Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Ride Quality with Tein basics?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 03:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ride Quality with Tein basics?!

I was just about set on tein basics when i talked to my friend last night. He's one of those Know-it-all types with cars. He thinks that he know everything there is to know about driving, modding, cars, ect... even tho ive found out a lot of things reading and researching that he told me differently on (lots of driving techniques especially). Well he was saying he's gonna get new springs on his new m3 and slam the [censored] out of it and i said that i was gonna do the same but that i was gonna get coilovers because the basics have really high spring rates and are adjustable so that if i get a drop and camber and throw all this money into suspension.... i can change the drop if im not 100% happy with it, and they will also improve the over suspension stiffness of my car. Well he's really competitive about cars (always one to want to have a faster/better/nicer car than other people even tho he wont admit it and constantly argues otherwise), and he freaked out and told me not to do it. He said i should just get springs. I told him that people said that all 4 corners wont settle at exactly the same height (ive read this on here from a lot of people) and also the spring rates dont increase with springs so the suspension isnt really THAT improved.... its just lower. He kinda argued with me without arguing (i didnt say anything back cause its a lost cause in these situations) and told me that i was going ot be extreamly unhappy with it. He told me about his friend's 240 that had 2500 suspension and it was stiff as [censored] and was the most horrible ride. He pretty much told me that my dad wasnt going to like the ride quality and was going to be mad at me if i did it. The G already has a really uncomortable ride above 70 mph ive noticed (i dont mind it really because i like being able to feel the road). what do u guys think? Would the basics be TOO stiff? Arent the spring rates like 512 or something front and rear? and i cant remember stock... maybe 320/300 or something.... I'm doing this for ride height and to gain some handling. I also want to get rid of the terrible understear that i get in turns. I have a '93 suburban that i feel as comfortable taking around turns as my g at the same speeds with more ease because it has a more neutral feeling and doesnt feel like its going to roll over on me.... i know that sounds far fetched but i have actually done the same sets of twisties at speeds that i felt comfortable at and each time i took them only slightly faster in my g than in the 195k miles suburban with old tires horrible brakes and about 6 inches of play int he steering wheel before the wheels even respond to the movement of the steering.... i am going to get adjustable sways to get achieve the feeling that i want out of my steering response... but im getting htose after the basics (if im still getting the basics). and i was just wondering.... will these mods help skidpad numbers or is it just a differnt feel that i will experience when driving? I was kind of wondering. my tires will be wider (19x8.5 and 19x9.5), the ride will be about an inch and a half lower, the spring rates a lot higher, and my sways will be a lot stiffer.... will this equal performance that CAN be measured? (not that i would ever do this)

2004 Black on Black g coupe 6spd.... aluminum pedals, clear corners, z tube, and pop charger. soon to have 19" volk gt-c's and PIAA xtreme whites in the clearance and corners
Houston Texas