Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Hankook Ventus V12 Evo k110

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 07:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by idrive_MD
That doesnt make any sense...Treadwear ratings are very subjective as dicussed between our post. Also the treadwear ratings are not ratings that measure the tires true performance. They are rough indicators of grip and wear levels. So in all actuality you want a treadwear less than 300 when searching for summer/sport tires. So i am not sure if you are saying the number is too high or too low. For a consumer type tire, its right where it should be for a street tire. In my travels, if you want more wear resistance you go higher (typically less grip as well), if you want a more sportier tire you go lower (more grip, less duration of use).

I mean sure this isnt no OEM tire with a treadwear of 180, but this tire will perform near as well, last longer and do better in the rain and it cost substantially less. Some even argue its quieter and provides a better ride in terms of comfort.

With everything this tire offers in terms of value and performance, I think it is unrivaled in the market at the moment. Sure there are tires out there with more performance (seems Toyo T1-R owners like to chime in against this tire) and others that last longer (Kumho ECST-SPT, Falken 452, BFG KDW-2), but they all give up something in their performance (dry grip, noise levels) and some obviously cost more and even less.

I like others did my research, for me it came down to the sizes I wanted and a blend of performance/cost benefit, this was the best tire for my purposes and needs.
How do you like the sidewall stiffness of this compared to other tires you have owned? I'm fine with not having track tires for my daily but I cannot stand a gummy sidewall. This is a common complaint I've heard for these tires. Can any other owners comment as well and state what else you have used other than the Hankooks?

Thanks.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:13 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
the $50 rebate was nice too

Old 02-11-2010, 04:08 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
I have been pretty satisfied with these wheels for daily driving and for its price point.

I got 245/35/19 & 275/35/19 mounted and balanced for $772 OTD. Can't beat that for the price.

My initial feedback:

-They are quiet tires.
-They have excellent grip in wet and dry
-They do NOT give you the response/feedback as some other more expensive summer performance/max performance tires

What I mean by that is that they have more tire flex during swift movements (i.e. swaying the car side to side at higher speeds) than other tires I have used (T1R, RE050A).

But for daily driving, these tires are perfect; inexpensive (as of now...though I hear the prices have gone up), quiet, and grip well.

I have been having some really bad luck with nails though. I know it probably has nothing to do with the tire itself... still frustrating though.

I would recommended these tires for daily driven cars.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:35 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Skaterbasist
I have been pretty satisfied with these wheels for daily driving and for its price point.

I got 245/35/19 & 275/35/19 mounted and balanced for $772 OTD. Can't beat that for the price.

My initial feedback:

-They are quiet tires.
-They have excellent grip in wet and dry
-They do NOT give you the response/feedback as some other more expensive summer performance/max performance tires

What I mean by that is that they have more tire flex during swift movements (i.e. swaying the car side to side at higher speeds) than other tires I have used (T1R, RE050A).

But for daily driving, these tires are perfect; inexpensive (as of now...though I hear the prices have gone up), quiet, and grip well.

I have been having some really bad luck with nails though. I know it probably has nothing to do with the tire itself... still frustrating though.

I would recommended these tires for daily driven cars.
That's what worries me about the V12s.
I like to do a few HPDEs and have used PS2s before and was very happy with them.
It's just that I'm tired of spending mega bucks on tires;
but I also don't want to sacrifice too much of the fun factor.
If they have mushy uncommunicative sidewalls, that's a no-go for me.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:36 PM
Retired SuperMod
Ian,

They are more than capable for HPDEs. Have you read the C&D comparison of budget performance tires vs PS2's? They did well.

But... I still wouldn't recommend them for performance-oriented driving. Like C&D concluded, they don't give you the feedback compared to other tires out there. That doesn't mean they perform any less than the PS2's; just not as communicative.

IMO, it's better to have cheaper (but quality) tires for daily driving, and a set of track wheels. My plan (once I have the $$$) is to get a set of 18 inch wheels for the track along with some wide and grippy tires (i.e. Ecsta MX).

I don't know if the sidewalls have a "break-in" period or if I just got use to it, but I don't notice the sidewall flex as much as I initially did.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:10 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
^ thanks
Yeah I read the C&D comparo & they definitely stand up well in the test.
It's the "feel" component that I'm afraid I will miss.

...they're not a huge investment though, so I'll probably give them a go.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:57 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would have to say they are not the stiffest. Basically like Skater said, they're good, but they're not great. If you want something similar with a slightly higher cost, but probably still cheaper than PS2s, try the Nitto INVO. Its noted as having a very stiff sidewall for its performance bracket, while still being very streetable and trackable.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:58 PM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
To think, my first comment when i got the tires (unmounted), those sidewalls feel somewhat soft compared to the FK452s (which had reinforced sidewalls).

Although, for the record, my V12's are up to 35-6 psi and it feels rather good to me. IIRC, since it's quite a departure from the size i should be running, i'm supposed to up it to 37-8 to obtain the full load index rating of the tire. I'm just waiting for the weather to clear so i can head back to the track and get a better feel for the tire compared to the 050 and the FK452s.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:10 PM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
might pick these up next, if i can find them for cheaper than my current Yokohama S.drives

Old 02-12-2010, 07:09 AM
Just a reminder, the V12's do come with a limited road hazard warranty.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:18 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Originally Posted by soundmike
To think, my first comment when i got the tires (unmounted), those sidewalls feel somewhat soft compared to the FK452s (which had reinforced sidewalls).

Although, for the record, my V12's are up to 35-6 psi and it feels rather good to me. IIRC, since it's quite a departure from the size i should be running, i'm supposed to up it to 37-8 to obtain the full load index rating of the tire. I'm just waiting for the weather to clear so i can head back to the track and get a better feel for the tire compared to the 050 and the FK452s.
I'll be waiting for your update
The other factor that's important is how well a tire communicates the break away threshold.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:08 PM
Retired SuperMod
Originally Posted by soundmike
Just a reminder, the V12's do come with a limited road hazard warranty.
Really?!?!?! For how long? I have had a few incidents already

Old 02-12-2010, 06:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thinking about getting a pair of two. money is tight right now, damn 19's..

Old 02-12-2010, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by Skaterbasist
Really?!?!?! For how long? I have had a few incidents already
First 25% of wear

Old 02-13-2010, 12:35 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Almost every tire has a warranty, it's not just Hankook, and they're all pretty much the same.
Bridgestone RE760 Sport (my tires)
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Warran...irePageLocQty=
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 (the "standard" in the test)
Dunlop Direzza DZ101 (test winner)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hankook Ventus V12 Evo k110