Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Sedan Replacement Tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 06:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sedan Replacement Tires

In my review of the discussion on replacement tires, it appears that much has been discussed. I am a highway driver and love the way the car seems to "ride on rails", but would like to improve on the wet handling and reduce tire noise when replacing the stock Goodyer GS-D tires. I will not be driving the car hard, so can use an all season touring rather than summer only tire. Research at Tire Rack shows mixed reviews on the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, although I can get them fairly reasonably priced at the local SAMS Club. I have found also good reviews on the Bridgestone Turanza LS, but they are pricey in my town (Tulsa, OK). Both would be 235 50 R17 on stock sport wheels. I assume either would give better wet performance but profile change may not improve ride or noise.
Has anyone had experience with the Toyo Proxes TPT, which is now available in stock size (215 55 R17), at a bit better price than the Michelin locally? I would love to hear anyone comment on this tire vs the other two. Thank you for your help.

Old 06-20-2004, 08:30 AM
Re: Sedan Replacement Tires

Highly recommend the Michelins !

The Prisoner
------ We want information ...

2004 G35 Sedan AT w/ Premium, Leather, Wood, Sport & Michelin Pilot Sport A/S @ 235/50ZR17 on Stock Rims

Old 06-20-2004, 11:04 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wet handling is primarily a function of very soft fast wearing tread compounds.[160 vs 300 or ugh 400 wear index].....in the same speed rating......Directional or conventional patterns have almost no variance except in turning near [just under] the hydroplane speed [direct function of inflation pressure].

Contrary to what most think and the advertising hype.

All seasons [even V,Z, W rated] are definitely a step down in wet braking distance and handling. But summer tires can't be used effectively below 45F.

You have to pick the tire based on temperature that day! Or accept compromises.

Wet braking at 50 mph can vary by 25-30 feet [out of 100 nominal feet] [110 -80 feet] after brakes are applied from worst to best tire in same size on same road same temperature.

Oem soft compound tires [assuming they are Michelin quality] almost always out wet brake aftermarket replacements.

Old 06-21-2004, 10:04 AM

I am not a number, I am a free man!

ETicketRide
2003 G35 Sedan/Ivory Pearl/Willow Premium/Sport/Tint

Old 06-21-2004, 11:41 AM

I recently replaced my sedan tires with the Toyo Proxes TPT in a 235/50 size. I originally had the Turanza EL42 which was a terrible tire.

I can tell you that the Toyo is a huge improvement. Its slightly wider and gives much better feel. The real difference is in wet traction. Night and day.

As fas as the Michelins, I have read nothing but good things about them however the Toyo is much less expensive. In 215/55/17 you can get them for $105 each vs. $200 for the Pilots. For the 235/50 I paid about $130 each. Try www.treaddepot.com

Old 06-21-2004, 12:39 PM
Premier Member

Well, I hate to tell you but you are not correct on your assumption on wet tires and how soft the tire is.

The softer the tire, the faster it wil wear, but the better grip it will give in DRY conditions. This does not include wet. Wet conditions might benefit from a softer tire, but usually they do not. It's the way the TREAD pattern is designed is what helps with grip in the wet.

I recommend the Bridgestone RE750, it has what you want in a tire and long life.

No OEM tire is better than aftermarket replacements.

2004 Infiniti G35S, 6MT, Premium, Sport, DP
Mods: JDM Clears, 20% tint, Z-tube, K&N Drop In
Track: 14.32 at 98.79 mph 2.2032 60ft

Old 06-21-2004, 12:48 PM

Interesting since the TPT is a unidirectional 400 A A tire with a 65k prorated limited warranty.........pretty hard tire to say the least. And the EL42 are 260 tread wear soft tire..

Unfortunately there are no published 50-zero wet braking test to compare them.

Some say the EL42 is a secret conspiracy to get owners to swap tires quickly to relieve Nissan of any tire responsibility,
Yet the very same tire [labeled] is used on LS430 with outstanding results...........just shows you you cannot compare tires in different sizes or trust tire test with different sizes on different cars. Many times the same model brand size tire will be constructed internally different for a specific oem application...........you must read and understand the data on the sidewall as to plies and construction material used!

"These tires have finally reached the end of their useful life (about 1/8" tread left). They have been the best set of OEM tires I have ever had (Goodyear RSAs on previous cars). However, they do have some problems. Road noise has increased with milage and wet traction has decreased. As the tread got shorter, the dry traction has increased marginally (probably due to shorter tread only). I have been surprised with the milage I have acheived with these tires considering the "260 A A" ratings they have. However, I DO keep the tire pressure high (40 lbs cold) to improve handling"

Many differing opinions.

Old 06-21-2004, 01:20 PM

"It's the way the TREAD pattern is designed is what helps with grip in the wet."

Not really as tread other than getting water out of the way is a detriment to the molecular bonding with the road. Tread to void ratio.

Interesting test at tire rack where they reversed directional tires and nothing changed.......everyone who was not a tire engineer was surprised........why do we have directional tires, surely not to improve wet braking. Smoke and mirrors to sell public on faster wearing noisey directional tires.
Ask tire rack why they removed these test from their web site under pressure from manufacturers...........oh we can't confuse the tire buying public as we have so much invested in directional tire molds.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...res_wet_c.html
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ilot+Sport+PS2

Directionality when coupled with hard compounds often is much worse than non directional and soft compounds as shown by comparing the above two test.