Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Low offset stance VS regular stance debate

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 02:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running stretched tires is a very stupid idea. First of all, it will increase the chance of curb rashing your wheels or even bending your wheels. Your wheels can get curbed and bent really easy, even when you are backing up from your driveway to the street. A little off the driveway is enough to get your wheels curbed. Second, it will reduce the performance of the car. Third, it is not safe to have stretched tires. And many more negative things from running stretched tires. Think about vans and trucks with stuck out wheels/tires and those wheels/tires are really small. I cant see any benefits from running these small a$$ wheels/tires. Maybe those stupid a$$ want to bring up the mileage of their cars really fast and spend the money on gas just like they spend money on water. This is the best example for running stretched tires, because none of these has benefits, only negative

Old 07-26-2009, 06:54 AM
^hmmmm...interesting.

you get all those wonderful ideas from a tree?

daily driven (12k miles in 8 months so far with setup), backed out of every damn driveway, short inclined, crazy inclined...and my rims are NEVER NEVER brush my fenders or the pavement. NOT even one single curb, rash, bent or chip.

pushed to the limit 140+ , ran over ever damn pothole in LA, and NOT a single bent. normal tire wear, never did an alignment since the day i bought it new.

im gonna leave you to do more research on your own in terms of performance.

and no im not that great of a driver.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:46 PM
^ lol. Im not going to argue. But from your first pic, im sure that you drive like a grandma. Why? You know the answer. Well, in term of performance, I do not need to do any research, take a look at first page at what redlude97 said. And many other people on this forum have same idea.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:00 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Let's not have this argument all over again.

lovemyg88 is mostly correct in his post, your chances of curbage are higher, bending a wheel are higher, and performance is certainly compromised. Where he's wrong is saying it's a stupid idea and that it's not safe. It's only stupid if you want real performance, or aren't a careful driver like Monster clearly is. And it's only unsafe if you drive stupidly, but driving stupidly brings into play a whole host of factors. Other than that, it's strictly personal preference.

lovemyg88, if you don't like it, that's fine. But Monster has shown it's not a stupid way to go, you just have to be more careful.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:59 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
+1, this isn't a discussion about whether stretching is stupid or not, there many things we do for aesthetics and not necessarily performance. Most people who lower their cars are sacrificing performance for looks, since most of the aftermarket springs are softer than the stock springs.I have problem with people doing mods for a look, as long as they acknowledge the drawbacks of their choices and aren't delusional about the added risks

Old 07-26-2009, 03:55 PM
Received 535 Likes on 296 Posts
Originally Posted by lovemyg88
^ lol. Im not going to argue. But from your first pic, im sure that you drive like a grandma. Why? You know the answer. Well, in term of performance, I do not need to do any research, take a look at first page at what redlude97 said. And many other people on this forum have same idea.
uhm..

Originally Posted by Cookie Monster
pushed to the limit 140+ , ran over ever damn pothole in LA, and NOT a single bent. normal tire wear, never did an alignment since the day i bought it new.
reading > you

Old 07-26-2009, 04:13 PM
I'm about the perfect balance of performance and stance, so I'm for both of these styles personally. But I just see a trend of performance guys seemingly always bashing the stance guys even though their rides don't really compare looks wise with their lightweight tucked, overly small performance oriented wheels...etc...

I don't know, I didn't mean to start a flame/opinion war between some of the guys here, but from what I've seen most if not all guys who run aggressive setups know that they're sacrificing performance and increasing risks, but the general idea is their stance and overall look is is nicer looking than guys running slightly tucked wheels and reasonable ride heights. And I say that because every aggressive setup I see, I notice so many compliments on the stance and how good the car looks. I barely see these same compliments for the performance oriented guys.

I'm not saying stance owns performance or vice versa now, I'm just going by what I've been seeing on this and a lot of other forums, and I mean everyone no matter what car you drive would generally agree to say the best visual mod you can do for your car is lower it and slap on some wheels. And it's like performance guys completely disregard this opinion and pretend it doesn't exits sometimes, especially when in a debate with a stance dude.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I would agree with the performance argument but if we are all honest with ourselves, when will we ever use the performance "gains"? Maybe when making a left on Main St, I might gain half a second on my commute to work...YES!

And if you have to worry about curbing your rims, you should not buy rims period. Aggressive or non-aggressive.

And just becuase you have stretched tires does not mean that you are compromising the amount of sidewall height. 275/35/19 < 245/40/19 in terms of sidewall height. Therefor, chance of rims being bent is not increased by use of stretched tire.

Also, speedometer is not affected if you know what size tires to purchase.

Bottom line, lovemyg88, you're an idiot.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by heyitsalex
And just becuase you have stretched tires does not mean that you are compromising the amount of sidewall height. 275/35/19 < 245/40/19 in terms of sidewall height. Therefor, chance of rims being bent is not increased by use of stretched tire.
You need to rethink what you're saying, in terms of preventing bent wheels. Sidewall height is only one aspect. How about the contact patch and total surface area that an impact is spread across with a wider tire, as well as a wheel that has tons of neg camber vs. one that has none?

Old 07-26-2009, 11:07 PM
Originally Posted by Triple8Sol
You need to rethink what you're saying, in terms of preventing bent wheels. Sidewall height is only one aspect. How about the contact patch and total surface area that an impact is spread across with a wider tire, as well as a wheel that has tons of neg camber vs. one that has none?
Valid point. I admit I did not take that into consideration. But remember, we never drive fast enough to cause a bent rim. Remember, we all drive like "grandmas".

Old 07-26-2009, 11:25 PM
to add to that, if you drive the speed limit and are careful you shouldn't have any problems with stretched tires, it's all part of taking care of your car, yes it requires more attention but going the path of beefy tires which i assume would be more for performance requires as much attention, so either way attention not to hit a pothole and attention not to spin out and wrap your car around a pole is eventually the same

Old 07-27-2009, 12:11 AM
Originally Posted by heyitsalex
I would agree with the performance argument but if we are all honest with ourselves, when will we ever use the performance "gains"? Maybe when making a left on Main St, I might gain half a second on my commute to work...YES!

And if you have to worry about curbing your rims, you should not buy rims period. Aggressive or non-aggressive.

Also, speedometer is not affected if you know what size tires to purchase.

Bottom line, lovemyg88, you're an idiot.
You told me not to buy rims if I worry about curbing? Well, I dont worry about curbing because Im running wide tires and Im smart enough to protect my rims from getting curbed not like you. Money is earned by hard work, I use money wisely and I protect your money. I want to get as much money as I spent on my rims when I sell them. That is one of the reasons why I need to protect my rims. To me, running stretched tires is stupid and that is my opinion and Im not calling anyone stupid. So dont act like a b*tch and call other people stupid or idiot.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:19 AM
Originally Posted by BuckeyeInMI
Let's not have this argument all over again.

lovemyg88 is mostly correct in his post, your chances of curbage are higher, bending a wheel are higher, and performance is certainly compromised. Where he's wrong is saying it's a stupid idea and that it's not safe. It's only stupid if you want real performance, or aren't a careful driver like Monster clearly is. And it's only unsafe if you drive stupidly, but driving stupidly brings into play a whole host of factors. Other than that, it's strictly personal preference.

lovemyg88, if you don't like it, that's fine. But Monster has shown it's not a stupid way to go, you just have to be more careful.
Thanks for pointing that out. I dont understand ppl these days, they did not even read the my post correctly and posted against me just because of saying "stupid idea". They assume that the word stupid is applied to them which is not.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:40 AM
this whole curbing a wheel, yah we have all curbed our oems but we are more careful with aftermarket ones. But i don't see whats the big deal, this whole curbing your wheel thing.. if you are a terrible driver you will curb it no matter what but it's not AS big a deal as you make it out to be it's not really stupid some can handle being more careful and some can't what can you do?

Old 07-28-2009, 12:22 AM
Originally Posted by lovemyg88
You told me not to buy rims if I worry about curbing? Well, I dont worry about curbing because Im running wide tires and Im smart enough to protect my rims from getting curbed not like you. Money is earned by hard work, I use money wisely and I protect your money. I want to get as much money as I spent on my rims when I sell them. That is one of the reasons why I need to protect my rims. To me, running stretched tires is stupid and that is my opinion and Im not calling anyone stupid. So dont act like a b*tch and call other people stupid or idiot.
According to your logic, since you ride fatter tires you are free to drive without care for your rims. Just because I choose to run stretched tires does not mean that I don't protect my rims from getting curbed. The truth is, I can guarantee you that my rims are in better condition than yours assuming that what you are saying is accurate. Tire sidewall will NOT protect your rims from being curbed.

We all work hard for our money and just because I run stretch tire does not mean that I spend my money wrecklessly. Your argument on money = fail.

Not once did I get the feeling that you were calling me stupid. I am merely trying to prove to you that your comments are idiotic.

I apologize if you're getting butt hurt by me calling you an idiot, but the fact is that the argument points that you raise are invalid. Let me rephrase, your comments lovemyg88, are idiotic.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Low offset stance VS regular stance debate