Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

245/40R19 Potenza tires w/screw...repairable?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 02:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
245/40R19 Potenza tires w/screw...repairable?

Tires only have 7200 miles on it and the dealer said there's a screw lodged in the outer tread, about an inch away from the side wall. Dealer won't fix it due to liability issues stating due to the type of tire, patching it may result in a blown tire at high speeds. Has anybody had a screw in their tire and patched it up with no probs? If so, how long have you been running on them since patching it up?

Bridgestone Potenza RE050A 245/40R19
Treadwear 40; Traction A; Temperature A
(Tires that came along with the premium pkg)

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-16-2005, 02:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
had a screw in my 245/45/18 NT555s. Had it repaired by local Tire shop.

Took the car well above 120 numerous times since then.. probably 8k miles ago.

Old 12-16-2005, 02:57 PM
I recently had a simliar problem. I had my car in for the 7500 mile service with the dealer at 7600 miles on the car. I thought there was a nail in the right rear tire and told them to patch it. They called me later in the day and informed me that there was a bolt in the tire and it compromised the sidewall. They replaced the tire and in the process scuffed up the wheel. I had to take it back to get the wheel fixed. I had the dealer do all of this because I didn't want to spend time going to other places. In retrospect, I should have taken the car to a tire/wheel place and gotten a second opinion. The new tire would have been cheaper too. My advice, get another opinion.

Old 12-16-2005, 03:36 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by LjN_728
Tires only have 7200 miles on it and the dealer said there's a screw lodged in the outer tread, about an inch away from the side wall. Dealer won't fix it due to liability issues stating due to the type of tire, patching it may result in a blown tire at high speeds. Has anybody had a screw in their tire and patched it up with no probs? If so, how long have you been running on them since patching it up?

Thanks in advance!
Your dealer is right bro. Don't chance it. Any patch on a tire will compromise its speed rating.
C.

Old 12-16-2005, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by Msedanman
Your dealer is right bro. Don't chance it. Any patch on a tire will compromise its speed rating.
C.
THAT IS COMPLETE UNTRUE! PLEASE STOP TALKING OUT YOUR ***

there are speed rating repairs. I've done it TONS of times.

On my 3000GT VR4, Jaguard, XJS and Jaguar XJR. ESPECIALLY the XJR that thing got a flat once a month.

Old 12-16-2005, 03:52 PM
www.tires.com has a pretty useful info center inregards to tire repair, pressure, why new tires go on the back. i think anything near the shoulders is unrepairable cuz its outside of the steel belts. http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoRepairingTires.dos

Old 12-16-2005, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by sydg35
www.tires.com has a pretty useful info center inregards to tire repair, pressure, why new tires go on the back. i think anything near the shoulders is unrepairable cuz its outside of the steel belts. http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoRepairingTires.dos
EXACTLY.
thank you SYD

Old 12-16-2005, 04:25 PM
But the dealer said they couldn't repair these particular tires due it being low pro tires. They're about half the width of normal tires.

Old 12-16-2005, 05:52 PM
O.F. Administrator
Originally Posted by DarthStimpy
THAT IS COMPLETE UNTRUE! PLEASE STOP TALKING OUT YOUR ***

there are speed rating repairs. I've done it TONS of times.

On my 3000GT VR4, Jaguard, XJS and Jaguar XJR. ESPECIALLY the XJR that thing got a flat once a month.

DarthStimpy
Mind your P's and Q's there sonny boy or you'll be on the outside lookin' in.
Disrespecting, especially Moderators and Admins here isn't tollerated. You follow?
You want to discuss something, then you do it politely.

Now I'll repeat what I said, and it's from good source, not from someone talking out the butt:

When you repair a tire, it compromises the speed rating and creates an unsafe condition.

Regardless of what you have done in the past.

Colin.

Old 12-16-2005, 06:39 PM
O.F. Administrator

Thanks in advance!
LjN_728.
Be careful what you hear......Nobody wants you to have a problem with your ride.
I've attached a link to a discussion about tire safety and repairs for your perusal.....

I bring to your attention paragraph 2 in the 'Puncture Repair' chapter:

A punctured speed rated tire brings with it additional considerations. While some tire manufacturers "allow" a tire to retain its speed rating if a specified multi-step repair procedure is followed exactly, most tire manufacturers reason that since they have no control over the damage caused by the puncture or the quality of the repair, they cannot confirm that the tire has retained its high speed capability. Therefore, their policy is that a punctured and repaired tire no longer retains its speed rating and should be treated as a non-speed rated tire.
G/L
Colin.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...currentpage=38

Old 12-16-2005, 07:25 PM
Thanks C' for the information. I never realized that you needed to seal the interior of the tire rather than just pluggin' up the hole. I was able to get ahold of Bridgestone Corp. and they recommended I'd go to Firestone Tires and have them inspect it. But knowing them, I'm sure they rather sell me a $300 tire than patch it up for $20.

Sorry about the way DarthStimpy made a comment to your earlier posting. If I knew this subject would've sparked an argument, I wouldn't have posted. Thanks again!

Old 12-16-2005, 07:59 PM
O.F. Administrator
Thanks C' for the information. I never realized that you needed to seal the interior of the tire rather than just pluggin' up the hole. I was able to get ahold of Bridgestone Corp. and they recommended I'd go to Firestone Tires and have them inspect it. But knowing them, I'm sure they rather sell me a $300 tire than patch it up for $20.

Sorry about the way DarthStimpy made a comment to your earlier posting. If I knew this subject would've sparked an argument, I wouldn't have posted. Thanks again!
Glad to help bro, as we all are. No worries with some 'off' colour posts. I'm sure DarthStimpy didn't mean quite what he said.
It's all good.
Good luck with a repair/replacement.
C.

Old 12-19-2005, 11:51 AM
UPDATE:

This past Saturday I took my car to Firestone Tires, since they are the makers. Technician said and I quote "We can not and will never fix run flat tires". Said it's not that it'll blow out during high speeds but rather it'll compromise the speed rating. Quoted me $375 for a need tire.

Later that day I went to Target and noticed another Firestone Tire service center. Took it there and the technician said, "We will never fix a run flat tire. Nobody and I mean nobody will service those tires due to liability". Quoted me $325 for a new tire.

Later when I was driving home, I stopped by the local Just Tires store. He said, "Ah man...we can't do it." Then I started thinking in my head damn not again. Friggin' tires!! I asked him why not? He said "I don't wanna ufck up those nice rims." He later fixed them for $20. YAY!

To sum it all up, while you can fix run flat tires, the only thing it'll compromise is the speed rating but like the tech at Firestone said, you won't feel the difference unless you were going in excess of 100mph or so.

I know I should've listened to Msedanman but damn, tires only have 7200 miles on them and I surely didn't want to spend $300 for a new one.

Old 12-19-2005, 02:11 PM
O.F. Administrator
I must add that if it were mine, I would have considered fixing it too, depending on the damage. Obviously, if the damage is minimal and the hole is small, then the risk is smaller too.
So long as you are aware of the issue, you should be ok, man. I'm sure these guys (the manufactureres) err on the side of caution, and to a safe legal position , and I'm sure we all have had repairs of this type done at one time or another.

Just avoid those high-speed passes.

G/L and take care.
Colin

Old 12-19-2005, 04:23 PM
UPDATE:

This past Saturday I took my car to Firestone Tires, since they are the makers. Technician said and I quote "We can not and will never fix run flat tires". Said it's not that it'll blow out during high speeds but rather it'll compromise the speed rating. Quoted me $375 for a need tire.

Later that day I went to Target and noticed another Firestone Tire service center. Took it there and the technician said, "We will never fix a run flat tire. Nobody and I mean nobody will service those tires due to liability". Quoted me $325 for a new tire.
Hmm...that's odd. I'm surprised that the Firestone techs said that the RE050's that we have on the 2005's are run-flat tires cause I don't think they are. Just to confirm this, I went to their web site and found this page (see end of post for link) that displays the specs for their tires and if you look, they are not classified as run-flat tires.

I'm just curious that they'd say that unless this isn't true. I guess they really want you to buy a tire from them.

http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tires...productid=1063

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 245/40R19 Potenza tires w/screw...repairable?