Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

winter tire size advise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 05:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
winter tire size advise

Hi guys, I have read tons of threads regarding tire size but I still need advise. I am looking to buy 1 season used 18" BLIZZAK BRIDGESTONE WINTER TIRES with TSW Rims. The only concern is tire size. My stock are 245/45/18 and 225/45/18. The ones that I plan to purchace are P225/40R18LM-25 92V and
P225/45R18LM-25 95V.
I am looking for comments or advise from experts if this setup will work for my stock 2004 coupe
Thanks guys

Old 10-30-2010, 11:40 PM
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
The tires are way too small. They will work, however your speedo will be off (who cares) + your VDC won't like such a large percentage diff between the two tires. It might treat it as slip @ very high speeds. Someone w/ actual experience should chime in also.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:37 PM
thanks, does anyone else have this setup?

Old 10-31-2010, 04:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi, I run 225/50/17 front and 225/55/17 in the rear. This setup has worked the best for me and I love it. I have Hankook w409 and 17 inch ASA rims that I got locally. If you have brembos and are looking to go to 17s (I like it for the affordability and traction) you better check your offset and make sure it will clear them first. I had this problem and it took me a while to find the right wheels. I'm pretty satisfied with my setup and I live in Toronto, Canada so snow is part of the winter scene here. I had no problem last year but it didn't snow as much. We will see how it handles this year but I'm pretty confident that it won't let me down. I run without VDC because I like to let the tires spin at time to get to the bottom of the slush... good luck!

Old 10-31-2010, 04:40 PM
oh plus if you are gonna go with 225/40/18 I'd advise not to because it will lower your car in the front. You don't want your car lowered in winter unless you want to plow through the snow. :S It doesn't sound like much but it does effect somewhat. At least consider this before you make the purchase. cheers!

Old 10-31-2010, 04:42 PM
Thanks akoustic, I will keep looking. I live in the GTA also and expecting alot of snow this season. If you know anyone selling tires in the GTA let me know!

Old 10-31-2010, 04:45 PM
I just bought four 245/45/18 Hankook Ice Bears. Looks awesome and still handles and drives great. The only issue with the Hankook's is the louder road noise.

Old 10-31-2010, 04:47 PM
check out kijiji and craigslist for some used rims. I got my 17" ASA rims (very typical dealership default rims) for dirt cheap. I saved a good fortune there and beautiful thing is it will clear my brembos just right. I got brand new winter tires because I've search for about a month to look for the right tires but in the end it was a better deal to buy a new set since I didn't have to settle and all with the rims and tires I did it under a grand. I will keep my eye open you. do you have brembos? if not you have a lot more options.

Old 10-31-2010, 04:51 PM
my initial setup was going to be with the ice bears and which by the is an awesome tire! and those of you that are addicted to speed (on a nice dry winter days) these tires are amazing value. I went with the w409 as I was more concerned about thicker snow and I drive pretty mild in winter so it worked out for me. I go wild in summer on my PS2s

if you have the money get Nokian tires. now these tires will get you to Artic...

Originally Posted by HauG
I just bought four 245/45/18 Hankook Ice Bears. Looks awesome and still handles and drives great. The only issue with the Hankook's is the louder road noise.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by akoustic
check out kijiji and craigslist for some used rims. I got my 17" ASA rims (very typical dealership default rims) for dirt cheap. I saved a good fortune there and beautiful thing is it will clear my brembos just right. I got brand new winter tires because I've search for about a month to look for the right tires but in the end it was a better deal to buy a new set since I didn't have to settle and all with the rims and tires I did it under a grand. I will keep my eye open you. do you have brembos? if not you have a lot more options.
Nope no brembos

Old 11-01-2010, 11:32 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i have 17' wheels too, eventhough i must say it does lower my car a lot, especially when u try to get out of steep underground parking with those not grinding to the ground is almost impossible.

hankook w409 seems reasonable in price 1010tires.com is selling for $750 for a set including shipping. do i have to have staggered or its ok to have same tire sizes for all 4 tires. any affect on my car? i really appreciate if u can explain me why yes, or why not!

Old 11-01-2010, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by musti82
i have 17' wheels too, eventhough i must say it does lower my car a lot, especially when u try to get out of steep underground parking with those not grinding to the ground is almost impossible.

hankook w409 seems reasonable in price 1010tires.com is selling for $750 for a set including shipping. do i have to have staggered or its ok to have same tire sizes for all 4 tires. any affect on my car? i really appreciate if u can explain me why yes, or why not!
No you don't need staggered. Someone correct me if i'm wrong. I'm running 17" with 225/50/17 for the front 225/55/17 for the rear. This is for a coupe setup btw and it's worked so well for me. It doesn't lower your car because you are getting higher profile tires. This is also the recommended size from Tire Rack.

I know 1010tires prices are pretty good but try to call a few local places because I got it locally and it was the same price but also included was installation. But i used 1010tires price as a reference point. Check out places like simplytire they have group buys so you can save more.

Good luck! and tell us what you decided to do.

Old 11-07-2010, 02:33 PM
Hey guys, i got a set of used tires and rims in pretty good condition that match my setup, 225/50/17 front and 225/55/17 rear. As far as I know, bolt pattern is 114.3, same as on my stock wheels. However when I was putting those wheels on, I found that I could move the wheel from side to side a little bit before tightening the bolds. After tightening the bolts they seemed pretty stable, however. I am just wondering if this clearance is expected, since my stock wheels sat pretty tight even after removing the bolts

Thanks

Old 11-08-2010, 04:24 PM
Hi Krypton, glad you got your self a set.

I think if the nuts were torqued to a proper measurements and have no play afterward I think you are good to go. I'm sure someone would pick up on this if I'm wrong. LOL

Old 11-08-2010, 04:24 PM
By the way which tires did you get?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: winter tire size advise