front end clunk blues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 10:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
front end clunk blues

Problem only started when going over small bumps, a loud metal on metal clunk with a "springy" sound afterwards, comes from drivers side sounds like its below my feet as I drive. Ive changed:

suspension
strut mounts
both whitleline control arm bushings
swaylinks

inspected control rod bushings several times by different mechanics and those bushings look fine. The last mechanic I took the car too for this problem was clueless said my cars front end looks better then his, told me to take to the dealer, but F@CK that.. Problem is the clunk now very loud on highway speeds and im somewhat afraid for my safety . I get no noise while steering, only potholes and bumps, anyone? Thank you for reading

2003 sedan RWD

Old 12-02-2015, 10:36 PM
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
is your suspension all stock? I had the version 1 SPL upper control arms and every once in a while the nut would come loose and i would get a clunk. make sure everything is tight.

Old 12-02-2015, 11:04 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Compression rod. No doubt. The bushings can look good and still be bad. If you wanna know for certain, get an alignment and if your caster is off, your como rod bushings need to be replaced

Old 12-03-2015, 12:18 AM
Thanks scraggle, I think that's the only other thing I could replace besides the ball joint (steering knuckle) but as I said I get no noise while turning... do you know how this clunky spring made from a compression rod that looks good? it honestly baffles me.

Im gonna have to get an alignment after this job so doing it twice is gonna be too much $$ any idea other test i can do to prove that this is my problem?

buying a control rod from auto zone a dumb idea?

thanks

Old 12-03-2015, 09:36 AM
bushings?

Ive read this from another forum post, Im not sure if its true guys??? PLEASE chime in if you know.. :

"Compression rod itself is a solid aluminum part! Nothing wrong can happen with it other than in an accident."

should I just buy whiteline bushing replacements? or buy a whole new compression rod ? also unsure if i should go with stock or muchh cheaper aftermarket

Old 12-03-2015, 10:09 AM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
What brand strut mounts did you use? Someone recently had an annoying clunk and traced it to new KYB strut mounts, switched to a different brand and noise went away.

If it feels like it's right under your feet, then that's where the compression rod is. Try looking at them with the suspension "loaded" as any movement will be more apparent than when hanging down with the car jacked up.

As far as replacing compression rods, I'm probably going to go with MEVOTECH arms available on Rockauto. The stock bushing can be replaced if you have access to a press, but the ball joint isn't replaceable.

Old 12-03-2015, 10:44 AM
i used stock strut mounts for replacement.

The ball joint was what i was questioning, i guess it MAY be causing the clunk too , right? i just saw a duralast comp rod but im not sure if its really bad quality, however ive heard the infinity one is not good either , I really dont know, id sure prefer to pay less . the duralast is 84.99

Last edited by cyrus32; 12-03-2015 at 01:41 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 01:54 PM
Received 130 Likes on 125 Posts
Remove the front sway bar and see if it still happens, could be the sway bushings if everything else doesn't work.
I grease mine every oil change just to prevent this.

Old 12-03-2015, 02:25 PM
anyone know if duralast makes decent parts for our g35? i may buy thier compression rod

Old 12-03-2015, 02:27 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Originally Posted by cyrus32
Thanks scraggle, I think that's the only other thing I could replace besides the ball joint (steering knuckle) but as I said I get no noise while turning... do you know how this clunky spring made from a compression rod that looks good? it honestly baffles me.

Im gonna have to get an alignment after this job so doing it twice is gonna be too much $$ any idea other test i can do to prove that this is my problem?

buying a control rod from auto zone a dumb idea?

thanks
Can't be any worse than the garbage comp rods that Infiniti put in there to begin with. I would replace the bushings with polyurethane before you install them tho, to keep this from happening again. Also, I'd invest in a lifetime or multi year alignment if they're available in your area. It'll pay for itself 10x over with this car

Old 12-04-2015, 03:56 PM
solved!!!!!!!!!

replaced control rod today with one from auto zone. clunk is gone!! thanks again Scraggle!

Ive spent well over $1000, its such a relief for me to say this is over!

I just wanted to add!! IT WAS THE BALL JOINT NOT THE BUSHING CREATING THE CLUNK. Im glad i didnt listen to other posts about only changing the bushing. If you suspect you have a bad control rod, SWAP THE WHOLE PART!

entire install took the mechanic about 10 mins to change with a blow torch.