Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

OEM 19" tire wear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 11:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM 19" tire wear

Is it a common thing to have all 4 tires have more wear on the outside? I've noticed that on all 4 of my tires, the outside seems to wear out faster. I have the OEM bridgestone tires with OEM 19" wheels. I have 13k miles on them right now.

Old 03-27-2006, 01:39 PM
No, that seems a little weird. If everything on your car is stock you should not be having this problem. Might wanna check the alignment of the car.

Old 03-27-2006, 01:46 PM
Evil Bastard
Actually, there's been some reports of unusal tire wear, but most of those are for the insides of the fronts.

Sounds like your alignment is kinda screwy. Ask your friendly local infiniti dealer. And when they tell you to replace all of your tires, and that it's not covered, go get an alignment done, live with the tire roaring, and then get new tires.

That seems to be the sequence everyone goes through.

Old 03-27-2006, 01:46 PM
yea, everything is pretty much stock. think dealer would check it for free?

Old 03-27-2006, 03:38 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had them check my alignment, Camber, and a few other things when I had my free 7500 mile checkup about 2 weeks ago. Everything was fine and free. My car is less then year old.

Old 03-27-2006, 03:58 PM
Location: Metropolitan South Farmington, not too far from the supercity we all know as Wilmot, NS
Excessive outside wear means:

pressures low (inside edge should be more worn than centre, too)
camber very high
you've really been pushing it in the corners (are the edges slightly blued and shiny? any feathering or scalloping?)

My outer edges are worn more than the middles too, but I only have 6.2K miles on them right now (still have the winter boots on right now)- it should be more apparent by summer's end.

A suggestion for all here is to ask for a tire wear assessment with every service. With my first G I did this and was happy to discuss with the guy caring for my car what he thought. He put a guage on them every time (takes 5 mins to do all four at 3-5 points per tire.) I've never been charged for it, and it helps to keep an eye on the most expensive wearable item on the car.

Current trend in getting cars better planted is to dial in a bit more camber and toe in, which together also help to reduce tramlining on crappy roads and makes for more crisp turn-in.

Suggest discussing again with the service mgr/ knowledgeable mechanic to be sure they are confident that the wear pattern is what they consider to be normal- always tough here on the boards to tell, especially sans pics.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
Derek

Old 03-27-2006, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by derek
Excessive outside wear means:

pressures low (inside edge should be more worn than centre, too)
camber very high
you've really been pushing it in the corners (are the edges slightly blued and shiny? any feathering or scalloping?)

My outer edges are worn more than the middles too, but I only have 6.2K miles on them right now (still have the winter boots on right now)- it should be more apparent by summer's end.

A suggestion for all here is to ask for a tire wear assessment with every service. With my first G I did this and was happy to discuss with the guy caring for my car what he thought. He put a guage on them every time (takes 5 mins to do all four at 3-5 points per tire.) I've never been charged for it, and it helps to keep an eye on the most expensive wearable item on the car.

Current trend in getting cars better planted is to dial in a bit more camber and toe in, which together also help to reduce tramlining on crappy roads and makes for more crisp turn-in.

Suggest discussing again with the service mgr/ knowledgeable mechanic to be sure they are confident that the wear pattern is what they consider to be normal- always tough here on the boards to tell, especially sans pics.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
Derek
Thanks Derek, I've only been checking my tire pressure recently, and been keeping it around 32PSI. my pressure might have been low before. I push corners, but not very often. I will try to take some pics. thanks for everyone's help.

Old 03-27-2006, 04:18 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Fini
Is it a common thing to have all 4 tires have more wear on the outside? I've noticed that on all 4 of my tires, the outside seems to wear out faster. I have the OEM bridgestone tires with OEM 19" wheels. I have 13k miles on them right now.
Put some negative camber on that biatch!

Old 03-27-2006, 04:36 PM
I just noticed a similar problem with my OEM 19s, and the explanation I got from a friend/Z owner that it's a design issue. He said our suspension is designed so that at acceleration, with the back end "squatting" down, the tires will camber inwards such that the wheel is perfectly upright.

Old 03-27-2006, 04:48 PM
Can these OEM 19s be rotated side to side to take care of feathering?

Old 03-27-2006, 04:57 PM
i don't think so. they are directional AND outside/inside labels.

Old 03-27-2006, 05:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Fini
Thanks Derek, I've only been checking my tire pressure recently, and been keeping it around 32PSI. my pressure might have been low before. I push corners, but not very often. I will try to take some pics. thanks for everyone's help.
Check your specifications, my sticker says to keep it at 35psi on all four. I have 18s, but for you it should be higher if anything not lower.

Old 03-27-2006, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by TheKnite
Check your specifications, my sticker says to keep it at 35psi on all four. I have 18s, but for you it should be higher if anything not lower.
our 19" tires *are* supposed to be 35 psi cold.

Old 03-27-2006, 05:18 PM
DOH!

Old 03-27-2006, 07:01 PM
Location: Metropolitan South Farmington, not too far from the supercity we all know as Wilmot, NS
18's and 19's both 35psi cold.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: OEM 19" tire wear