Spur of the Moment Mod

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 09:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Spur of the Moment Mod

Last week out at Bald Hill Performance Motorsports was out with their 350z, and their white Skyline GTR, so naturally after taking 100 pictures of the Skyline, I went up and introduced myself to Adam and started up the general car chatter. We bull****ted for a bit about the random everyday things, and then started talking about their shop, their plans, their grand opening on August 23rd, and eventually the topic reached a Greddy G35 Sedan Exhuast, brand new, in an unopened box, which they have had laying around for roughly a year now. So we ofcourse worked out a nice deal on it, which I wont publically advertise, but it was WAY less than any online prices for it. I told them to hold onto it for me, and I will let them know before the next Bald Hill show. From this point on honestly I never considered this exhuast...

... until yesterday. I woke up and started thinking about Bald Hill and remembered this conversation with Adam about the exhuast. I thought about it while browsing G35Driver in the morning and found a For Sale thread of a Megan Exhuast, Midpipe, and Y-Pipe for $400, not including shipping from Florida, and I was honestly about to pick this setup up until I really sat down and compared the two. True the Megan came with a Y-Pipe, while the Greddy setup didn't, however I felt alot better trusting Greddy with not cracking than Megan, and while I hear from everyone that Megan is one of the loudest exhuasts out for the G35, I also hear it drones alot at low rpms, which would annoy the **** out of my girl, and me on those days I get headaches from everyones bull****. Finally I considered the fact that the Greddy exhuast was local, and would be installed today as opposed to be waiting for it to be shipped to me within the week.

So I jumped off work early, called up Adam and said im coming for my exhuast, and started out on the 56 mile drive out to Performance Motorsports. Finding the shop wasn't hard at all as it is surrounded by Smithtown Nissan, and Smithtown VW with a couple of big signs pointing to the shop. Once inside, I was a little bit awe-struck as I walked into a fully furnished, air conditioned shop, with two huge flat screens sitting on opposite sides of the walls facing each other, Volk and HRE rims were out on display, along with TEIN coilovers, HKS exhuasts, and Garrett turbo's. I have never seen a cleaner shop to date.

A quick transaction, some general chit-chat, and a sound demonstration of the Skyline, and I was on my way to Mitchy's Auto Service (G35_LI's place) to get this Greddy exhuast mounted. I will put up a review of Mitchy's Auto Service into its own seperate thread, so from this point on I will just skip to the pictures, which if you dont like the quality on, buy me a better camera, or deal with it.

The car sounds completely different, although it has retained the stock purr, and at idle sounds like no exhuast is on the car at all. Past 2.5K RPM the purr of the Greddy exhuast, combined with the sound the VQ35 makes is just music to my ears, and I can really feel the difference in the cars acceleration as it doesn't feel so bogged down in certain places any-more.

Here are two very ****ty quality exhuast sound clips:

http://s245.photobucket.com/albums/g...t=PICT0612.flv

http://s245.photobucket.com/albums/g...t=PICT0614.flv

Old 08-25-2008, 07:45 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
looks good! that was my previous setup

Old 08-26-2008, 01:16 AM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
Looks, and from what i can tell, sounds great!

Old 08-28-2008, 03:24 PM
Banned
i dont like single tip exhaust tips on the G
it doesnt flow well at all

Old 12-09-2008, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by LuXXXz
i dont like single tip exhaust tips on the G
it doesnt flow well at all
I think the mudguards help it out. Im thinking about the nismo rear lip to set it off though, with front mudguards.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sweetness!looks like mine

Old 12-09-2008, 11:11 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
to each their own. not a fan of single exhaust's. especially on g's

Old 12-09-2008, 03:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
daumm... not another coffe can muffler. leave that for RICERS.

Old 12-10-2008, 02:48 AM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
I think it looks good. Not too crazy but still aggressive. I guess I am bias since I have single tip mufflers on my car.

Old 12-10-2008, 02:00 PM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
That's ugly and big! I hope it doesn't sound like a rice cannon, because it sure looks like one. I am feelin' the SS though, I wish stock came like that!

Old 12-10-2008, 02:04 PM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
I think it looks hot!

Old 12-10-2008, 02:21 PM
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Not a big fan of the single can either, which is why I went with the stillen gen2 dual. Kinda hard to judge the sound with the video sound quality but doesn't sound bad at all.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:19 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yea I like it! I have the same set up, except I had the resonator replaced with a straight pipe. Made my car sound much meaner. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

With that exhaust OP your ride looks tuff.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:30 AM
Received 451 Likes on 305 Posts
Added to the "exhaust" thread...thanks for sharing.

I have a friend that has this setup on his sedan...it has a nice tone and very quiet at idle....I like it

Old 12-12-2008, 03:24 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by G35papa
t has a nice tone and very quiet at idle....I like it
+1 I'm very surprised at how quiet it is, really one of the best sounding exhausts for the sedan, but like the rest said... not feeling the single fat exhaust on the sedan, coupe... anyday.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Spur of the Moment Mod