Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Extremely loud humming noise from tires!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 11:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Extremely loud humming noise from tires!!!

I just bought 4 used nitto extremes 235/35/19 to throw on my stern ST-8 Rims. The tires have about 50+% tread left on them, and very minimal camber wear. I'm wondering why I get this really loud humming noise from 20 mph and up, when it gets to freeway speeds its almost unbearable. Any Ideas on how I can fix the problem with out having to buy new tires?

Also I don't have any shimmy on my steering wheel so I don't think the balance is bad.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, I've got the same problem with my Michelin PS2s, its time for new fronts for me. I have this problem because my car is lowered on eibach shocks without a camber kit. I will be rectifying this little annoyance soon.

As for you, you can always try getting a roadforce tire balance. These balances are much more advanced then normal tire balancing and can even correct the effects caused by uneven wear. Read about it here: http://www.gsp9700.com/

The site has a locator feature on it so you can find a shop that performs road force balances with their equipment. Most dealerships have them. It is a little more expensive than a normal balance because it takes a bit longer. Ask for a printout to make sure that they used the hunter road force balancing machine instead of the normal ones and make sure to request it.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:47 PM
I forgot to mention I am also lowered on TIEN S-Techs

Old 08-28-2009, 12:10 AM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
My Falken FK452s do this, but mostly when im slowing down in neighborhoods and stuff. my dad and sisters fiance think its a wheel bearing, but i dont notice it if i put my 17s on..

Idk.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:17 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey roadforcing the tires does nothing for the humming noise of the tires. what roadforcing does is it measure the heavy spots of the rim and tire combo, so that you can get a better balance. if the roadforce is to high than you need to either turn the tire or replace it. As far as the humming goes you either have both or one of these happening. One the tires are cupping which mean the tire is not perfectly smooth, the tread blocks are uneven (which is caused either from lack of rotation or bad struts) and two the Nitto 555 have big tread grooves so when the air goes between the grooves they howl, the less tread they have the louder they get.
Hope this helps.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:21 AM
Lets say its the struts. Is there any other clues the car can give to hint that maybe my struts are bad?

Old 08-28-2009, 12:27 AM
It might not be your struts that caused the tires to cup if you have only had the tires on for a little while. how many mile have you had the tires for and how many miles are on your struts.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:30 AM
50k on the struts, and maybe 200+ miles on the tires, I just put them on the other day.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:38 AM
Its not YOUR struts that would have caused anything to the tires if anything it was the previous owner. I personally do not like nitto except for the NT-05. I have a lot of customer that say that these tires are a little noisy. If the tires are cupping than you can either ride it out until you next rotation and see if they still are cupped or go back and get a tire with more siping and small tread grooves
BTW why did you get such a small tire.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:41 AM
can you recommend a tire that is not expensive, has pretty decent performance, and is quiet.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:47 AM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
My Falken FK452s were quiet till i put some miles on them haha

Old 08-28-2009, 12:50 AM
The tire noise it's just the price you paid for having low profile tires and stiffer suspension. You are going to notice once you change tires that the sound will change depending on the brands but it will always be there. Do you have the same noise with the stock wheels?

Old 08-28-2009, 12:50 AM
For the price I would get the Yokohama S-drives. I had does for my car and they lasted me for 35,000 miles and still had meat on them, that is also with one track day and everyday highway no city driving. Thoes tires are great for the price. they are smooth quiet and not expensive. I would also consider getting a bigger tire. IMHO

Check out the tire > http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

NOT your size just showing the tire. You might be able to fit this size though depending on your specs and stuff....

Old 08-28-2009, 01:06 AM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Some tires as they wear get freakin' noisy. The RE050s I had on the front until recently were loud as fawk, the Falkens in rear not much better. Dunlops have a rep for being noisy too. My Toyo TPT 17s were pretty quiet...I've heard BS 760s are not too bad either.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:12 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
Originally Posted by Wannabe6MT
My Falken FK452s do this, but mostly when im slowing down in neighborhoods and stuff. my dad and sisters fiance think its a wheel bearing, but i dont notice it if i put my 17s on..

Idk.
Part of the problem is the cpe 19s--when I slow down there is a grinding noise--it happened when my tires were new too. I have 4 new rotors and hawks cermic pads, so it is not the brakes. Stock wheels don't do this and yes wannabe, most people would think it is a bearing or some ****t. It is louder and rougher, but I put up with it b/c every time I park the car and look back at the 19s, it looks so good. I'm due for new tires too, but I'm waiting as I'm hopefully going to be buying a c5corvette z06 soon as my new toy. In the meantime, I was thinking of returning my G to stock, but I just can't stand the way the stock 17s look. I may try and find some used tires...I will only be driving 5k mi per yr, so they should last long. The other 5kmi will be on the vette. The G, will go int the driveway with a cover b/c my wifey won't give up her parking spot I may put the stock muffler back on in a yr or so...IDK.

btw, if I got a c6, I would have to sell my G to get exactly what I want.....so I'm glad I'm keeping the G and getting a c5 Z.... 3.9 to 60 and 12.2 1/4 sounds fun.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Extremely loud humming noise from tires!!!