Window tint question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 11:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window tint question

Ok so excuse my lack of terminolgy but!

I recenetly got my windows tinted and I think it looks like aboslute cr@p on the rear window because the tint goes all the way up to, here comes the ignorant terminology, the bumpy stuff at the top of the window, where the guy said the tint wont stick, is that true, because I havent looked but seems to me i have never seen anything like that before, it looks HORRIBLE. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:51 PM
First time I've ever heard that. No, that is not true.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you dont tint windows for a living dont chime in with your 2 cents please it just makes you look stupid
yes the dot matrix will make it look like crap at the top you have a 50 50 chance that the painted dots are not that thick so it wont look all distorted you can go back to you tinter and ask him to cut off the tint at the bottom of the dot matrix and apply vinyl on the inside at the top any good tinter will know what you are talking about or second opp is to have a vinyl shop put gloss black vinyl at the top of the window on the outside to cover it up or 3rd just live with it I personally put the blk vinyl on the outside of mine hope this helped

The following users liked this post:
2ffst4u (03-04-2012)
Old 03-22-2009, 01:01 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
post pics, out of how many tint jobs i've seen, never heard of this kind of install

Old 03-22-2009, 01:47 AM
Looks like you are correct. I was speaking from personal experience and have never had an issue. Live and learn. Just had mine done recently and am happy with the results.

Originally Posted by cwhealon78
if you dont tint windows for a living dont chime in with your 2 cents please it just makes you look stupid
yes the dot matrix will make it look like crap at the top you have a 50 50 chance that the painted dots are not that thick so it wont look all distorted you can go back to you tinter and ask him to cut off the tint at the bottom of the dot matrix and apply vinyl on the inside at the top any good tinter will know what you are talking about or second opp is to have a vinyl shop put gloss black vinyl at the top of the window on the outside to cover it up or 3rd just live with it I personally put the blk vinyl on the outside of mine hope this helped

Old 03-25-2009, 01:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This exact thing happened to me. Basically never going back to the tint shop because I went back twice asking for them to fix it and the kept telling me their was nothing they could do. I haven't gotten it fixed yet but plan too in the near future I just don't have the time right now.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SCXR
Looks like you are correct. I was speaking from personal experience and have never had an issue. Live and learn. Just had mine done recently and am happy with the results.

A friend of mine just got her G coupe tinted, and they cut it just inside the dot matrix stuff on the windows, leaving a slight gap like the picture above. Not sure if hers was hand cut tint or computer cut.

I just got mine tinted last week (done by hand), and they overlapped past the dot matrix stuff so it looks perfect from outside the car. The tint is sticking to the dots just fine on mine.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:57 AM
tint

so it sounds like you guys know what your talking about and i just thought id see if anyone could chime in with a suggestion.

I have an 05 G35 coupe, graphite and am getting my windows tinted this week but i was curious on how dark to go? any suggestions

Old 04-16-2009, 07:34 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Needanewcar
so it sounds like you guys know what your talking about and i just thought id see if anyone could chime in with a suggestion.

I have an 05 G35 coupe, graphite and am getting my windows tinted this week but i was curious on how dark to go? any suggestions
Do what is legal in your area. If legality isn't much of an issue to you, then I really like 20% all around.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:28 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Glad someone else asked this question. The tint on my rear window stops at the dot matrix as well, I like the black vinyl idea someone stated. Luckily my side rear windows are completely covered.

Old 04-17-2009, 04:37 PM
G35 6MT
Originally Posted by Reidonly
A friend of mine just got her G coupe tinted, and they cut it just inside the dot matrix stuff on the windows, leaving a slight gap like the picture above. Not sure if hers was hand cut tint or computer cut.
That friend is meeeeee! .. I had my windows tinted by a very reputable shop and they, yep, stopped the tint right on the edge of the 'dots'. It doesn't bother me -- but then again, I have a black interior, so it's probably not as obvious as it is on those with a lighter interior.

I have 20% all around and absolutely love it. But if cops in your area are nuts about tint, I'd play it safe and go with 30-35%.

Here's a pic of it. Stolen from Reid. Hee.

Last edited by [Rush]; 04-17-2009 at 04:42 PM.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I took mine to a little ma&pa shop in Westminster at the Asian Gardens, they told me what's legal, what's not legal, and about the dot matrix etc. They did a great job on mine. No pics yet! =[ Camera is MIA.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:07 PM
Back in SD**

Received 63 Likes on 8 Posts
I tinted my own and I didn't stop at the dot matrix. It doesn't look bad at all. My tint isn't perfect, but the dot matrix doesn't look bad either. For a few days after I tinted my rear window I randomly squeegeed/pressed the edges of the tint in order to keep as much air out of the dot matrix & defroster as possible.

BTW, I have 5% metallic on the rear and 2.5% metallic on the sides. The 2.5% wasn't long enough for the rear, so I had to buy a professional roll, which I couldn't find lower than 5% at an affordable price.