can't remember how many miles he got out of them (his name is Omi). I got an alignment after my wheel install and my camber was way off. With the max adjustment the factory settings would allow I'm still a little too negative. You're correct about needing camber arms, especially for the front.

Russ

Black 6MT Coupe
Jax, FL
PS2 and Headrest Monitors Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 09:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img] didn't anyone tell you that "father's are always right"? JK man, but I don't think you should put those on either. If your worried about money, you're going to be spending a lot more of it with just springs.

Springs is a cheap way to lower your car, but your shocks are going to go out sooner and your tires won't last that long without the camber kit. With the coupe camber is an issue too. The car comes stock with a lot of rear camber. If you love taking corners you'll see brand new looking tires with no inside corner left.

If your going to go with spring at least get the camber kit. The $500+ is worth the $1,000+ you'll be spending every 5k or less miles.

Old 03-15-2004, 10:18 AM

Camber Arms for just the Rear (Stillen) sell for around $500. So, I am guessing that camber arms for the front are also going to run me $500. Although, I havent seen any place sell camber arms for the front.

I dont drive my car hard at all. They are mostly highway miles. On average, I drive around 12,000 miles a year. If the tire wear with the springs is minimal, then I am willing to live with it. If I am going to have no inside corners on my tires in a couple months after I install my springs, then I am selling them for sure.

Injen CAI

Old 03-15-2004, 12:16 PM

I have not noticed any appreciable wear on my tires since I installed the Eibachs about 4000 miles ago...and get this ...I did NOT have an alignment done on the car. I planned on getting a rear camber kit (thus the reason for not aligning) and just keep putting it off. I know the rear camber is off, but the stock rubber is a little harder compund so I guess this is the reason for the good tire wear. I was actually hoping the springs would burn my tires up so I could get some decent rubber.....
BTW the rear camber kits are around $200 on EBAY. I would install the springs, the car looks WAY better.

Old 03-15-2004, 12:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You will get more inside tire wear when lowering a vehicle unless you adjust camber back to original specs. If you are lowering that much, you would have to get a camber kit in the rear, because stock camber adjustments will not allow to fix that much of a difference. I think Stillen is WAY overpriced for that camber kit. If you look at the camber arms, they are essentially adjustable rods ends, which can be purchased for around $75. I think someone else needs to get rolling on a camber kit so we don't have to spend $500. Either way, you would need to get aligned. I also would not lower without the proper struts/shocks due to increased wear on them.

'03.5 Silver AT Sedan, Premium, Aero Kit/Package, Sport, Winter, Stillen Air Box, Z pipe, Polk Tweeters, Clifford RSX 3.5, Gram Light 57F Pro's (on the way), Hotchkis sways<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by khsonic03 on 03/15/04 02:50 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 03-15-2004, 01:02 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

The front has no provision for any adjustment besides toe. To adjust the front camber you have to buy a expensive adjustable front upper control arm. 3 such arm's are currently offered.

1.Evo350 $850
https://www.350evo.com/catalog/produ...178db56e350208

2.PerformanceNissan $799
www.performancenissanparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=153_261&products_id=341

3.Kinetix $389 (not a design I'm fond of, IMO)
http://www.kinetixracing.com/index.a...&ProdID=7&HS=1

Rear camber on the Coupe will adjust to specs with mild drops, like .6". At a 1" drop things get debateable and likely you'll have to purchase rear camber adjustment arms. Cheapest arm you can buy are the Kinetix camber arms at $219. I have them, excellent part, highly recommend.

http://www.kinetixracing.com/index.a...WPROD&ProdID=2

"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

G35 6mt

Old 03-15-2004, 04:57 PM
Omi
Charter Monkey Florida G35 club

yes, you will see tire wear. With the Eibach's, I only got about 2k miles on my Toyo's and had to swap them. And only the front. The back did not wear that badly compared to the fronts. The only way to fix this is to replace the upper A arms for the front and a camber kit for the rear. A arms are about $850 from the 350Evo guys (and the G35 one is not ready yet; only the 350z and it has enough of a difference that the G needs its own config).

Or buy coilovers and manually change ride height (PITA)

Old 03-15-2004, 09:42 PM

have the s-techs installed. my alignment is just about back to factory settings. I have had all my cars lowered in the past, if you have it aligned correctly, the tire wear is close to normal. not bad at all.

209137-new rims 002.jpg

Old 03-15-2004, 09:46 PM

Does the front go out faster than the rear?

I am about to buy some kinetix camber arms, but can't seem to find front camber control arms for anything less that $400. I really dont like the Kinetix front control arm design compared to the others that are priced $800.

If I get the rear camber kit, do I really need the front? I am planning to get an alignment as well.

Injen CAI

Old 03-16-2004, 01:38 AM

The G is the first car that I've owned that is lowered and hasn't had profusely fast tire wear. I don't have the camber kit for it and there is no appreciable wear on my Nitto NT555's (245/35/20) after about 4000 miles. I've driven Accords, Civics, and Chevy trucks that were lowered WITH camber kits that still went through tires (especially in the front) after only 3000-4000 miles.

Maybe I'm just lucky, or its the fact that I don't do a lot of highway driving, but I'm happy with not having tires going bald so quickly.

Old 03-28-2004, 01:56 PM

I just installed the Kinetix rear arms and I am really wondering why. Check out the wear after 5800 miles on Eibachs and NO alignment. Not too bad. The right side of the pic is the inside of the tire. I know the OEM EL42's are a pretty hard compound tire but I am surpised at the lack of wear.

Old 03-28-2004, 02:00 PM

Sorry pic was too big......

216864-tire1.jpg

Old 03-28-2004, 03:53 PM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver

Yea, I think im just gonna go with springs without a camber kit. Some people say you need it some you don't!! I asked a few people and said it doesnt matter. Anyone have the 350Z springs in their car? I want a noticeable drop but not too much for my rims on my sedan, I have 19 inch rims not on the car yet. I also want a stiff stiff performance ride without bounciness and less body roll. Any recommendations? Thanks, iLLG

Wat'ssss Realllyyyy Goooodddd!!!!!