Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Winter with all season tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 07:36 AM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by cycleguy55
It also depends a lot on where you live. I'm in Saskatchewan, Canada, and I don't have the option to wait a few months until the temperature is once again above freezing. Winter tires are about a lot more than just snow and ice - they also retain flexibility in cold temperatures in order to provide traction on cold asphalt or concrete.

A/S tires get harder and harder as the temperature drops, and if you live in an area where the daily high temperatures don't get above freezing (or colder), you'll know what I mean. When it's 0 deg. F or -20 deg. C (or colder, it can get to -40 here), those A/S tires are rock hard and lose a lot of their grip even on clean and dry pavement.

Regardless, while it costs money to buy a set of winter tires, you're extending the life of your summer or A/S tires so, in the end, the $$/mile (or $$ per kilometre for my Canadian friends) isn't significantly different, and you're protecting your 'good' rims from the salt and other crud on the roads in the winter.

So, given the $$ isn't really that much different, why drive on compromise or sub-optimal tires in the winter when there is a better choice?
You guys are preaching to the choir. I was simply telling another from ohio that all season tires were ok to ride on, but I guess I should have mentioned that If you have the money, get another set of wheels and tires. I have three sets of tires and rims for my G. Winter, Summer and All season. He lives in Ohio, and the winters here dont warrent full on winter/snow tires. It only snows here in C-bus about 1-2 months, and its barely measurable sometimes.

Oh, I do also have a Silverado that I drive in the winter mostly. I know this issue has been beat up on these threads, I was one of them asking questions three years ago when I bought my G with 19" summer tires. I found out through lack of grip in my driveway that I needed something else. In Ohio, I have been fine with all season tires. Do I want a set of Winter tires? yes, in fact I have comment in simular threads about how I lived in Germany and all cars are required to have winter tires in the snow season. I have driven with those winter tires on the autobahn and know how important they are to stop in those types of weather.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:50 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes tire rubber compounds have specific temperature ranges beyond which the friction fall off a cliff. Lots of difference between 25F snow and 0F ice and snow.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:56 PM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
I would definitely get a set of winter tires..
difference is night and day..
and I couldn't figure out why someone wouldn't spend the $600 for a set of winters for that peace of mind.
if your car slips and hits the car in front of you, that's $7k+ of damage.
just not worth the stress w/ A/S