Odd right rear break wear.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 11:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Odd right rear break wear.

My right rear brake looks like it is not applying fully. The rotor only has brake wear on about the middle third of the surface, and surface rust on the inner and 1/2" of the rotor surface. It almost looks like the caliper has too narrow of pads in it.

Attached Thumbnails Odd right rear break wear.-324.jpg  
Old 04-28-2015, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Originally Posted by jberd45
My right rear brake looks like it is not applying fully. The rotor only has brake wear on about the middle third of the surface, and surface rust on the inner and 1/2" of the rotor surface. It almost looks like the caliper has too narrow of pads in it.
Rebuild the caliper (pull, press out piston, disconnect lines, leave in brake fluid overnight and then clean with steel wool). Likely it is dragging on one side from dust/grime build up. While servicing, have this rotor turned, as it is likely coned from odd application.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:02 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
May need a new caliper

Old 04-28-2015, 01:59 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
check the guide pins on the caliper. should slide back and forth pretty easily. if not you just need a new pin and not have to buy a new caliper.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:20 PM
What a lot of work to do to a car that "had the brakes done" at the dealership before I bought it! I'll check the pins first, if that's not it where can I buy a caliper rebuild kit?

Old 04-29-2015, 09:01 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
What a lot of work to do to a car that "had the brakes done" at the dealership before I bought it! I'll check the pins first, if that's not it where can I buy a caliper rebuild kit?

Don't bother.

Buy a reman caliper on Rockauto.com for under $40 (plus core) and just swap the caliper out and bleed that brake. Local Parts stores might have them too but unsure of the cost. The rear calipers were used on a few Nissan products, so that's why costs are low (relatively speaking)

Seized rear calipers are common on these cars. Either the slide pins size, or the piston rusts out and seizes.

I've replaced both rear calipers on my car. It's just quicker

Old 04-29-2015, 09:23 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
"Had the brakes done at the dealership?" All that means is the lowest mechanic on the line (might have been the yard boy) installed pads. Done right, who knows? It does sound like your caliper is partially frozen and needs to be replaced!
Gary

Old 04-29-2015, 09:37 AM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
If brakes were done at the dealership, just take it back. They have to warranty their own work. But most likely is bad caliper.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Don't bother. Buy a reman caliper on Rockauto.com for under $40 (plus core) and just swap the caliper out and bleed that brake. Local Parts stores might have them too but unsure of the cost. The rear calipers were used on a few Nissan products, so that's why costs are low (relatively speaking) Seized rear calipers are common on these cars. Either the slide pins size, or the piston rusts out and seizes. I've replaced both rear calipers on my car. It's just quicker
Remains are a solid choice.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:47 AM
If brakes were done at the dealership, just take it back. They have to warranty their own work. But most likely is bad caliper.
I would, except I bought the car in Kansas City and I don't have the time to drive 500 or so miles back there. Besides, if they didn't do it right the first time, why would they do it right a second time? Easier to get a caliper and pressure bleeder and fix it myself in an afternoon.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:01 PM
I would, except I bought the car in Kansas City and I don't have the time to drive 500 or so miles back there. Besides, if they didn't do it right the first time, why would they do it right a second time? Easier to get a caliper and pressure bleeder and fix it myself in an afternoon.
I just replaced one this past weekend. Less than an hour to take wheel off, swap caliper and bleed that one brake.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:06 PM
You know what's even more odd? I just went out to look at it and it's no longer stuck. Totally normal wear on the rotor. Oh well,time to save up for bigger brakes.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:31 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
You know what's even more odd? I just went out to look at it and it's no longer stuck. Totally normal wear on the rotor. Oh well,time to save up for bigger brakes.
Keep a very close eye on that rotor making sure it's not bright red after driving for a while. Calipers aren't in the habit of fixing themselves!
Gary

Old 04-30-2015, 08:38 AM
I'd prob grab some caliper grease, set a day aside and relube the rear caliper slide pins and inspect.

$8 tube of grease and a couple hours is cheaper than having to replace the rear brakes when a stuck caliper causes the inside pad to chew the rotor up.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:52 AM
Just to be sure, the caliper pins are the top pair of visible bolts with what appears to be a rubber boot right? Not the lower pair that bolt the caliper to the hub assembly.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Odd right rear break wear.