Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

STOTECHs are finally in :)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 02:08 PM
G Kreuzer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: STOTECHs are finally in :)

No worries w. the jacking.

Unfortunately, there's no other way to properly bed the pads. It is impossible to do so until the material reach operating temperature to allow a uniform film to be transfered onto the rotor.

Typically, I go out and have this done late at night ... clear of traffic. Quick bursts to 80mph then back down to 20mph shouldn't attract too much attention. Use your own better judgement wrt road condition and the surrounding of course.

You will like the GT-spec pads very much. They should fair very well for your first outting. I believe the VR rears will be available in a couple of months.

Clint (THX723)

Old 10-05-2004, 02:20 PM
G Kreuzer

Brian,
PM sent.

To quickly sum it up. The Advan wheels are superb. Very strong, relatively light and immaculate when it comes to fit and finish. Luv em! Don't forget to buy the center caps too ... yes they are extra

Clint (THX723)

Old 10-05-2004, 02:27 PM

One last question: after you bed them in say the night before, how much less braking power do you have on the way to the track with the race pads on the street? Is the difference in stopping ability very noticeable?

Old 10-05-2004, 05:29 PM
G Kreuzer

You will experience brake fade during the bedding procedure (a sign that it performed correctly), but definitely not after it's been allowed to cool down and settle in. With respect to brake performance post bedding and cool down (i.e. on the way to the track), it all depends on the pad compound. Some aggressive race compounds do not work well at low temperature, while others will.

I was told to be cautious with the VR's cold performance on the street before they heat up. I didn't find the braking power particularly lacking on the way to the track, however. Certainly, they do work 10x better once optimal temperature is reached, but I never did I feel like ending up underneath a 16-wheeler. As for the GT-specs, I suspect they won't be of any issue for you. Their operating temperature is much lower than the VRs. My advice is try them out on the street before hitting the hwy.

One other thing you should be aware of. Once properly bedded in, you ought to avoid using them lightly (in most street condition). Use engine braking as much as possible and if you must brake ... get on it hard. Use them lightly or worse, feathering, will only ruin your bed work. It is possible to glaze and/or leaving uneven deposites on the rotor. This is more so if an aggressive race compound (like the VR) was used.

Clint (THX723)

Old 10-05-2004, 06:25 PM

shoot, clint. Sounds like I should just order another set of rotors for the track and change them both out so I don't have to worry about tickets, uneven deposits, etc., LOL.

The $ and the things we do to track, eh?

Old 10-05-2004, 06:47 PM
G Kreuzer

Gosh, that would be way to go if you've got the cash. In fact, you can then save the Stopech Rotors (new for the G Brembos, front & rear) for track use only.

That would be very sweet!

Clint (THX723)

Old 10-05-2004, 07:27 PM

I was just thinking out loud. I don't even want to know how much another set of rotors would run for my Endless front kit.

I am planning on getting the stoptech slotted 2 pc rotors next season though to match the slots up front. However, I'd keep them on for the street just for the bling factor.

I think I'll be swapping out the pads in the front but keeping the gt sports along with the stoptechs in the rears full time.

I just can't justify more $ than what I've spent already on brakes for ~5 track events a year.

Old 10-06-2004, 10:07 AM

When you tracked your car, did the rear pads wear more than fronts (like the stock brakes do)? I was wondering if the Stoptechs took out sufficient rear bias that I could get away with the Big Brake kit up front and just upgraded rotors/pads in the back. Thanks. Love your car.