Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

buying a "torque wrench" for wheel nut, 3/8 or 1/2?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 05:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
buying a "torque wrench" for wheel nut, 3/8 or 1/2?

as title says, will mainly be used for wheel lugnuts.

What do you sugest?

Old 08-11-2005, 05:29 PM
Definately go with a 1/2 inch. Also, make sure that you get one that clicks rather than the needle.

Old 08-11-2005, 05:38 PM
Devil's Advocate
Yeah get the half inch it'll be worth it in the long run.

Old 08-11-2005, 05:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
1/2" Clicker is best. Go to Boston Industrial Tools on the web. very fast, very inexpensive, pretty good quality.

Old 08-11-2005, 06:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1/2"

Old 08-11-2005, 06:35 PM
well, i guess it's gona be a 1/2 clicker!!!

thanks!!

Old 08-12-2005, 03:18 PM
I agree with the others. Go with a 1/2 inch. I bought both a 1/2 inch and 3/8 from Harbor Freight and like them both. They are on sale right now, $9.99 for the half inch and $7.50 for the 3/8.

I can't believe the prices. I paid $20 for the 1/2 at Harbor Freight two years ago. I use the crap out of them and have been pleased with the quality. At those prices, I should go buy 2 more for backups

http://www.harborfreight.com/

Old 08-12-2005, 03:48 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
I just thought I would add a couple of things about the use and care of torque wrenches. If you follow these tips your torque wrench should stay within spec for many years.
I copied and pasted this from a thread I answered a few months back.

Torque wrenches also require care. These are precautions for click-type torque wrenches , which I prefer.
If you can, store them in a dry place at room temperature.
Always return a torque wrench to it's lowest setting when you are finished using it, but not go below that , this will prevent the internal springs from taking a set and cause erroneous readings. If you go to use a torque wrench and it is was stored with it's adjustment at it's higher settings then crank it back down to the lower setting (as above) and set it aside for at least 4 hours, to let the springs relax.
Always torque multiple bolted items in the proper torque sequence, and take the fastener up to the specified torque in three steps.
It is best to use a torque wrench for settings in 20 to 80% of it's range.

I only have 2 click-type torque wrenches for my home use(I used to have at least 6 different torque wrenches at work).
I have a 1/2" drive torque wrench with range from 10 to 150 ft.lbs.
I have a 3/8" drive torque wrench with range from 5 to 80 ft.lbs
These 2 will do most the jobs around home on the car and the boat.

Sorry if I rambled on, just trying to answer a few questions I have seen on here. ( Just thought I would mention one of my jobs before I retired was inspecting, repairing and calibrating torque wrenches for use at a nuclear plant)
Hope this helps a bit.
Oh, and I agree with the others get a 1/2" drive click-type torque wrench for tightening your lug nuts. (torque to 80 ft-Lbs on my G)
Wayne

Last edited by GEE35FX; 08-12-2005 at 03:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
VictoriousG (06-29-2011)
Old 08-12-2005, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by GEE35X
I just thought I would add a couple of things about the use and care of torque wrenches. If you follow these tips your torque wrench should stay within spec for many years.
I copied and pasted this from a thread I answered a few months back.

Torque wrenches also require care. These are precautions for click-type torque wrenches , which I prefer.
If you can, store them in a dry place at room temperature.
Always return a torque wrench to it's lowest setting when you are finished using it, but not go below that , this will prevent the internal springs from taking a set and cause erroneous readings. If you go to use a torque wrench and it is was stored with it's adjustment at it's higher settings then crank it back down to the lower setting (as above) and set it aside for at least 4 hours, to let the springs relax.
Always torque multiple bolted items in the proper torque sequence, and take the fastener up to the specified torque in three steps.
It is best to use a torque wrench for settings in 20 to 80% of it's range.

I only have 2 click-type torque wrenches for my home use(I used to have at least 6 different torque wrenches at work).
I have a 1/2" drive torque wrench with range from 10 to 150 ft.lbs.
I have a 3/8" drive torque wrench with range from 5 to 80 ft.lbs
These 2 will do most the jobs around home on the car and the boat.

Sorry if I rambled on, just trying to answer a few questions I have seen on here. ( Just thought I would mention one of my jobs before I retired was inspecting, repairing and calibrating torque wrenches for use at a nuclear plant)
Hope this helps a bit.
Oh, and I agree with the others get a 1/2" drive click-type torque wrench for tightening your lug nuts. (torque to 80 ft-Lbs on my G)
Wayne
Great info Wayne. But how can it be they cost $7 to $9???

I asked my wheel guy how much his was and he said around $150? Am I missing something? or are we talking about a different torque wrench?

Old 08-12-2005, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by Chico
Great info Wayne. But how can it be they cost $7 to $9???

I asked my wheel guy how much his was and he said around $150? Am I missing something? or are we talking about a different torque wrench?
I can't understand that price either Chico. I don't know how an accurate piece of equipment can be produced so cheaply. I wonder if they come with quality control sheets and proof of accuracy when you purchase them.
The best buy I have seen for light duty use is at our Crappy Tire Stores. They have them on sale a couple of times a year for under $80 each. I have checked the calibration of these after use and they seem to hold up quite well for home use. Sears have craftsman click-type torque wrenches that would be good also, and I have seen them on sale. If you purchase Snap-on or a big name like that similar to what I used at work, you pay 3 or 4 times the price.
Your wheel guy is right about paying the higher price for a quality tool for heavier usage.
Wayne

Old 08-12-2005, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by GEE35X
I can't understand that price either Chico. I don't know how an accurate piece of equipment can be produced so cheaply. I wonder if they come with quality control sheets and proof of accuracy when you purchase them.
The best buy I have seen for light duty use is at our Crappy Tire Stores. They have them on sale a couple of times a year for under $80 each. I have checked the calibration of these after use and they seem to hold up quite well for home use. Sears have craftsman click-type torque wrenches that would be good also, and I have seen them on sale. If you purchase Snap-on or a big name like that similar to what I used at work, you pay 3 or 4 times the price.
Your wheel guy is right about paying the higher price for a quality tool for heavier usage.
Wayne
So which one do you recommend? 'cause they all look the same to me. I'd like to get one too but not sure what to get.

Old 08-12-2005, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by Chico
So which one do you recommend? 'cause they all look the same to me. I'd like to get one too but not sure what to get.
If you were buying one just for your use for wheels etc, then the Crappy tire click type should serve you well. I think they sell a couple of grades and I would buy the best 1/2" they have. If you were buying it for shop use commercially I would probably buy Snap-on (I was also trained to calibrate and repair Snap-On tools at a Snap-On repair and test center). I use a Canadian tire one for home that I have had for at least 15 years and I know the calibration is still within spec cause I have checked it out a few times. The most important thing is to take care of it.
Shoot me a PM if you have any more questions.
Wayne

Old 08-12-2005, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the tips! Didn't realize there was so much to torque-wrench ownership.

Old 08-13-2005, 05:14 PM
Has anyone tried the Home Depot Husky 1/2 torque wrench?

Old 08-15-2005, 01:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I just bought a 1/2" clicker TW from Sears. The Craftsman that goes up to 150 ft-lb was on sale for $65, reg $75. I was thinking about getting the $10 Harbor Freight one but my friend said it actually blew up in his hand.

I also bought a socket for the stock lugs. I believe they are 21 mm, but I found that 13/16" fit more snugly so I bought a deep one. Also, I bought a 3/8" drive adapter to use with my power drill. But I also needed a 3/8"-->1/2" drive adapter on top of that. The drill helps to spin the nuts on/off quickly.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: buying a "torque wrench" for wheel nut, 3/8 or 1/2?