Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Hankook Ventus V12 Evo k110

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 12:42 PM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
i was looking at the RE760's, decided on S.drive's instead. how do you like them?

Old 02-13-2010, 10:08 PM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by BuckeyeInMI
Almost every tire has a warranty, it's not just Hankook, and they're all pretty much the same.
Bridgestone RE760 Sport (my tires)
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Warran...irePageLocQty=
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 (the "standard" in the test)
Dunlop Direzza DZ101 (test winner)
I'm referring to Road Hazard warranty that Hankook provides for the V12's. This is something you normally pay for separately (and which you do for those you linked to above). I'm not referring to the normal manufacturer's warranty.

Old 02-14-2010, 02:21 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by SDGenius
i was looking at the RE760's, decided on S.drive's instead. how do you like them?
Love 'em. Very quiet, and plenty of grip wet or dry. I don't care what that comparison test said about them because I don't plan on taking any .9 g turns when it's wet. They won the subjective test, i.e. around town test, and were the quietest tires. I'm very happy with them.

I looked at the Hanooks and your S.Drives, but to me the Hankook brand was unproven, and I heard some not so great things about Yokohama. Plus, the tires that came on my Coupe wheels were AVS ES100's, and they were absolutely atrocious. They had some camber wear, but were unevenly worn, not just on the camber side. They had enough tread for me to run them for several months, but they were dangerously bad in wet weather, and easily the loudest tires I've ever heard. I'm certain the S.Drive was a better tire, but Yokohama was already behind the 8 ball when I went to get tires.

Old 02-14-2010, 02:41 AM
Originally Posted by soundmike
I'm referring to Road Hazard warranty that Hankook provides for the V12's. This is something you normally pay for separately (and which you do for those you linked to above). I'm not referring to the normal manufacturer's warranty.
Ah, I see. Road hazard for the first 2/32" of treadwear. A nice feature, but not a key selling point for me personally. I've never had a catastrophic tire failure in 25+ years of driving, which is all the road hazard warranty covers. It doesn't cover repairable damage, like nails or a general flat. Has to be an unrepairable tire to be covered. Kinda reminds me of Hyundai's 10 year/100K warranty. The overwhelming majority of car owners drive more than 10K per year, so the 10 year part of their warranty is practically useless. In the literally 1 in a million chance I happen to have an unrepairable tire incident in the first 2/32" of treadwear, they'll get me a new tire. Like I said, it's a nice feature, but it's practically useless.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:31 AM
It's close to 3/32", actually. And although it doesn't cover repairable damage (AFAIK, none of the road hazard warranties do, since it's technically repairable), it does cover for non-repairable damage such as nails that are on the edges or sidewall. It will even cover for blowouts should you hit something big enough to do such damage.

Normal warranties do not cover for unrepairable damages, just manufacturer's defects.

I'm not really sure what your point is with Hyundai's offering. As far as that's concerned any extended warranty that comes out cost-free to an end-user is still a rather good deal. Although most people drive 15k miles/year on average, your 100k warranty would last roughly 4 more years over a comparable 3/36 offer.

To some it's not worth anything, but to me, i've had too many unrepairable damage to tires, so this was certainly a plus in my book. I may not pay for extended warranty on anything, but when it's free i'll certainly take it. YMMV, literally.

Last edited by soundmike; 02-14-2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:58 PM
It's close to 3/32", actually.
Actually, it's exactly 2/32", per Hankook's website. http://www.hankooktireusa.com/Serv/W...m=2&ChildNum=1

I'm not really sure what your point is with Hyundai's offering. As far as that's concerned any extended warranty that comes out cost-free to an end-user is still a rather good deal. Although most people drive 15k miles/year on average, your 100k warranty would last roughly 4 more years over a comparable 3/36 offer.

To some it's not worth anything, but to me, i've had too many unrepairable damage to tires, so this was certainly a plus in my book. I may not pay for extended warranty on anything, but when it's free i'll certainly take it. YMMV, literally.
My point, which I stated twice, was that offering a warranty on something that 99.9% of owners will never need is practically useless. The extra years on Hyundai's warranty fall into that category as does the road hazard on the Hankooks. I don't know where or how you drive, but I've never had a non-repairable incident in 28 years of driving, which probably covers a good 500,000 miles (city, country, dirt track up a trail on the north side of Mt. Hood, etc.). A Hankook owner would have to have this happen (very small probability) within the first 2/32" of tread depth (shrinking the probability even further) for the warranty to come into play. It's a nice feature, but it's perceived value greatly outweighs it's actual value. If it comes in handy for you, then I'm happy you'll be getting a new tire. But that doesn't change it's overall usefulness.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:18 AM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by BuckeyeInMI
Actually, it's exactly 2/32", per Hankook's website. http://www.hankooktireusa.com/Serv/W...m=2&ChildNum=1
Per Hankooks website (same link as yours):

I guess that makes it 2.5/32" exactly (?). I think you are confusing the standard warranty stated at the beginning of the link as opposed to the road-hazard warranty stated at the end of the page of that link.

-Road Hazard Warranty

If the eligible tires are rendered unserviceable due to non-repairable road hazard during the first 25% of original tread life, it will be replaced free of charge with a comparable Hankook produced tire. Adjustment procedure is prescribed in the Owner's General Obligation section. Taxes and service charges are not included. The eligible products under Road hazard warranty are as follows:

* VENTUS Line : Sport K104, ST RH06, HR II H405, H101, S1evo K107, R-S3 Z222, R-S2 Z212, V4ES H105, RH07, V12 evo K110
* OPTIMO : H411, H417, H418, H420, H426, H725, H725A, H727
* Mileage Plus II (H725), H406, H420, P-METRIC RH03, P-METRIC RF08, P-METRIC RF10, RA23

Exclusion
A. This warranty is not applicable to original equipment tires.
B. Repairable punctures are not covered under this warranty.
C. After 25% of usable tread depth, this warranty is no longer valid.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by Skaterbasist
Per Hankooks website (same link as yours):
Thank you.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:02 AM
Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
I had S.Drives and they get terribly loud quick. I'm going to be running the Hankooks soon.