Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Update: lowering G35x

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 12:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Update: lowering G35x

Guys:
Just passing along an update on my G35x spring swapping saga.

History:
About a year ago, I lowered my G35x with a set of Eibach Prokit springs intended for the RWD G35. The rears were fine, however the front was bottoming out over dips. It was sugguested that I trim the bumpstops by 1.25". I did, and that helped a lot. Less bottoming out.

Then it was Summer, and I installed a set of heavy 20" rims. The added unsprung weight really taxed the suspension (under dampened?), and the car bounced around like a pogo stick.

Fix:
After another plea for help, it was suggested that I try a set of OEM 350z springs. I finally had the springs installed today in my G35x. In a nutshell, the ride quality is much improved! Very controlled ride over bumps, dips, etc. even with those heavy 20" rims and 35 series tires. I am really pleased.

Theory:
In comparison to the progressive Eibach prokit I had on the car, the stiffer and linear 350z springs are a much better match for the factory struts / shocks. My theory is the progressive springs were too soft initially. By the time they firmed up, it's already at the end of its travel. I'm sure a stiffer strut would have helped, but there are no aftermarket struts for the G35x currently. The d-specs would have been a good choice.

Summary:
For you G35x owners considering lowering your car, go with the OEM 350z springs especially since the stock struts / stocks have to be retained (at least for now, until someone makes one). Special thanks goes to KChan and G35Sedan for all your generous help.

-Ken

Last edited by pimpinG; 08-20-2005 at 12:50 AM. Reason: typos
Old 08-20-2005, 01:29 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good info. However, I think you could have just changed the shocks to D-Specs which match and work very well with the Eibach pro kit. What you did was the reverse (sort of speak), you put in the Z springs which raised your car enough to better match your shocks.

Either way I'm glad you found a solution.

Old 08-20-2005, 02:25 AM
Chico:
Yes, I would have loved to install a set of d-specs. However, they will not fit on the G35x. It's been confirmed that the G35x uses a different front strut than the RWD G35. It's not the same as the FX neither. I called Tokico and they have no plans on releasing one for the X, unfortunately.

-K

Old 08-20-2005, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by pimpinG
Chico:
Yes, I would have loved to install a set of d-specs. However, they will not fit on the G35x. It's been confirmed that the G35x uses a different front strut than the RWD G35. It's not the same as the FX neither. I called Tokico and they have no plans on releasing one for the X, unfortunately.

-K
OH! Thanks...good to know. Do you know what's different on the X? I'm curious now.

Old 08-20-2005, 11:02 AM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by pimpinG
Chico:

-K
Regarding how the FX shocks are not the same, your talking about not being the same part number wise correct?

IMO, it would be worth a look to the FX as a source for shocks that have more dampning power. Though it would not surprise me if the FX shocks might have some demensional difference's regarding shock body length and piston shaft stroke distances. Though, sourcing oem FX shocks would not be easy, unlike the oem 350Z shocks for RWD G's, their's just not going to be a sea of FX shocks collecting dust in their owner's garages. Koni's shop services and their wet kit conversion does remain a viable option when faced with the next to no options. Or maybe Koni can weld the lower mounting system off the front oem shocks onto their stock 350Z shock and have what you need.

On this issue, it would be really nice if a X owner can pull a oem front shock and take pics of it. If someone would do that, I will send them a oem front shock to lay down next to the X shock for a side by side picture comparo. But someone has to be willing to do that, any X owner's out their willing?

Old 08-20-2005, 06:39 PM
pimpinG- congrats, man. hats off to you for hanging in there to follow through
with your goal and not backout like a lot of people do.

good job and enjoy!!!

Old 08-23-2005, 12:01 AM
Thanks for the kudos, Kenchan. I'm glad that's finally straightened out. GSedan35, the information I got on the FX strut was mostly from 'everything g35'

The tech looked up the part numbers, as well comparing the parts on the diagrams and concluded that they are very different. I then called Tokico and they couldn't provide much information except that it will not work.

-K

Old 10-15-2005, 01:20 PM
Hey Ken,

Thanks for the info! How much did the 350Z springs lower your x compared to the Eibachs? Any pics?

Cheers!

- Ryan

Old 03-07-2006, 01:56 PM
pimpinG,

Any update on the ride quality now that it has been a bunch of months ?

Old 03-10-2006, 09:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah....i am interested as well......How much did the 350z springs lower the car from stock on the X?

I was seriously thinking about getting the eibach springs but now I am going to look into these.

Old 06-14-2006, 10:53 PM
just checking, but are there any more updates pimpinG? or better yet does anyone know if any company man'ed up and put out a basic set of coils?

Old 11-12-2006, 01:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how much are oem Z springs? I know you can go staggered wheels on the X, so how wide of a rim size can you go on the X?

Old 11-12-2006, 01:20 PM
sorry typo "can" - I meant can't

Old 11-12-2006, 02:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
search, this has been discussed over and over. There is a thread in the sedan section for lowering G35X's. You can get get used 350z springs for around $100.

The widest you can run in the front is 8.5 so you the widest you can go in the rear is 8.5.

Last edited by KrazyEd; 11-12-2006 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:56 AM
thanks, so by how much does the Z springs lower?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Update: lowering G35x