Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

G35 Coupe Tire Wear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 04:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by neal@tirerack
I'd check alignment, air pressures, and shocks. All can lead to premature tire wear.
What PSI should i be running on the G35 coupe? Car and Dealer recommend 36psi but i was reading that under inflated tires wear out faster and over inflated last longer. Is this true?

Toyo says 50max, so should i put 46PSI?

Old 06-05-2009, 05:02 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
You'll need at least the recommended pressures in the door/owners manual to support the car weight properly. Up from there will help steering response, handling, and make a bit stiffer ride. I don't see a problem with 46 psi, seems a happy medium. Just don't over inflate as you'll wear the tire down the middle.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:35 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Grevving6
What PSI should i be running on the G35 coupe? Car and Dealer recommend 36psi but i was reading that under inflated tires wear out faster and over inflated last longer. Is this true?

Toyo says 50max, so should i put 46PSI?
You need to do a chalk test on your tires to determine the proper PSI for your setup. Google it if you don't know how to do a chalk test for tire pressure.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:49 AM
Originally Posted by partyman66
You need to do a chalk test on your tires to determine the proper PSI for your setup. Google it if you don't know how to do a chalk test for tire pressure.

TIRE CHALK TEST FOR EVERYONE THAT DOES NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS METHOD
*Just draw a straight line right across the flat face of the tire. With tires like that, I start at a high pressure (not exceeding max.) and work my way down in PSI until I get to where I have the even wear of the line.

Easier Way
Another way to get close and tell just how much tread contact you have is to use the water test...drive through a very small amount of water and look at the wet pattern on the ground. This will give you a good idea of the contact patch and help in determining how far across the tire to draw the line.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by cpezie
That's definitely abnormal wear. I have the original pilot sports front and back and I'm at 28k. I still have about 5K of tread left on the back and maybe 2-3k on the front.
I notice in standard rain if I hit a puddle the car pulls pretty hard to the right or left. So it's time to replace them.
Every how many months do you do alignments? What PSI are you running?

Old 07-28-2009, 09:47 AM
Originally Posted by partyman66
It's pretty normal for our cars to wear on the inner edges of the front tires. All generations of Skylines have done this as a result of aggressive factory front end alignments that the car was designed to have. The same trend of aggressive front end alignment was used with our G35 Coupes, and it results in slightly better handling at the expense of tire longevity.

One of the unfortunate things about the earlier model G35 Coupes(I think it was either '04 and prior or possibly '05 and prior) is that the camber cannot be adjusted to the point that it would eliminate the inner edge tire wear problems. You have to purchase and install an aftermarket camber kit to be able to get a full range of adjustment so that you can correct that issue if you really want your tires to last longer and wear more evenly. I believe SBC and Stillen make kits for our cars so that you can fix that tire wear issues or so you can have a more widespread range of camber adjustment should you desire to go with an extreme setup for a racing application.
What is wrong with my car if the front left tire inner camber is wearing out more the tire than the right tire?

Old 07-28-2009, 10:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm totally not impressed with my Nitto Invo's. Well, not totally unimpressed. The traction is great and the noise is almost non-existant, but the wear SUCKS! My fronts look almost brand new, I've gone through almost my second set of rears and the front still have over 60% tread left.

I put on a set of rears 3000 miles ago, 2500miles was highway driving and 500 miles was city driving. The rears are about 1mm away from the treadwear indicators. WTF!

$600 bux for a set of rears that only last maybe 4000 miles??!!

What is wrong with my car? The wear isn't uneven, or atleast very little.. the inside of the rears are a little better than the outside.

Are the Nitto's just that bad? or is something wrong with my G? And "no" I don't do burnouts, drive over the speed limits or race my car..

I'm looking at replacing these tires with the michelin A/S tires that have a 50k warranty, but I want to make sure nothing is wrong with my car before i potentially tear through another set of rears..

I have an 05 Coupe with the 19's.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by Grevving6
What is wrong with my car if the front left tire inner camber is wearing out more the tire than the right tire?
Maybe your front tires have different PSI. But you'll need to get an alignment ASAP to prevent uneven wear. Are you running stock or dropped? If you dropped more than an inch, you'll need a camber kit to fix this problem but camber kit for the fronts cost way more than camber kit for the rears. If you drop an inch or less, uneven wear is not that bad.

Im running Michellin PS A/S Plus, everything is good. They are great tires, worth the money.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by nismoz
Maybe your front tires have different PSI. But you'll need to get an alignment ASAP to prevent uneven wear. Are you running stock or dropped? If you dropped more than an inch, you'll need a camber kit to fix this problem but camber kit for the fronts cost way more than camber kit for the rears. If you drop an inch or less, uneven wear is not that bad.

Im running Michellin PS A/S Plus, everything is good. They are great tires, worth the money.
All stock. OEM 19 rays. ...I keep getting alignments, but for some reason it still does the same thing of going to the right. Car is driving me crazy.

**I have an 05 Coupe 6MT Sport Suspension All packages on 19inch OEM RAYS. ALL STOCK except z tube & filter.

My question is that my front tires are wearing out more than the rears. My front inner camber on the left tire is worst than the right tire. The right tire is fine. Its just the front though the rears seem to be wearing evenly.

**I had a conversation with Tony at Riverside Infiniti and he stated that if i add camber kits to fix this, it will not solve anything because it will just set it back to stock........DOES THIS MEAN I AM STUCK WITH NEGATIVE CAMBER ON 1 WHEEL FOREVER ON THIS CAR?

Last edited by Grevving6; 07-28-2009 at 05:48 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:01 AM
^ the only reason I can think of is that your rear tire life is higher than your front tire life. Like if you have Michellin PS A/S Plus on your rears and Michellin PS A/S on your fronts. Then the fronts will wear out faster since the tread life is lower than the rears.

I've seen front left tire is worst than right tire. I think it is caused by different PSI. And left side is driver's side, and it can be caused by driver's weight no matter how weigh the driver is.
But when it comes to uneven wear on front tires when your car is not dropped. Maybe your car was involved in an accident in the past. If Carfax is clean, bring the car to have someone check it.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:14 AM
^ the only reason I can think of is that your rear tire life is higher than your front tire life. Like if you have Michellin PS A/S Plus on your rears and Michellin PS A/S on your fronts. Then the fronts will wear out faster since the tread life is lower than the rears.

I've seen front left tire is worst than right tire. I think it is caused by different PSI. And left side is driver's side, and it can be caused by driver's weight no matter how weigh the driver is.
But when it comes to uneven wear on front tires when your car is not dropped. Maybe your car was involved in an accident in the past. If Carfax is clean, bring the car to have someone check it.
Same tire on all 4....Toyo T1R. Stock set up on 19's. 280 tread rating.
225/40R19 front
245/40R19

Clean car fax. NO accidents, dealership verified before purchase.

Old 07-30-2009, 04:25 AM
Well, I have to say Carfax sucks. It will not tell you everything about the car. Most minor accidents will not be reported to Carfax. That is why members on this forum dont trust Carfax. Dealers love Carfax because most of the cars have clean title. When it is clean, it means no record of accidents or incidents. But no record does not mean the car has never been involved in accidents. The best way is to bring the car to someone who has experience. But that is a little off the topic. Like I said, driver's weight can cause the left tire to wear out faster than right tire. But I cant see why your front tires wear out unevenly since your car has stock suspension. If you already talked to Tony, and he stated that a camber kit can set your wheels back to normal. Then why dont you go with a camber kit. I know front camber kit is expensive but it can prevent uneven wear or at least it can minimize the problem and save you lots of money that you spend on tires.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:25 AM
Well, I have to say Carfax sucks. It will not tell you everything about the car. Most minor accidents will not be reported to Carfax. That is why members on this forum dont trust Carfax. Dealers love Carfax because most of the cars have clean title. When it is clean, it means no record of accidents or incidents. But no record does not mean the car has never been involved in accidents. The best way is to bring the car to someone who has experience. But that is a little off the topic. Like I said, driver's weight can cause the left tire to wear out faster than right tire. But I cant see why your front tires wear out unevenly since your car has stock suspension. If you already talked to Tony, and he stated that a camber kit can set your wheels back to normal. Then why dont you go with a camber kit. I know front camber kit is expensive but it can prevent uneven wear or at least it can minimize the problem and save you lots of money that you spend on tires.
Tony stated that a camber kit would NOT help my car at all because he said that is how the car is made...He said that if i lowered my car or did something to the suspension, it would take it the negative or positive camber back to normal which is stock. Still causing me the same problems that i have now...He basically said that there is NO FIX FOR MY PROBLEM. That is why i made a discussion here to verify this.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:40 AM
Specs:
235/30 ZR20 (front)
275/20 ZR20 (rear)
Toyos T1R 97Y
Car is dropped 1 inch with lowering springs, no camber kits.

Issue:
The rear tires are wearing fast, however toyos lasted me 20K miles so they're decent tires.

Partyman66 said that the earlier coupes did not have the ability of changing camber (mine is 06 5AT with sport supension...)
So does that mean that later coupes you can adjust the camber without buying AM kits?
I'm so negative you can tell right away when you look at the car, possibly 1+ degrees.

let me know before I spend 400$ on a kit and 600$ on a pair of rear toyos

Thanks

Old 08-01-2009, 04:51 AM
Originally Posted by mammeor
Specs:
235/30 ZR20 (front)
275/20 ZR20 (rear)
Toyos T1R 97Y
Car is dropped 1 inch with lowering springs, no camber kits.

Issue:
The rear tires are wearing fast, however toyos lasted me 20K miles so they're decent tires.

Partyman66 said that the earlier coupes did not have the ability of changing camber (mine is 06 5AT with sport supension...)
So does that mean that later coupes you can adjust the camber without buying AM kits?
I'm so negative you can tell right away when you look at the car, possibly 1+ degrees.

let me know before I spend 400$ on a kit and 600$ on a pair of rear toyos

Thanks
How r u negative with positive camber?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 Coupe Tire Wear