DIY LED headlight thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 07:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
DIY LED headlight thread

So, I think this may be the first DIY LED headlight thread on the internet. I searched everywhere and couldn't find anything ANYWHERE! I really wanted this mod and didn't want to pay $1,000+ for someone else to do this, my end cost for this whole thing was just under $100, including soldering tools.

As a precursor, I had ZERO experience with soldering, LEDs, or painting my headlights, I learned this all on my own. So, if I messed up on anything, please let me know and I'll correct it. All I know is I had a wiring guy check it out and he said it was good to go.

---------------------

Equipment:
10mm socket w/ extenders
Soldering gun
Solder (I used 60/40)
5mm super bright LEDs (mine were 3v a piece)
100 ohm resistors
Black and red 22 gauge stranded wire

1.) First step is to pull off your bumper and get your lights out (there's other DIYs for this, so I wont go over it)
REMEMBER TO TAPE YOUR BUMPER!!!!! You WILL scratch it if you don't!! I doubled up the tape because I'm paranoid.

2.) Next is to bake your headlights and pull them apart (There's also another DIY for this as well)
REMEMBER TO REMOVE YOUR HID BALASTS BEFORE BAKING!!! Also, you don't have to remove all your bulbs, go ahead and leave them in.

3.) Here's my housing painted

4.) Next, pick your spot and drill your holes. The picture was my first attempt using graph paper and lining it up along the strip, obviously I wasn't very precise, but I fixed it later.

A lot of people asked me why I didn't put the LEDs IN the strip; first off, I like them better beside it, and also, LED's are directional. The more you cover up on the LED the less you'll be able to see of it unless you're in its line of fire. On the strip, more of the LED was covered up than if I had it beside the strip, showing more light from different angles.

5.) Now you're ready to start running your LEDs.

LEDs are not like regular lights. They need positive to positive and negative to negative, if the polarity is reversed, they simply will not turn on.

Remember, the longer side is the positive and the shorter side is negative.

6.) Next thing you want to do is to solder your 100 ohm resistor on to the positive side of your first LED (I forgot to take a picture of this, I found this picture on the internet, so this may or may not be a 100 ohm resistor in this picture)

7.) Now for the meat of it. You have aprox. a 12v source coming from your battery, with each of my LEDs being 3v a piece, you would connect them in series of 4 (Which means you would do your first LED with the 100 ohm resistor soldered on it as your first LED, then LED 2, 3, and 4 in a series soldered on to each other going positive to negative, positive to negative)

In this picture, I braided the negative wire down the LEDs just to keep a clean look, you don't have to do this, but it does make it cleaner with less wires to get tangled.

I ran two sets of four LEDs (The picture shows my first set of 1, 2, 3, and 4), and my last set was only 3 LEDs. I still used the 100 ohm resistor on the bottom three mostly because those are the forward firing ones and I wanted them the brightest.

So, you'll have how ever many sets of 4 LEDs you chose to do.

FOR EVERY SET OF 4 LEDS, YOU'LL HAVE A POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE WIRE!!! Basically, if you had 3 sets of 4 LEDs, you'd have 3 positive wires and 3 negative wires. Just twist them together and it looks like this:

To keep the LEDs in place, make SURE you use something that you can remove!! Since the LEDs are in series, they are like christmas lights; if one of them goes out, the remaining ones in that series will go out as well! I made the mistake of using silicone the first time and had to cut them all out. I used a velcro strip because its really sticky and will keep them in place, but you can use duct tape or something similar.

8.) I wanted my LEDs to turn on with my city lights, so I tap spliced them into them. For the city light, the yellow/green wire is the positive and the black is the negative

9.) Tap splice them in (or whatever method of getting power to them you want. If you want them to blink, tap splice them into your turn signals)

10.) Test them before you bake them to make sure they work(made this mistake myself the first time). You can test them with a drill battery, that's what I used.

11.) Bake them and put them back on your car. Such a clean look!

Some night shots

That's it everyone! Please don't steal this, I worked way too hard figuring all this crap out to have my work stolen.

I live in the San Diego and am a fairly nice guy, if you're ever in the area hit me up and for a case of beer I might help you out.

Last edited by tweger; 05-09-2010 at 07:29 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by tweger:
GTX915 (01-06-2012), nujeru74 (08-08-2014)
Old 05-09-2010, 07:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice write up!
i might want to do this when i have the time

Old 05-09-2010, 08:44 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Well done! I don't know if it's possible, but as you said, LEDs are directional, would there have been a way to drill the holes so they all face toward the front? Some of them are pointing almost straight up. What we call down here, "Coon Huntin'"

Old 05-09-2010, 10:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nice write up thanks

Old 05-09-2010, 10:23 PM
ill Sedan

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,448 Posts
Cool writeup.

Originally Posted by Texasscout
Well done! I don't know if it's possible, but as you said, LEDs are directional, would there have been a way to drill the holes so they all face toward the front? Some of them are pointing almost straight up. What we call down here, "Coon Huntin'"
When I first read this I took this the wrong way, then I realized you must be talking about racoons.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:43 PM
You would be correct. The dogs always "tree" a coon so your light is always up.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:57 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 335 Likes on 187 Posts
nice rite up bro

Old 05-10-2010, 06:29 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks nice, but you painted over the reflector area for the lights!

Old 05-10-2010, 10:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very nicely done!

Old 05-10-2010, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by tweger
As a precursor, I had ZERO experience with soldering, LEDs, or painting my headlights, I learned this all on my own. So, if I messed up on anything, please let me know and I'll correct it. All I know is I had a wiring guy check it out and he said it was good to go.
Awesome write up man and this part is really good to hear. I too want to do my headlights but I have NO experience at all. I think I'll pick up some spares and see what I can come up with

Old 05-10-2010, 01:43 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by grovefromnh
It doesn't look like he did...

Nice job, we've needed a DIY for this for a long time

I noticed you drilled after painting. Which side did you drill from (front or back)?

Old 05-10-2010, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by grovefromnh
O, check pic number two.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:47 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts
Nice job!

Old 05-11-2010, 05:24 AM
N/a

Last edited by Minheeeme; 05-16-2011 at 04:05 AM. Reason: None
Old 01-10-2011, 10:44 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
great job man, wish u were closer Toronto!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY LED headlight thread