Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Impact of aftermarket swaybars.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 11:45 AM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Impact of aftermarket swaybars.

I'm looking at Stillen and Hotchkiss swaybars for my sedan. I've already got the factory Sport Tuned Suspension (which I understand to only have different springs, tires, rims; but same bars as regular suspension models).

Two questions: a) how will the swaybars affect the ride?; b) how will the swaybars affect the VDC?

2004 Sedan 5AT STS
Huper Optik Ceramic 50/Underbody Diffusers/Clear Corners/Brake Cover
GroundingGear 7 Wire/Z-Tube/Stillen High Flow Airbox/HKS Sport Exhaust/Technosquare F-Spec ECU

Old 08-18-2004, 03:27 PM
IQ9
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Impact of aftermarket swaybars.

I have had no issues with my VDC. The suspension seems to be less floaty and the understeer is nearly gone...just a touch. Helps keep my wife outta trouble as she rarely drives my car. Either bars should be good.

03.5 Sedan/B.Sil/Prem/Wntr/Aero/Tint/Rims/Hotchkis Sways--WHERE ARE OUR PARTS!
69 Chevelle Hard Top BB/4.11's/Posi

Old 08-18-2004, 04:15 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stillen is $289 mustard yellow
Hotchkis is $250 laser red

thats the only difference, IMO

04 / Black Obsidian / Graphite Leather / aero / splash / prem / perf / cc / 22%tint
z-tube / k&n drop-in / Eclipse AudioVideoNavigation 2454 / side-blinker mod

Old 08-18-2004, 04:26 PM

The Stillen bars have more adjustability than the Hotchkis do. I believe that the Stillen have 5 settings each and the Hotchkis just 3.

I've spoken with some people who have upgraded and they have all said that the difference is pronounced and noticable immediately. It's a mod I'm definitely like to do asap.

-townsley-
03 Premium BS/Willow 5ATS
ZTube/K&N Drop-in/Sport Suspension
Grounded/Tinted/Splash Guards
Lip spoiler/Aluminum Pedals

Old 08-18-2004, 04:57 PM

Actually the design of the stillen and Hotchkis are almost the same.

Each have 3 holes in the ends giving them adjustability. Stillen just came up with the idea of using one hole on one end and a different hole on the other end, making an "inbetween" setting.

The Hotchkis appears to be much stiffer than the stillen, but there is such a thing as too stiff.

Also Hotchkis comes with polyurathane bushings which many people have complained about (noisy). With the stillen, you use the factory bushings, which are very good bushings IMHO.

Finally if you look at your sway bar, you will notice a silver collar towards each end. This is to keep the bar centered under the vehicle. The stillens have this feature. Hotchkis, to my knowledge, does not! It was obviously put there for a reason and was the deciding factor in me chosing the Stillen brand.

04' Sedan 6MT Silver/Graphite/Premium/Aero/HuperOptik/XM
Z-Tube / Stillen- Sways, Airbox & Grounding Kit
19x8.5/9.5 Hiros / S-03s 245/40 & 275/35zr19
***WTB*** 04' Coupe Suspension

Old 08-18-2004, 05:01 PM
IQ9

I don't remember seeing a silver collar but I will have to look when I get home.

03.5 Sedan/B.Sil/Prem/Wntr/Aero/Tint/Rims/Hotchkis Sways--WHERE ARE OUR PARTS!
69 Chevelle Hard Top BB/4.11's/Posi

Old 08-18-2004, 07:08 PM

I just installed the Stillen bars. I am very satisfied. This is a true stealth mod...my wife would never know it's there. Even though she saw the huge box, and I explained what it was, she is still oblivious to the difference on the car. Needless to say, I can rarely get away with cornering hard with her in the car, (unless she's late for something!) But there is decidedly less body roll, and no other trade-offs that I can see. Ride seems to be unaffected.

I had them set initially with the rear a bit stiffer than the front, and I found more of a tendancy for the VDC to get involved in the rear on hard corners. If I had turned the VDC off, I'm sure I would have the tail stepping out a bit too often. So I ended up with the middle setting front and rear. This leaves the car with a perfect handling balance...a little less understeer than stock.It also leaves the grip at such a high level that it's really tough to break either end of the car loose on the road. This is a great mod to do.

04 G35s 6MT BS Aero Kit/Nav/Prem
Warning: Objects in Mirror Are Losing!

Old 08-19-2004, 01:00 AM

I just installed the Stillen bars on my sedan, which also has the 2004 350Z suspension. Very nice difference. I have the front on the middle setting and the rear on the stiffest. I'll have to wait until I get some canyon runs in before deciding if this is my final setting. I also like that these bars have the "rings" which prevent side to side movement and that they used the factory bushings. Poly bushings are fine for race cars and "bench" racers, but the squeak and higher maintenence are just not worth it. I'm talking from a lot of experience here.

Also, people have complained that the Stillen instructions are no good. Don't believe those wimps. Super easy install ( 1.5 hours by myself in 100 degree heat ) with one floor jack and two jack stands. I also used an air ratchet but the only significant time savings was in removing the front plastic belly pan.

Later

Dan
Stevenson Ranch, CA

2004 6mt Sedan: Black on Graphite.
Just splash guards and trunk mat - NO OTHER USELESS CRAP !!!

Old 08-19-2004, 01:35 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For any of you in SoCal that want the Hotchkiss swaybars, street image is having a special 300 installed on 8/28/04.

My 2004 G35

Old 08-19-2004, 01:47 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the Hotchkis sways and they are just fine. It is the best bang for the buck you can ever get for your money. It took 1 1/2 hr to install front and back. The HS comes with all the fittings you need the SS you need too buy the brace or bracket and poly bushings seperately. The only reason the HS bushings are squeeking is because people didn't put enough silicon grease on them. I have mine since last April and I have not experience any squeeking on mine. The brackets for the HS also has a good feature which the SS does not even have. It has grease fitting that you can use to regrease your bushing if it does squeek in the future. That means you don't have to disassemble anything.

The VDC will kick in if the setting is to stiff. I had my settings set at stiffest when I first installed mine. It was a bad setup because it gave the car a major understeer. So I had to adjust it softest at front and medium in the rear. I do have the S-techs on my car so this setting worked out fine for me.

As far as adjustability what the SS did with one hole being uneven with the other is not really a major feature. You can actually do the same thing with the HS. I believe this is called asymeterical adjustment where you can have the left hole set at stiffest and the right side at the softest or vice versa.

Hope this will help you in your decision goodluck.

BTW here is a pic of the Hotchkis Sways....

<font color=blue>04 CB COUPE / WILLOW / PREM PACK</font color=blue>

325701-IM000197.JPG

Old 08-19-2004, 01:49 AM

front...

325702-IM000198.JPG

Old 08-19-2004, 01:51 AM

rear...

325705-IM000200.JPG

Old 08-19-2004, 06:40 PM

I agree with glennp. I didn't explain myself well enough but the adjustability issue between the two are identical. You can stagger the holes on the Hotchkis too. They just don't tell you that as I understand it. Basically you can't go wrong with either one. I was just a little worried about the Hotchkis not having the collars.

Anyone have any info on the improtance of these???

04' Sedan 6MT Silver/Graphite/Premium/Aero/HuperOptik/XM
Z-Tube / Stillen- Sways, Airbox & Grounding Kit
19x8.5/9.5 Hiros / S-03s 245/40 & 275/35zr19
***WTB*** 04' Coupe Suspension

Old 08-19-2004, 07:11 PM

Here is a pic of the Stillen bars to chow color and the collars on the bars..

Congratulations! You have just won 1 million punches in the face!

326271-304350_f.jpeg

Old 08-19-2004, 08:56 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok, heres a good question, do the stock sways have collars on them??
if so, then it IS important! (i hope not, cause i just ordered my hotchkis and theyre arriving 2mrw!!!)

04 / Black Obsidian / Graphite Leather / aero / splash / prem / perf / cc / 22%tint
z-tube / k&n drop-in / Eclipse AudioVideoNavigation 2454 / side-blinker mod

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Impact of aftermarket swaybars.