Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Tein Flex and EDFC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 02:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tein Flex and EDFC

Looks like a number of you have this combo. I'm considering getting it myself. I was wondering if you're able to set it up using the EDFC unit so that the softness of the ride is comparable to the stock suspension? I would prefer to adjust it from as soft as stock to as stiff as needed, but I don't want to sacrifice ride quality as this is my daily driver. Thanks.

Old 09-09-2004, 01:10 PM
G Kreuzer
Re: Tein Flex and EDFC

Not a chance. Spring is fixed and 12kg/mm is 12kg/mm ... there's no way around it. Some people will tolerate this setup just fine on the softest damper rate, other will not. On the softest damper rate ... it is still leagues above the stock ride and feel.

Clint (THX723)

Old 09-09-2004, 01:20 PM

Thanks. I found some old threads that talked about this and the general consensus is the same as what you are saying, even on the softest setting, it's still much stiffer than stock. The Tein CS, on the other hand would be a good daily driver, but doesn't offer a significant performance increase over stock. However, it seems that the JDM Tein Flex is in between the CS and US Spec Flex and might be the way to go. Does anyone have the JDM Flex setup?

As a side note, if anyone is looking for the EDFC unit, www.intecracing.com (which is local to me) has it on sale, cheaper than anywhere else I've seen. (not affiliated with them, nor have I bought anything from them yet, this thread was supposed to convince me to get the Flex setup

Old 09-12-2004, 06:14 PM

Just got it done by Street Image couple weeks back, and i gotta say im lovin it. The softest setting with edfc isnt bad at all imo. If your going to get some suspension this is the best way to go. never would have to worry about height, or adjusting to the right damping rate when needed.
just my .2

Old 09-15-2004, 01:23 AM

i have to agree with you anthony, i don't think its much different than stock on the softest settings, as everyone i take for a ride in my car will agree. you have to be careful when taking a general consensus on a forum also, as i've noticed that more than half the people making these statements are basing their opinions on what they've heard, not because they actually have this particular setup (no offense to those who do have this setup or have driven a G with this setup). my advice: Never ask a blindman where to go sightseeing. good luck in your decision.

04 DG/G/6MT/Premium/Nav/Clear Bra
Bone Stock...to be continued...
"You kill mah brodah, now I kill you!" - some old kung-fu flick

Old 09-15-2004, 01:41 AM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Poster: THX723
Subject: Re: Tein Flex and EDFC

Not a chance. Spring is fixed and 12kg/mm is 12kg/mm ... there's no way around it. Some people will tolerate this setup just fine on the softest damper rate, other will not. On the softest damper rate ... it is still leagues above the stock ride and feel.

<hr></blockquote>

Clint does own the Tein flex, his comments are first hand.

Adding to his comments, Tein, the company that makes the product, will tell you the exact same thing. They do not do not aggree that the ride quality is like oem. When told some flex owners claim the ride is like oem, this was the tech's responce "Your kidding right, I've driven the developement car, it's way stiffer, you can't increase spring rates like that and have the same ride quality" Fact is, you cannot escape the simply physics of employing a dramatically increased spring rate and pay no price for that. We are talking about a car that has springs that are 114% stiffer then oem. Simply does not come with the realm of subjective opinion. And, the most the flex will reduce dampning control is by 112lbs of spring rate at the absolute lowest setting, still leaves a 672lbs spring rate at all 4 corners that is being dampned at a 560lbs rate. Now the Tein CS, which use's spring rates that are only 25% stiffer then oem and dampners specifically valved for comfort, having a oem like ride quality is within the realm of possibility.

"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

G35 6mt

Old 09-15-2004, 02:36 AM

Very well said GSedan35. Simple physics will say that a car with a 600+ lb/in spring rate will ride much stiffer than that said car with a 300+ lb/in spring rate. There is no subjectiveness about that, plain and simple.

04' G35S 6MT Ivory Pearl, Willow, Premium
Z-Tube / NFC Y-Pipe / Custom Mid-Pipe / 350 EVO Rear Sway/ '03 350Z Shocks and Springs

Trending Topics

Old 09-15-2004, 02:17 PM

and the representative from Volk racing told me that 9.5" rims on the front will simply not work on my car and that is why everyone is running 8.5''s. 9.5"s later i have yet to have any issues watsoever with the fronts or the 10.5" rears and my car is dropped 1.5"s front, 1" rear. The guy said "you will rub or have to alter your fenders, and thats on a stock ride." i'm not doubting the spring rates/physics point of view you have, without a doubt you cannot avoid physics. but the feel that you get when you are driving is purely subjective, like clint said, some will tolerate it, some will not, this is agreed, i happen to be on the side of the fence that can tolerate it. i have to admit, the suspension i have feels a bit tighter than stock, but to me it isn't enough that i'm cringing on every little bump in the road like in my previous cars. i guess the bushings may have something to do with absorbing some of the shock, or maybe that the car doesnt rattle as much as previous cars, beats me. in any event, i guess in the end just buy and test, if you do not like it, there's always e-bay, hehehe.

04 DG/G/6MT/Premium/Nav/Clear Bra
Bone Stock...to be continued...
"You kill mah brodah, now I kill you!" - some old kung-fu flick

Old 09-15-2004, 02:52 PM

I can only conclude that some people are more sensitive to the differences than others. So this means I need to find someone local with the Flex setup to see if it's to my liking. Anyone in the Seattle area?

Old 09-16-2004, 04:56 PM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G

what camber in the rear and front did you go with? What about toe for both?

2 G or not 2 G, there's no question!