Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

What is static balancing?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 07:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is static balancing?

I put new Kuhmo Ecsta ASX's on my coupe, and now I have slight vibrations at 55+ mph. I took the car back to the installer, and he re-balanced the fronts, but now it vibrates at 60+ mph. I called the shop, and now the guy wants to take off the sticky tape weights and "static balance." What is this, and will it help? Any thoughts. I have a stock 17's on a '04 coupe. I hope I didn't get crappy tires, and I'm out of luck.

Scott

Old 07-31-2005, 07:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
take it to a shop that has a hunter roadforce balancer.

Old 07-31-2005, 07:40 PM
Never enough
Static is the worst. They will spin the wheel on the balancer and center the weights. A lot of shops do this on BIG wheels, like mud tires. Road force is the BEST. I would call around and find a shop that has one.

Old 07-31-2005, 09:00 PM
static balance is the worst. the balancer basically just balances the tire and wheel as if it were still, it does not take into account that it's going to be spinning. it's ok on 15"-16" wheels but anything bigger and it's pretty bad. roadforce is the best.

Old 08-01-2005, 12:10 AM
Thanks for the info. I'll let this guy try one more time since it is free. If what ever he does doesn't work, I'll look for a shop with the Roadforce balancer and give it a shot.

Scott

Old 08-02-2005, 10:21 PM
I decided not to let the shop that has tried 2 times to balance my tires do the static balance thing. I called my Infiniti dealer to set an appointment to fix a clicking in the right rear, so I will let them do the balancing. They do have the above mentioned Hunter balancer. Hope it all works out, and I will update you all when I get my ride back.

Old 08-02-2005, 10:45 PM
That's a wise choice. good luck on that clicking and balance.

Old 08-03-2005, 10:53 AM

A static balance only balances one plane of the assembly.

A dynamic balance works on both planes of the assembly.

Not being 100% familiar with the stock G wheels, I have to ask a question.
Is there a lip for a weight on the inside of the wheel? If so, a clip/tape would be the best balance, regardless if you're having them ridematched or not.

If there is not a lip, a static balance might be the best bet, depending on the width of the balancing area (Barrel of wheel). If you have the 2 planes of tape weight too close together or they are 180 degrees from each other, you will get into a counterbalance situation.

While the Hunter GSP9700 is the BEST balancer on the market, it is only as good as the training that the operator has.

Old 08-03-2005, 11:48 PM
Originally Posted by Chris@DTD

A static balance only balances one plane of the assembly.

A dynamic balance works on both planes of the assembly.

Not being 100% familiar with the stock G wheels, I have to ask a question.
Is there a lip for a weight on the inside of the wheel? If so, a clip/tape would be the best balance, regardless if you're having them ridematched or not.

If there is not a lip, a static balance might be the best bet, depending on the width of the balancing area (Barrel of wheel). If you have the 2 planes of tape weight too close together or they are 180 degrees from each other, you will get into a counterbalance situation.

While the Hunter GSP9700 is the BEST balancer on the market, it is only as good as the training that the operator has.
Thanks for the info. Yes the stock wheels have a lip on the inside. The shop that has tried to balance them twice now has used weights with sticky tape to hold them on.
I left my car at the dealer tonight, and will pick it up tomorrow so we'll see how good they do on the balancing.
The dealer loaned me a G35 sedan, and all I can say is I'm glad I got the coupe. I don't like the seats in the sedan.

Scott

Old 08-04-2005, 12:13 AM
Don't even BOTHER with static balancing. Its crap.

I got new wheels and tires on my G, and they put them on with static balancing. I had terrible steering wheel vibration, and the rear wheels would wobble like hell on sharp turns. Very dangerous. Anything over 45 was noticeable, anything over 60 was an annoyance, and anything over 70-80 was absolutely dangerous. They tried rebalancing it again at no charge, yet still no improvment.

Headed down to STS, and for $12.50 a wheel, got them high speed Hunter balanced, and absolutely NO vibration problems anymore! Looks like its too late, an Infiniti dealer is going to charge you an arm and a leg, and might even tell you you need an allignment.. But hey, atleast its almost deffinite that it will be fixed.

I can't wait to make that angry phone call to the first tire shop that I went to to blow off some steam for the BS I was put through..

Last edited by heeb; 08-04-2005 at 12:26 AM.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by heeb
Don't even BOTHER with static balancing. Its crap.

I got new wheels and tires on my G, and they put them on with static balancing. I had terrible steering wheel vibration, and the rear wheels would wobble like hell on sharp turns. Very dangerous. Anything over 45 was noticeable, anything over 60 was an annoyance, and anything over 70-80 was absolutely dangerous. They tried rebalancing it again at no charge, yet still no improvment.

Headed down to STS, and for $12.50 a wheel, got them high speed Hunter balanced, and absolutely NO vibration problems anymore! Looks like its too late, an Infiniti dealer is going to charge you an arm and a leg, and might even tell you you need an allignment.. But hey, atleast its almost deffinite that it will be fixed.

I can't wait to make that angry phone call to the first tire shop that I went to to blow off some steam for the BS I was put through..
I picked up my car today from Infiniti. They didn't fix the clicking sound because the parts are on backorder, so I'll have to take the car back again when the parts come in.
The Hunter balancing didn't work! I still feel slight vibrations at speeds over 55 mph. I'm really bummed as my new tires feel worse than my old (bald) Goodyears. Now the tires have been balanced 3 times and once on the Hunter balancer. Not sure what I'll do now. Even with the vibrations, it still beats the hell out of driving the coupe they loaned me. No offense coupe owners.

Old 08-05-2005, 09:40 PM
You have a defective tire.