Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Low offset stance VS regular stance debate

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 03:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^Not trying to get into this argument but Alex, take a look at what Triple8sol said about side walls and get some more ideas about what side walls do. From what You said, I cant see why your wheels are better condition than lovemyg's wheels. Well, maybe your wheels are new but stretched tires= curb rash, soon or later.
G88, I know what you are trying to say, but the word stupid is a little strong, I know that you are not calling any one stupid but people get you wrong. Different people have different opinion. Same word but different people interpret it different ways. G88, no need to argue anymore, help is not always appreciated.

Old 07-28-2009, 03:51 AM
Well, uhm, I did not really mean to go back to this topic and proving my points. I got an email from the forum and I went to check my inbox and I saw some interesting posts. First of all, thanks Nismoz for clearing that out. I was trying to express my opinion which I think is true but I did not expect that some people take it so seriously and they were not smart enough to think about what Im talking about or more specific, they did not get who the word is applied to. Once again, Im not talking to anyone, Im just saying randomly. So hopefully, people dont take it serious this time. You like your stretch tires, hmmm, that's fine, I dont gain anything or lose anything. It is all up to you people. But make sure, once you get your wheels curbed or bent, dont go to forum, post a topic and cry "ohhhh... my wheels are curbed just because Im running stretched tires and hit a pothole". Sorry, you deserved it and I know many people did cry when their wheels are curbed or bent

Old 07-28-2009, 11:54 AM
i.love.gold
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
this thread is full of fail

People will do what they want. Do you feel elitist by telling someone they deserve curbed wheels because of their choices? Get your nose out of the air and love our cars for their diversity in the way we mod them. Prove whatever makes you feel good about yourself.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by eurodre
to add to that, if you drive the speed limit and are careful you shouldn't have any problems with stretched tires, it's all part of taking care of your car, yes it requires more attention but going the path of beefy tires which i assume would be more for performance requires as much attention, so either way attention not to hit a pothole and attention not to spin out and wrap your car around a pole is eventually the same
Negative. Wait until you have the wheels and actually drive on the road, and you can tell people how "careful" you can be. Riding on the low profile tires are indeed easier to damage the wheels due to how close your wheels are from kissing the ground. No matter how careful one is when it comes to driving slow or protecting his or her wheels, there is a reason why some people in certain areas just cant run those kind of styles and set-ups.

Originally Posted by lovemyg88
You told me not to buy rims if I worry about curbing? Well, I dont worry about curbing because Im running wide tires and Im smart enough to protect my rims from getting curbed not like you. Money is earned by hard work, I use money wisely and I protect your money. I want to get as much money as I spent on my rims when I sell them. That is one of the reasons why I need to protect my rims. To me, running stretched tires is stupid and that is my opinion and Im not calling anyone stupid. So dont act like a b*tch and call other people stupid or idiot.
So what makes you think you can just call the ones that are running stretch tires stupid? So we run stretched tires and we are stupid because we're risking of getting our wheels damage easier? You need to get your point straight. Nobody is calling you an idiot, you're the one that earn yourself a nice flame suit by calling people with stretched tires stupid. Just because you spend big money on your wheels and you protect them, doesn't mean we are idiots for buying expensive wheels and risking to fxck them up.

Originally Posted by lovemyg88
Well, uhm, I did not really mean to go back to this topic and proving my points. I got an email from the forum and I went to check my inbox and I saw some interesting posts. First of all, thanks Nismoz for clearing that out. I was trying to express my opinion which I think is true but I did not expect that some people take it so seriously and they were not smart enough to think about what Im talking about or more specific, they did not get who the word is applied to. Once again, Im not talking to anyone, Im just saying randomly. So hopefully, people dont take it serious this time. You like your stretch tires, hmmm, that's fine, I dont gain anything or lose anything. It is all up to you people. But make sure, once you get your wheels curbed or bent, dont go to forum, post a topic and cry "ohhhh... my wheels are curbed just because Im running stretched tires and hit a pothole". Sorry, you deserved it and I know many people did cry when their wheels are curbed or bent
Um... If you don't want people to take your opinion seriously, why do you eve bother to express? If you just wanna say things randomly, why do you even bother to come back and explain yourself? People nowadays man..

Old 07-28-2009, 12:18 PM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by nismoz
^Not trying to get into this argument but Alex, take a look at what Triple8sol said about side walls and get some more ideas about what side walls do. From what You said, I cant see why your wheels are better condition than lovemyg's wheels. Well, maybe your wheels are new but stretched tires= curb rash, soon or later.
G88, I know what you are trying to say, but the word stupid is a little strong, I know that you are not calling any one stupid but people get you wrong. Different people have different opinion. Same word but different people interpret it different ways. G88, no need to argue anymore, help is not always appreciated.
Stretched tires doesn't always equate to curbed wheels sooner or later. I've seen several setups with stretched tires, and as Cookie Monster noted he's driven nearly a year with his setup and doesn't have any curbage. You are subject to curb rash even with "tractor" tires as one of my buddies would call it. If you know how to park your vehicle properly, it doesn't matter whether you have stretched or fat tires...you don't need to get THAT close to the curb anyway. One should revise the way they drive if they get that close.

Out of curiosity, I'd like to know why drifters have their wheels cambered a **** load and why they still perform well

Old 07-28-2009, 12:25 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by donpisto
Stretched tires doesn't always equate to curbed wheels sooner or later. I've seen several setups with stretched tires, and as Cookie Monster noted he's driven nearly a year with his setup and doesn't have any curbage. You are subject to curb rash even with "tractor" tires as one of my buddies would call it. If you know how to park your vehicle properly, it doesn't matter whether you have stretched or fat tires...you don't need to get THAT close to the curb anyway. One should revise the way they drive if they get that close.

Out of curiosity, I'd like to know why drifters have their wheels cambered a **** load and why they still perform well
Are you really going to use drifters as your argument for stretched tire performance?

Old 07-28-2009, 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by jlo0109
Negative. Wait until you have the wheels and actually drive on the road, and you can tell people how "careful" you can be. Riding on the low profile tires are indeed easier to damage the wheels due to how close your wheels are from kissing the ground. No matter how careful one is when it comes to driving slow or protecting his or her wheels, there is a reason why some people in certain areas just cant run those kind of styles and set-ups.
I also think the wheel itself makes a big difference. If it's a cheap(er) wheel, then you are more prone to getting a bent lip. Back when I bought my first set of wheels for my G, just to get some wheels, I had some 20" Moz wheels. They were 20 x 8.5 + 34 with 225/30's.

Here's a couple pics of what I had..didn't have a drop at the moment..funny how some people criticized for the size of the tires a year ago and today people go for it more. I actually didn't like it myself at first but it started clinging to me (not my wheel setup but the aggressive offset w/stretched tires look).

Anyway, back to my point...these wheels were not all that sturdy IMO because I bent 2 of the lips slightly because of potholes...one I was surprised with, but I was a maniac driver I guess you would say, would rarely slow down for railroad tracks, etc.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by redlude97
Are you really going to use drifters as your argument for stretched tire performance?
I'm not using it as argument for performance. I was just asking a question. I'm not in the drifting scene but a few car shows I've been to they've had drifting going on and I noticed they have cambered setups. There's gotta be a reason for it and I'm just wondering why.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:49 PM
I also think the wheel itself makes a big difference. If it's a cheap(er) wheel, then you are more prone to getting a bent lip.
Agree, there's a reason why a set of Volks cost $2500+ and a set of Ro Ja can be yours for just a tap bit more than $1000. Ever wonder why BBS or SSR wheels cost so much?

Old 07-28-2009, 12:51 PM
think about the way tyres act under loads, and the transfer of the cars weight in the corners.

its all about getting the maximum possible contact patch with the ground for the front tyres to pull you around that corner

Old 07-28-2009, 01:06 PM
I'm not using it as argument for performance. I was just asking a question. I'm not in the drifting scene but a few car shows I've been to they've had drifting going on and I noticed they have cambered setups. There's gotta be a reason for it and I'm just wondering why.
Well excessive camber certainly isn't about performance. Looks and clearance are the most likely reasons

Old 07-28-2009, 01:17 PM
Agree, there's a reason why a set of Volks cost $2500+ and a set of Ro Ja can be yours for just a tap bit more than $1000. Ever wonder why BBS or SSR wheels cost so much?
You do know the Ro_Ja r2-5 an r2-7 are made by Rays and are rebadged Gramlights right?

Old 07-28-2009, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by redlude97
You do know the Ro_Ja r2-5 an r2-7 are made by Rays and are rebadged Gramlights right?
Yes sir I do recall there is a specific one made by Rays, my apology for a bad example. For a more specific example, wheels that are made like dynasty, ruff.. Anything that could be bought for under $1500. Now, I am not saying cheap wheels are bad, but there is a reason why JDM wheels prices cost much more.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:27 PM
Received 535 Likes on 296 Posts
once again, like i said some people just can't handle being that careful, and some can

you know the risks you take before hand, you can have an aggressive setup with stretched tires but done in a smart way along with being careful, honestly when it comes down to it, like i KEEP saying some people cant handle driving slower or being more careful with their car and some can

Old 07-28-2009, 02:32 PM

Yah, true, we never want to park our cars close to a curb but the fact is that it is impossible to protect the rims from the curb. I mean we are human, and we make mistake. So no matter we are good or bad drivers, things happen. Well, that is what I have in my mind. But what I see here is that people are going into 2 different sides. 1 side with stretch tires and 1 side with wide tires. Which causes argument here, and this argument will never stop because people do what they want no matter what. And about drifters, I admit that I dont have much experience about drifting. But using drifters as an example in term of performance is not right. I would use trackers as an example. And we all know that trackers always use wide tires, smaller wheels and ... They use wide tires not because they want to protect their rims, lol, but they want to have the tread on the surface of the road as much as they can so they can perform better. This is a true performance.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Low offset stance VS regular stance debate